PDA

View Full Version : Do these JBL's sound familiar?

barkingdog
10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
When I was in high school (this was at the American School of Paris in France), our music room had a pair of JBL speakers that I have never seen since. We're talking mid to late 70's here. These speakers were bright orange (cabinets and grilles), were in a cube-shaped cabinet that I beleive was made out of some kind of plastic composite something like old IBM computer casings used to be. The cabinets were "ribbed" along the corner edges (the best I can describe). They were two-way and had either a 10 or a 12" woofer and a dome tweeter with the foam damping material around it (an LE5?). The woofers had a foam surround and the dust cap was concave (i.e. was an "innie" vs. an "outie").

I just wondered if anyone knows what model these were? I've looked all over this site and don't recall seeing anything like them. I do remember that they also came with a double "demo" album which had a frequency range test as well as a "studio session" segment on it with Hoyt Axton and Mike Botts of "Bread". I trace my interest in audio to these speakers as well as my becoming an "audiofool".

Can anyone help me with my nostalgia?

Zilch
10-28-2005, 12:07 PM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1972-l25.htm

barkingdog
10-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Zilch! Yes! Those are the ones! Thanks!

.... and to think I used milk crates to make my shelving systems .....

clmrt
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
.....what's wrong with milk crates? :(

barkingdog
10-28-2005, 01:17 PM
.... I could have been using these nifty "component storage" boxes that were part of the L25 Prima system!

:cooked:

.... the short answer is "absolutely nothing" .... milk crates are the cornerstones (literally and figuratively) of college student shelving needs. They are especially cool if you have an empty industrial cable spool as your coffee table. ;)

clmrt
10-28-2005, 01:29 PM
:bouncy: Just messin!