PDA

View Full Version : Turntable vibration

FredEmmerich
10-24-2005, 09:21 PM
I had my stereo setup on a sidewall and I was getting vibration into the tonearm/cartridge at medium volume levels., So i moved stereo to wall behind speakers and I still have the same trouble. Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

thanks
Fred

grumpy
10-24-2005, 09:50 PM
infrasonic filter/use your dust cover/... ???

scott fitlin
10-24-2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.isonoe.com/

These are said to be good.

Rolf
10-25-2005, 12:27 AM
I had my stereo setup on a sidewall and I was getting vibration into the tonearm/cartridge at medium volume levels., So i moved stereo to wall behind speakers and I still have the same trouble. Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

thanks
Fred

A CD player? :spin:

Rolf

gerard
10-25-2005, 05:11 AM
Hello

Depends which type of turntable you have ?
Suspended or not !
Tracking force ?
Antiskating ok ? ?
heavy base ?

Do you have a picture ?

regards

Gerard

louped garouv
10-25-2005, 11:48 AM
did you try the ashtrays....

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5773&highlight=turntable+isolation

FredEmmerich
10-25-2005, 07:58 PM
did you try the ashtrays....

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5773&highlight=turntable+isolation

Not yet, my turntable does not have feet that would stick down into the rubber bands so I need to come up with a fix to make this work.

thanks
Fred

morbo!
10-25-2005, 08:21 PM
record it to your pc with out any volume and then pack your turntable away carefully for a rainy day u can always make a few bucks with a pc a good turntable and cool edit

morbo!

scott fitlin
10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Not yet, my turntable does not have feet that would stick down into the rubber bands so I need to come up with a fix to make this work.

thanks
FredThere is a way to get terrific vibration isolation! You can have a floor standing cabinet made, with a cutout at the top for your turntable, and also a base with eyehooks for the turntable to sit on. The wood base with eyehooks is suspended by rubber bands that atttach to eyehooks inside the console/cabinet!

This is called a floating suspension, and IT REALLY WORKS! This idea comes from the consoles of nightclubs.

You can have as elaborate a console made for you as you want, or you can DIY. Im thinking a nice furniture style cabinet, made of nice wood, and finished nicely!

Not only does this cure rumble and vibration, but even if you werent getting rumble, the sound of a floating turntable is better than one on concrete, or whatever!

I have a console for three turntables in my bumper car ride, and have NO rumble, and believe it or not, even withstands the vibration caused by 36 bumper cars riding around, weighing 550lbs each!

Youll have to change rubber bands two or 3 times a year, but this really works!

louped garouv
10-25-2005, 10:09 PM
I have heard that this is kind of isolation is a 'pain' to implement...

but the theory behind the idea does not seem to be to extremly difficult. Any pointers?

good idea Scott.... :D

edgewound
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM

thanks
Fred

Set your turntable on top of a piece of 2-3" thick foam rubber the same size or a little larger than the base. It will isolate it well, is cheap, is easy, and you can cover it with whatever fabric you chose...if you like.

Alan Fletcher
10-26-2005, 04:04 PM
My turntables are set on a 2' x 3' slab of granite. It is 2 inches thick. Works like a charm.

-A

Steve Schell
10-27-2005, 01:08 AM
I made an MDF turntable base in the mid '80s that hung from the ceiling by four strands of 15lb. test fishing line. Screw eyes and wing nuts at the corners allowed precise leveling. Isolation was phenomenal- screaming and stomping of feet had no noticeable effect on the turntable at all.

The intelligent audiophile would have placed something under the base to catch the 'table if the fishing line broke, but not me, nosirree. I heard the crash one morning while I was in the bathtub.

louped garouv
10-27-2005, 03:18 AM
I bet that left a mark! don't know though if it was on the floor or head :banghead:

:D :rotfl:

that must have sucked.

good story though, what isolates your TT now?

