PDA

View Full Version : JBL vs. JBL

Rusnzha
10-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
But perhaps the point is a JBL user is so satisfied as a rule he ...she does not have to bother listening to other brands in dealers stores and it becomes a life long brand loyatly thing. That's the conviction worthy of the slogan.

Reading the JBL vs other brands of speakers thread is fascinating, but my real curiosity is comparing different JBLs. Even though I'm in the low end of the Lansing Heritage food chain with my L100s and Studio Series surround set up with 2241H sub, I am very happy with my JBLs. Of course, if I could come up with the cash, I would like to follow in the footsteps of some of you who have gone before. The questions that bounce around in my head are:

1) L100 vs 4425
2) Studio series vs performance series
3) 4435 vs 4343

There's plenty more that I can't help wondering about, but I hope this will get it going. There are so many great choices and little chance I will ever get to hear most of them, so it would be cool to hear your opinions. Thanks to all in advance.

Don Mascali
10-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately for my bank account and my sanity, I'm trying to buy one of each:D

Zilch
10-27-2005, 06:47 PM
The questions that bounce around in my head are:

1) L100 vs 4425
3) 4435 vs 43431) HUH?
2) Performance, probably
3) Different animals. 4435 if you like constant directivity....

pelly3s
10-27-2005, 07:28 PM
anything 2 way with a horn over pretty much anything else :D

Mr. Widget
10-27-2005, 11:17 PM
anything 2 way with a horn over pretty much anything else :D How much did Zilch pay you to post that?:applaud:

Sorry, I'd post a meaningful post, but I haven't heard most of those speakers.

Widget

rgrjit8
10-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Not sure that 4435 vs. 4343 would be a good match-up due to the double woofers of the 4435.

But I'd like to see the results of a 4435 vs. 4350 vs. 4355. I'd submit a contender but I think I need a crossover overhaul first.:blah:

Ducatista47
10-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Probably my newbie ignorance, but...

Seems to me the best classic monitor would probably be the 4345. It addressed the
high spl concerns of the 4350, and it is the ultimate incarnation, I think, of Mr. Timbers' four way "experiments."
Of course, I admit I like my monitors dynamic and "accurate yet warm."
I also admit I love big woofer/low SPL listening.

So my question is, how does the 4345 compare to any other JBL top dog contender?

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Okay, as interesting as the current speculative threads are on JBL vs. JBL and JBL vs. the world, the real soul of the Lansing Heritage is the sound produced by the various designs, components, and configurations.

From the ancient coffins with several choices of driver and crossover combinations to the two way horn units of various sizes to the four way systems to the three and four way monitors to the modular units to the multiple driver odd-shaped sets, from pre-sub to sub extra to sub required designs, we have a lot of JBL innovation, experimentation, and implementation, including DIY.

Now, I've visited a few of the forum members and heard their individual JBLs (and Westlakes and Fosgates using JBL drivers) and Altecs, but NEVER have been able to hear a bunch of them all at once. Well, except at my house, but that's old news to me. :D

Seriously, we need to stop talking and do some listening.

I'd like to get some help to plan and hold a Lansing Heritage Weekend where we assemble so much LH gear in one place that forum members have to come. If we do it in SoCal, it's easy for folks to drive or fly here, and maybe we can get Harman/JBL to give us a peek inside the temple.

Really, all we need is a place and a date. I'm thinking Jan/Feb when some of our northern members might want a few days out of winter and flights are relatively cheap. Anywhere within 50–75 miles of LA will be within my driving range to load up some Performance Series, SVA1800s, L7s, L5s, L250s, 4430s, and a B380 to contribute to the event, plus cables, amps, sources for them.

Yes, this is nuts, but what else are ya gonna do in the middle of winter? I won't be surprised if no one replies positively, but all we need are a couple more guys with more gear than sense who'll load it up and let total strangers listen to it for a day and a lo-o-ong night. The Bay Area guys could rent a small U-Haul and bring some stuff down, including project beds. Folks from Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New mexico, and Northern Mexico could make the trek.

Heck I drove my L7s and L100s to CA from MI in 32 hours with no damage and Leif took his 4430s on the plane for Pete's sake: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6411

So no one's got a good excuse.

Anyone want to do this? Anyone want to help me plan it?

Regis
10-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Yah! I want to do it! Maybe have scheduled demo's for each system, utilizing a variety of music (kind of like what you did with Ken's Westies). I've given it thought and an auditorium would be an ideal place. We have a large open performance center here in Palmdale that's made for just that kind of venue. But I'm open to go anywhere in SoCal. How much could it cost?:p

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 09:46 AM
SoCal has a lot of airports, including LAX and Orange County/John wayne which receive hundreds of international flights per day. Anyone who'd make the trek from another continent can count on extra hospitality and a warm welcome if this comes together.

