PDA

View Full Version : Replacement L Pads

majick47
11-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Did an extensive search re replacement L pads and it seemed to boil down to either call JBL or Parts Express for the same generic ( ? made in China) L pad and its more expensive from JBL than Parts Express. While checking on something else I ran across a photo Zilch posted re the Quick and Dirty 4430 with a "unknown" L pad sitting on top of his L200. I did a Google search and came up with a Fostex R80B 8ohm 100watt L pad that is an exact match. Madisonund has them listed for $21.10 each. Would the Fostex R80B be worth the extra money compared to the generic L pads? From the Madisound photo they look a lot better built with quality materials than the generic L pads. I'm sure Zilch uses nothing but the best.

Uncle Paul
11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
I've wondered about them as well. Seems to me that LPAD's are always a potential (no pun intended) point of weakness for sound quality.

majick47
11-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Replacing L pads are a pain especially if you have to remove the JBL foilcals without damaging them. Could be wrong but are they made in Japan which might explain the cost/quality ratio to the generic?

Lancer
11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
L-Pads suck. Get the best quality you can.

I don't buy the PE versions anymore after looking over the last batch I got from them.

Fixed resistor pads are the way to go.