Mike Caldwell
10-27-2005, 05:11 AM
Hello

In addition to the physical isolation ideas mentioned here make sure you use some form of high pass filtering or as Grumpy said infrasonic filtering. Some recievers/pre amps have them built in and can be selected with push of a button or you may need an external unit. What these units do is electronicly filter out the low frequency noise that come from the turntable itself and from the surface of the record as well as helping with external acoustic feedback. Most filters are from 30hz and lower.

Mike Caldwell

morbo!
10-27-2005, 05:48 AM
Take edgewounds advice.
I do!

p.s edgy like the k

Steve Schell
10-27-2005, 11:54 AM
The turntable that took the spill was an AR fitted with a Decca unipivot arm. It was basically okay, just dinged up.

Now many years later, no progress to report. Still using an old AR-XA, but with stock arm. It sits directly on my equipment shelf, and the stylus gets the shakes when I walk across the room.

My dream is to own one of the better Teres tables with the high mass wooden platter. Chris Brady lent us his best unit when my partner and I demoed our speakers at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last year. It was an incredible signal source, the best I have used by far. Chris's products can be checked out at
http://www.teresaudio.com/

morbo!
10-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Wow as much of a work as it is a turntable.
I especially liked the 340.
I never seen a wooden platter before
Why are all these new high end turntables belt drive?
Anybody know

morbo!

FredEmmerich
10-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Hello
Depends which type of turntable you have ?
Suspended or not !
Tracking force ?
Antiskating ok ? ?
heavy base ?

Do you have a picture ?

No pics yet (digital camera is on my to-do list)
Its an old Pioneer turntable with a Audio Technica cartridge. I think I run 1.25g on tracking and anti-skate. When I crank up the volume that bugger starts hoppin pretty good.

morbo!
10-27-2005, 09:09 PM
crank it to 1.4 see if that makes a diff

edgewound
10-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Why are all these new high end turntables belt drive?
Anybody know

morbo!

The belt drive helps to isolate vibration from the drive motor. Just like the cheap solution to put the turntable on a slab of foam rubber. Rock on Morbo...I like your honesty.

morbo!
10-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Wouldn`t a better way be the direct drive system that technics used.
That just floats and is run by magnets ,So in reality the platter is part of the motor.
Or are their some patent issues?
just thinking because people pay alot of money for these fancy turntables

edgewound
10-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Wouldn`t a better way be the direct drive system that technics used.
That just floats and is run by magnets ,So in reality the platter is part of the motor.
Or are their some patent issues?
just thinking because people pay alot of money for these fancy turntables

That's the beauty of the latest generation of digital audio. Dont need a $10K turnatable and tonearm/ cartridge combo for pristine sound.....more audio voodoo.

Steve Schell
10-27-2005, 10:08 PM
The table we used at RMAF was his first edition of the model 360, then considered a prototype.

The general reasoning behind the current generation of high mass platter belt drive designs is to achieve rock solid speed stability and isolation from motor vibration and speed variations. The inertia of the heavy platter resists any change in speed, and tiny instantaneous changes in motor speed are additionally filtered by the drive belt. A system like this looks like gross overkill at first glance, but there are large gains in sound to be had from this approach. Although we were afraid of lunching the $5k Koetsu cartridge when we used this 'table, we were constantly thrilled by its performance.

morbo!
10-27-2005, 10:10 PM
understood!
thanks no out of me on the subject!

morbo!
10-28-2005, 05:49 AM
Your post on the counter weight got me thinking.
You balance the tone arm then 0 in the dial.
then adjust to 2.5 grams
This should be the correct setup for most turn tables of our era
p.s A little tip for cleaning your records
i dont know if you yanks have a company called protector
they make saftey equiptment
but their (mighty wipe) lens wips are the best thing iv`e ever used!
p..s been along time since i had to do that :D
refresher course
p.p.s id like to try this with a good digital scale but id have to go to a mates place and use his

morbo!
10-28-2005, 04:04 PM
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bulletspikes_e.html
i luv this site (read it well) the cables are cool:D

FredEmmerich
10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bulletspikes_e.html
i luv this site (read it well) the cables are cool:D

I have seen this site, I definitely want to give those a whirl. They have a lot of good, CHEAP solutions.