Don't automatically count yourself out. Don't worry about language or customs. If you can say "Hi," "Goodbye," and "Thanks" and can obey our smoking laws (smoke outside), everything will be fine.

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 09:49 AM
I meant to start a new thread instead of highjacking yours. My apologies.

Lancer
10-28-2005, 10:13 AM
So my question is, how does the 4345 compare to any other JBL top dog contender?I've always considered the 4345 to be the best of the large format 43xx monitors.

Anyone ever hear "Rocky Mountain Way" on four 4345's in surround sound?

I have... ;)

I also love the 4430 and 4435.

Lancer
10-28-2005, 10:14 AM
How much did Zilch pay you to post that?:applaud::rotfl:

Zilch
10-28-2005, 12:26 PM
:p

JBLnsince1959
10-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Really, all we need is a place and a date. I'm thinking Jan/Feb when some of our northern members might want a few days out of winter and flights are relatively cheap.

NO...NO.. :banghead: !!!!! got to be either LAST WEEK of FEB or MARCH.....Jan. and first 20 days of Feb is impossible for me ( my very busiest time)

puleeeease... reconsider :D

Say, if we could get a look at the "temple" maybe we could get a "guest speaker" ( excuse the pun) to talk to us.

toddalin
10-28-2005, 01:22 PM

I'd like to get some help to plan and hold a Lansing Heritage Weekend where we assemble so much LH gear in one place that forum members have to come. If we do it in SoCal, it's easy for folks to drive or fly here, and maybe we can get Harman/JBL to give us a peek inside the temple.

Count on me being there. I can even bring a pair of L112s, and if someone has a truck, could bring my "L200 bastards." (2205 reconed as 2235/LE175-HL91/075/N1200/N8000). Alternatively, I have a big house and we could do it here (if I get WAF). I'm in the hills over Tustin/Santa Ana.

Regis
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Alternatively, I have a big house and we could do it here (if I get WAF). I'm in the hills over Tustin/Santa Ana.

Gawd, you'd need a small warehouse just to hold Ti-Dome's stash of big speaks! He'd probably end up renting a Peterbilt tractor-trailer combo just to get his stuff over there :D .

Lessee, if my bud wants to go with the 250 Ti's and me with the L-300's, bastard L-150's and the L-110's, then counting your 200's, L-112's. Add up some other members and you'd need a whole bunches of space (unless it's outside and then we can count on the Tustin PD participating...:p )

toddalin
10-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Gawd, you'd need a small warehouse just to hold Ti-Dome's stash of big speaks! He'd probably end up renting a Peterbilt tractor-trailer combo just to get his stuff over there :D .

You'd need a whole bunches of space (unless it's outside and then we can count on the Tustin PD participating...:p )

I have 1/2 acre in the County so Tustin PD is not a factor. ;)

Regis
10-28-2005, 01:47 PM
A half acre is a lot of land in the Big Orange! But we're talking JBL here!:D You'd easily hear a pair of any of the big beasts we're talking about up to a block away! Heck, I can hear mine out on the street when they're playing in the house! If you've got the cool neighbors, who'll tolerate us, mo' power to US!:bouncy:

Regis
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
But then again, maybe maximum volume isn't necessary. Forgive me for getting carried away.:p

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 01:59 PM
But then again, maybe maximum volume isn't necessary. Forgive me for getting carried away.:p

At some point they'll all need to be hooked up in a wall of sound to see if we can collapse the power grid. :D

Regis
10-28-2005, 02:02 PM
:spin: :spin: :spin: LOL! We could brown out the whole OC and if we point the speakers upward, possibly induce turbulence to air traffic coming into John Wayne Int'l!

takenodisk
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
YES, i 'll be glad to hear about 4350/4355 or 4345/4350:duel:
Not sure that 4435 vs. 4343 would be a good match-up due to the double woofers of the 4435.

But I'd like to see the results of a 4435 vs. 4350 vs. 4355. I'd submit a contender but I think I need a crossover overhaul first.:blah:

Rusnzha
10-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget

How much did Zilch pay you to post that?

He didn't, I always thought about stuff like this.

Originally posted by Titanium Dome

I meant to start a new thread instead of highjacking yours. My apologies.

It's a damn good idea, I get some time off around the third week or so in March. Maybe, this is the best answer to my question. If it happens, I hope I can find a way to make it. Just in case I don't, keep those thoughts and opinions coming.

Originally posted by Ducatista47

So my question is, how does the 4345 compare to any other JBL top dog contender?

I love this question!

Ian Mackenzie
10-28-2005, 02:17 PM
I've always considered the 4345 to be the best of the large format 43xx monitors.

I have... ;)

I also love the 4430 and 4435.

