PDA

View Full Version : Resurrounding - Clarification

soundmotor
10-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Resurrounding: Step by Step (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469)

I just scraped down the cones on my 116H's and even though the foam is gone off the back, there is still a residual stickiness. When do you stop scraping & call it a day? My main concern is, will this affect the adhesion of the glue?

jims
10-25-2005, 07:10 PM
If you've gotten off all the loose material, i.e., the "pills" that form when scraping or rubbing off the old foam, you are good. You won't get all the sticky substance off without getting into the cone.
I prefer to use two applications of the white glue supplied with the refoam kits. The first absorbs readily and the second remains wet longer, allowing a little more time to position the surround before the glue sets.

soundmotor
10-25-2005, 07:13 PM
If you've gotten off all the loose material, i.e., the "pills" that form when scraping or rubbing off the old foam, you are good. You won't get all the sticky substance off without getting into the cone.
I prefer to use two applications of the white glue supplied with the refoam kits. The first absorbs readily and the second remains wet longer, allowing a little more time to position the surround before the glue sets.

Thank you for the details.

That makes sense.

morbo!
10-26-2005, 04:07 AM
this forum is awsome
i will soon start earning real cash out of speaker repair as no1 in my area does it.
i have four drivers here now at 20$each not including parts but thats for a good friend who will get me lots more work.
do any of you other guys make a living this way?
by the level of knowledge here i would guess so!
thanks so much for all the freely given info here and you all seem to have a pretty good sense of humor too
any good sorces for foams would be appriciated i just buy mine off ebay
i had one dealer here who sold kits untill he found out it was a dali speaker then he wouldn`t sell it to me saying that he knew the speakers well and the whole thing would lightly be suffering corrosion and wanted me to sent it to him for assement ffs it needed a new foam
this place is better than a tech course and know one can take advantage of me anymore with speakers (quite the oppisite infact)MUHHAHAHAHAHA
LOL
MORBO!

boputnam
10-26-2005, 12:47 PM
I just scraped down the cones on my 116H's and even though the foam is gone off the back, there is still a residual stickiness. When do you stop scraping & call it a day? My main concern is, will this affect the adhesion of the glue?You can give the cone edge a couple of careful wipes with a rag soaked in MEK. That should dissolve the residual glue.

Keep the shop ventilated, and no smoking... :flamed: