PDA

View Full Version : Cone Colors LE5-x

Fangio
11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
After detecting this LE5, i knew that i'm not alone. There are more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-LE-5-2-Alnico-Midrange-from-L100-CENTURY-Speaker_W0QQitemZ5823671435QQcategoryZ50597QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

I would like to hear all aspects, pros & contras, or just your opinions, about the 'light', 'antique', 'vintage' (or simply faded?) look vs. mint grey. I assume this is more an aesthetic question, and so a question of taste (no sonic effects) – correct, or not? Which condition is higher regarded?

Thanks

Zilch
11-01-2005, 05:22 PM
It depends upon the intensity and duration of the exposure.

UV not only fades, it rots, alas....

Steve Schell
11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Since cones are made mostly from wood pulp, their natural color would be a light tan. Nearly all cone mixtures contain a dye to color the cones gray to black. Over time, apparently the UV light exposure fades the dye and the cone begins to regain the original color of the wood it is made from. As Zilch said, rotting of the cone often occurs as part of this process, and many old cones deteriorate to the point of falling to pieces. I would generally opt for newer looking, darker cones if given the choice.

Fangio
11-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Steve wrote:
Over time, apparently the UV light exposure fades the dye and the cone begins to regain the original color of the wood it is made from. As Zilch said, rotting of the cone often occurs as part of this process

Ah, of course.. overseen this point. :banghead:
I had this "never change a running system" in my head. But thats a K.O. argument, and makes the decision easy, to replace them. Thanks

Malefoda
08-21-2013, 02:26 PM
How to know when it's been too far soundwise?