Hmm......glad to sponsor you Sir Lancer.:applaud:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie

"But perhaps the point is a JBL user is so satisfied as a rule he ...she does not have to bother listening to other brands in dealers stores and it becomes a life long brand loyatly thing. That's the conviction worthy of the slogan."

I think I will have to take out publishing rights over this before JBL plagiarises it. Copyright

JBLnsince1959
10-28-2005, 02:34 PM

I am the proud owner of both systems and I'm only about 3 hours away.....

Why don't you find out for yourself? :D

morbo!
10-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Post a new thread on the concert thingy
I would luv to come over but have responsibilitys here i can not leave (atm)anywayz
Atleast i could go on a holiday and not miss my setup then.
Start a new thread on this topic and keep is all posted please
great idea
morbo!

Titanium Dome
10-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Post a new thread on the concert thingy
I would luv to come over but have responsibilitys here i can not leave (atm)anywayz
Atleast i could go on a holiday and not miss my setup then.
Start a new thread on this topic and keep is all posted please
great idea
morbo!

is my command. But just this once. :p

New thread started.

Rusnzha
10-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959

I am the proud owner of both systems and I'm only about 3 hours away.....

Why don't you find out for yourself?

OK, bring some of your favorites, I'll bring a few of mine!

rgrjit8
10-28-2005, 10:40 PM

I'd like to get some help to plan and hold a Lansing Heritage Weekend where we assemble so much LH gear in one place that forum members have to come.

Anyone want to do this? Anyone want to help me plan it?

This is sounding like a seriously wonderful scheme. I need to get out to SoCal to visit relatives and friends before they are no more anyway.:(
I'll start saving up my sick days at work instead of pissing them away.

BUT....does anyone else have a pair of 4355s who lives closer? My wife is already screeching because she's seen that it takes 4 guys to move them safely. And I truly do have a crossover issue to work out. I'd sure hate to choke in front of my esteemed colleagues.:slink:

Ducatista, if you have a pair of 4345s maybe we could meet in Lacon at high noon and let the bikers decide the winner.:dj-party:

We ought to get together sometime anyway. We could meet some Saturday at Electronics Diversified and talk with the Dons.

pelly3s
10-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Zilch paid me nothing for the 2 way comment. I just feel if it cant be done with 2 drivers then something is wrong :applaud:

Lancer
10-29-2005, 03:44 AM
Yeah, yeah.
We all know about the LE8T-H paired up with the 077. :p

Ducatista47
10-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Ducatista, if you have a pair of 4345s maybe we could meet in Lacon at high noon and let the bikers decide the winner.

We ought to get together sometime anyway. We could meet some Saturday at Electronics Diversified and talk with the Dons.

Wow, Coal City is close by non-SoCal Lansing Heritage standards. Hello, Neighbor! I am afraid I presently have only 4333's and Control 10's. No 4345's yet, but I'm trying...(only 4333's...are we spoiled or what? I love my 4333's!)

Saturday at Electronics Diversified can involve some Magadanskaya and Lion Stout sometimes, but it is optional.:D No JBL's on the floor, they sell in fifteen minutes (We Midwestern Hicks have taste, after all. I've never seen a nice pair of floorstanding speakers last half a day there). Just a lot of smaller speakers and all the new tube amps that will fit in the little place. Plenty of vinyl, though.

Wait, one of the Dons has a Metregon:hmm:

As for Lacon, how does Sweet Home Alabama sound on monitors? All Harley, all the time.

Rolf
10-29-2005, 04:57 AM

Really, all we need is a place and a date. I'm thinking Jan/Feb when some of our northern members might want a few days out of winter and flights are relatively cheap. Anywhere within 50–75 miles of LA will be within my driving range to load up some Performance Series, SVA1800s, L7s, L5s, L250s, 4430s, and a B380 to contribute to the event, plus cables, amps, sources for them.

Yes, this is nuts, but what else are ya gonna do in the middle of winter? I won't be surprised if no one replies positively, but all we need are a couple more guys with more gear than sense who'll load it up and let total strangers listen to it for a day and a lo-o-ong night. The Bay Area guys could rent a small U-Haul and bring some stuff down, including project beds. Folks from Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New mexico, and Northern Mexico could make the trek.

Do you exclude members from other country's??????http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon8.gif

Heck I drove my L7s and L100s to CA from MI in 32 hours with no damage and Leif took his 4430s on the plane for Pete's sake: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6411

Yeah, and I went from Skien Norway to Wurtzburg in Germany to pick up my 4343B's. 2500km + boat from Norway to Denmark - Denmark to Norway.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Get this organized, and I probably take a plane to this show. But I do not bring the 4343B's...http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Rolf

Ducatista47
10-29-2005, 05:10 AM
I've always considered the 4345 to be the best of the large format 43xx monitors.

I have... ;)

I am impressed. Can you draw? Since you've seen God, I've always been curious what He looks like!

