PDA

View Full Version : Best "low tech" test...

ironman
11-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Anybody here have favorite tunes to test out their speakers with ?

Imaging: Pink Floyd "One Of These Days" bass drum dead center and right between your eyes.

Mid: Janis and Big Brother "Summertime" the fuzz tone lead solo comes at you outta know where and will make you jump !

Alternate: Donovan "Hurdy Gurdy Man" Pages solo - like a hot saber in the spine.

LF/Woofers: CS&N "Long Time Gone" - even the freaking
couch shakes.

Overall fun: Any of Sly's "top 10" will make you check to see if your phone or doorbell just rang !

Alternate - Glenn Miller "In The Mood"

Tweets ? I'm open and curious !

Fred Sanford
11-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Quick batch I grabbed recently to hear my 4333As, it's an odd cross-section:

Stay Awake, track 2- Bonnie Raitt w/Was Not Was, John Patitucci, Jim Keltner. Gorgeous. With the 4333s, I heard every time she licked her lips between singing, I swear it. Upright bass is beautiful.

Prince, the song "7". Very bass-heavy, builds up with lots of stuff going on. Lesser systems bog down & smear everything together.

George Winston, Linus & Lucy album, track 1. Wanted some acoustic piano, plus I like the plucked section at the end.

Walter Becker, 11 Tracks Of Whack, song "Down In The Bottom". Really in-your-face electronic snare, predictably clean but quirky production, can be brittle or irritating on some systems.

Don Ross, Passion Sessions. Fingerstyle steel string guitar, nice production with natural reverbs. Easy to pick out when the tweeters are running a bit hot. Can be boxy-sounding, often depending on speaker location as much as type. Really inspiring when everything is set up right, at least to me.

Big Head Todd, Sister Sweetly album. Over-produced (David Z from Prince's band?), reverbs & FX on EVERYTHING, but I still find myself reaching for it all the time. Just my familiarity with it makes it a good reference for me.

There you go,

je

rek50
11-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Tweets and upper mid- the last cut on "If I Could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby" The cut "I'd Swear There Was Somebody Here" is haunting vocals. Cut 4 "Laughing" is a nice overall "Tester", for that matter listen to all the cuts. IMO it has some of the finest artists of all time.

JBLTEC
11-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Norah Jones to test accuracy and Yello to test everything, lotsa stuff going on at once and plenty of bass slam.

Jason

ironman
11-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm glad there were some responses - have to start hunting for these. I don't have a big CD collection so what I posted
was from what I have. This is a great start to look for some music that is enjoyable from both angles - often find myself not listening to the music as a whole but listening for individual phrases and how the speakers reproduce them.
Dead center on the couch in the Maxell guy position. Often as enjoyable as the music itself - but then again, you all knew that ! :applaud: