PDA

View Full Version : Unknown treasures in plain view.

Regis
10-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Intriquingly enough, I found a treasure trove right here at work. I found some serious high-powered drivers right out in the open and nobody notices them. They're part of a PA system for one of our hangars and are about 25-30 feet off the floor. I first started looking at them a few months back; six big motors attached to some big friggin' radial horns.

They're too far away to examine closely, but for the last couple of days, I've veiwed them from different angles. The compression drivers have the same black crinkle finish as my LE-85's, the same rounded edges. I looked at the terminals and they were the same red/black buttons. I walked off to the right side and hugged the wall trying to look at the back of the drivers. You can see the silver pole piece in the center of the back of each driver. Also, the drivers are a four bolt pattern. There's also a silver metallic ring running around the mid-section of each driver, as if the motor was split in two around the middle.

Hmmm, very JBL-like I thought, but I couldn't see any labels on the back. I then moved to the left side, trying to find a clue, looking first at the drivers and then I looked really closely at the horns. There! I saw it. A tiny metal tag on the base of the horn. Black with silver area's for the model stamp and I could barely discern the famous JBL triangular 'exclamation !' logo. Yep, them big puppies are pure JBL all six of them and with the four bolt pattern, that makes them either the 2440 or the 2480 Professional Series Compression Drivers. Now I have the Ti-Dome lust thing going and I'm trying to figure out how to get them to the 'scrap heap' for an employee sale. They are disconnected and no longer used...:p

Alex Lancaster
10-28-2005, 01:27 PM
:) Pics would be good, if they are black, 4 bolt, they should be 375/6īs, if they are gray they could be 2440/1, 2480/2, if You can get them real cheap, get them, otherwise forget it.

Regis
10-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I wish I could get pics but our 'business' doesn't allow even cell phone camera's on the plant, much less regular camera's.

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
You could always volunteer to remove the clutter from the ceiling and dispose of it at no cost to the company. You know, as a selfless act.

clmrt
10-28-2005, 01:42 PM
You know damn right there's another cat in the place eyeballin' them, too - :coolness:

You will get no sleep until they are in your back pocket.

subwoof
10-28-2005, 03:48 PM
JBL sold a black wrinkle 2" magnet OEM driver to Dukane and it was widely used in PA clusters. It is a 2480 ( not 2482 ) with a **copper** voice coil phenolic diaphram.

It is identical ( except for the tag ) to the 375HP

There are no other diaphrams in JBL's inventory that will fit except for the newer phenolic 2485 ( aluminum voice coil ) or the 2490 titanium ( which is designed for the 3" ferrite structure but has a different coil depth).

but if they are aluminum 375's, do your civic duty and free them from captivity and endless announcement duty...:)

ps the "pole piece" in the back center is the ID tag....

:cheers:

sub