Lancer
10-29-2005, 06:22 AM
Having listened to every single 43xx and 44xx monitor from the 70's and 80's I'd have to personally choose the 4430 and 4435 as the best all round designs, primarily because I can listen to them longer without suffering fatigue. Of the two designs the 4435 is probably better suited for home use providing one has the requisite real estate. It's LF response is superlative. The 4430 was tuned too aggressively for home use but it certainly isn't a problem to tune it back down by 4 or 5 Hz. The weakest link in both systems is obviously the little 1" throat compression driver operating down to 1 kHz, but for home listening that shouldn't be a problem. I have driven both to their limits in the home and it invariably hurts me before it hurts them, providing the room isn't too terribly large.

I'm sure everyone would agree that the 4333, 4343, 4344, 4345, 4350, and 4355 have the WOW! factor down pat. It is my personal opinion that Greg's work on tweeking the 4344/4345 and 4355 filters moved them to the pinnacle of 43xx development. Do not confuse the 4344 MK II and newer "43xx" designs with their Pro cousins from the 70's and 80's.

Of course I would naturally choose a 250Ti over any of them if I had to choose only one pair of loudspeakers from that era. The 250Ti was designed and built for home use and it pretty much spanks them all in that capacity. For many people it isn't just about LOUD or just about WOW. If one decides on a JBL monitor instead I can't really argue, they are quite fun and I do understand the interest in them.

Ducatista47
10-29-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm sure everyone would agree that the 4333, 4343, 4344, 4345, 4350, and 4355 have the WOW! factor down pat. It is my personal opinion that Greg's work on tweeking the 4344/4345 and 4355 filters moved them to the pinnacle of 43xx development

Of course I would naturally choose a 250Ti over any of them if I had to choose only one pair of loudspeakers from that era. The 250Ti was designed and built for home use and it pretty much spanks them all in that capacity. For many people it isn't just about LOUD or just about WOW. If one decides on a JBL monitor instead I can't really argue, they are quite fun and I do understand the interest in them.

Oh dear. I don't play my music at high spl. Do I need a twelve step program to wean myself off monitors?
I wish my 4333's had more low bass and a little more accuracy. I prefer a very deep, wide soundstage (which the 4333's have). I also admit to liking the 2420 sound way more than "metalized" cone drivers for those frequencies. I assumed 4345's would provide the needed fixes. Am I really looking for the 250 Ti, or should I hunt down the LSR32 and a sub? Or was I really born and raised a 4345 guy?
Help!

Clark, Adrift in Peoria

Rusnzha
10-29-2005, 10:18 AM
XPL200 vs 250TI?

Lancer
10-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Am I really looking for the 250 Ti, or should I hunt down the LSR32 and a sub? Or was I really born and raised a 4345 guy?
Help!

Clark, Adrift in PeoriaStep into the future and start saving for the Array Series.

Lancer
10-29-2005, 10:55 AM
XPL200 vs 250TI?XPL250

Titanium Dome
10-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Do you exclude members from other country's??????http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon8.gif

Yeah, and I went from Skien Norway to Wurtzburg in Germany to pick up my 4343B's. 2500km + boat from Norway to Denmark - Denmark to Norway.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Get this organized, and I probably take a plane to this show. But I do not bring the 4343B's...http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Rolf

Here in this thread and in the reassigned thread for this Lansing Heritage Weekend I posted this:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74869&postcount=3

You were always invited :bouncy: and promised special treatment. :D

Titanium Dome
10-29-2005, 11:04 AM
XPL250

Recent sightings in this linked thread, anyway.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4735&highlight=xpl250

rgrjit8
10-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Wait, one of the Dons has a Metregon:hmm:

Yeah, I think he "inherited" it from Dick.
It knocked me out when I found out what he REALLY HAD in his coffee cup most days.

JBLnsince1959
10-29-2005, 01:44 PM
XPL250

I'm still wondering about the "preformance series" 250TI

Rudy Kleimann
10-29-2005, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget]How much did Zilch pay you to post that?:applaud:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lancer
10-30-2005, 04:31 AM
I'm still wondering about the "preformance series" 250TI?

jblnut
10-30-2005, 07:23 AM
If the So-Cal listening party gets off the ground I'd like to attend. I can get out to the Bay Area on the company dime which gets me most of the way there.

Can we start a separate thread to track the activity if it's going to happen ? This is a great opportunity to meet some forum members and hear some truly excellent loudpseakers !

:applaud:

jblnut

Titanium Dome
10-30-2005, 12:29 PM
If the So-Cal listening party gets off the ground I'd like to attend. I can get out to the Bay Area on the company dime which gets me most of the way there.

Can we start a separate thread to track the activity if it's going to happen ? This is a great opportunity to meet some forum members and hear some truly excellent loudpseakers !

:applaud:

jblnut

Look here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7761&page=1&pp=15