PDA

View Full Version : Did I do OK on ePay ?

ironman
10-23-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm figuring this will be my winter project here in the great, cold, NorthEast - woke up to 3" inches of snow already this morning ! Seriously - these are a tad on the rough side. Price wise - be brutal - any comments ? I'm feeling a little shakey right now (2:45 am to get these).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5820223328&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

:o: or :eek: ?

Have to go read up on cab refinishing...

johnaec
10-23-2005, 11:52 PM
That's a real good deal! It does look like the foam on the LF speakers has been replaced, which is good, though it also looks like it was glued to the front of the speakers, instead of the normal back side. 'Probably doesn't make much difference sonically...

John

morbo!
10-24-2005, 12:15 AM
hell yeah
if you were an aussie you`d have to look for months maybe longer and then enter a bidding war
its all relitive i surpose but they prolly would have went for a bigger $$$$$$ over here
morbo!

ironman
10-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Johnaec:

Ah, I didn't notice the re-foam. I can't tell from the pic. What is the "give away" in the pic ? So much to learn...

I came across this sale as my head was bobbing off the keyboard (2:30 am I think) and tried to take everything into consideration - was feeling a bit squeemish when I saw I had won - normally I always loose. Hit the sack right after posting here and was pleasantly surprised to wake up and see 2 positisve replys. Champagne taste here on a beer budget !I missed a pair of really nice 110's the other night for the same price (they were my first JBL's in the 70's - lost in divorce ah !) Until today I had only L-40's.
Retained my Sansui 8080 - hope these do it justice !
Thanks to all that replied - I need a little confidence boost.
I know I've read about "Don Ramon" here somewhere but couldn't remember if it was good or bad and no time to search before bidding. I liked the low shipping fee ($65.00) - I'm praying that his people do a good job packing ! Nothing worse than getting a bargain then having to tack on a couple hundred for S/H.
Well, I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go !
Thanks again.:)

Titanium Dome
10-24-2005, 09:20 AM
I've purchased from Don Ramon and done local pick up at his store. The products (L250s) were in better shape than I expected and the refoam job was correctly done on the LE14H-1 woofers.

I agree with John that it looks like the refoams on the woofers of your soon-to-be L112s are on the fronts, but I can't get a good, close look to be sure.

Titanium Dome
10-24-2005, 09:25 AM
I blew the photo up in PhotoShop and it looks like the foam edge is on the front of the cone.

As John wrote, it's not a disaster.

grumpy
10-24-2005, 04:15 PM
LE5 domes pushed in? not too terrible to fix... the parts are available (or were last time
I needed some). If you bought 'em to listen to, don't worry about the foam being glued
to the front... they'll be fine. OCS did 'em that way for quite awhile (don't know if that's
still true) and they have a good rep (if not the best prices). Lots of info here on cabinet
refinishing as well... someone's L-96 story popped up again recently, for example.

Lots 'o potential there. Nice save.

-grumpy

chad
10-25-2005, 05:14 AM
I remember when the 112's were the talk of the town, I wanted a pair so bad it hurt. I'd love to find a deal like that and go through the process of restoring them.

Steelyfan
10-25-2005, 04:12 PM
LE5 domes pushed in? not too terrible to fix... the parts are available (or were last time
I needed some). If you bought 'em to listen to, don't worry about the foam being glued
to the front... they'll be fine. OCS did 'em that way for quite awhile (don't know if that's
still true) and they have a good rep (if not the best prices). Lots of info here on cabinet
refinishing as well... someone's L-96 story popped up again recently, for example.

Lots 'o potential there. Nice save.

-grumpy

I am not shure the cones of this LE5 are pushed in ; some (older) versions
like the LE5-2 come standard with a "reversed dome" there is a nice list of all the variations of the LE-5 on this nice forum. le5 Matrix Thread (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5706)

grumpy
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
indeed. the proper LE5 being the -12, the dome should -not- appear to be pushed in
unless it was replaced with another LE5 variation or the dome was, er, pushed in.
I've gone through L96/L112/L150A sets with this driver, including replacing
a few domes (gracias to those who walked me through it here) altered by curious fingers...
all outties, in navel terms :D

-grumpy

duaneage
10-25-2005, 08:24 PM
These use the same drivers as the 4411, although a different crossover network due to driver spacing. The LE 5-9 can be replaced with a 2105 pro driver, they are identical in sound and specs. I used 2105 drivers in my 4411 clones.

They were expensive speakers in their day and 177 is a good price. They have gone for far more in similar condition.

I would replace the binding posts on the rear, those plastic turn jobs might give you trouble.

Clean out the controls for the mid and tweets with some contact cleaner as well to prevent problems, they look kinda dusty and there could be dirt in the pots.

Welcome to the asylum.

grumpy
10-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Are you -sure- the L112 uses the same drivers as the 4411? The thread pointed to
a few replies back gets into the difference between the odd and even suffix
LE 5 variations including sensitivities and suggests that an LE 5-9 (4411) does not
equal an LE 5-12 (L112). Whether you'd notice after adjusting the L-pad is more than
I know.

The rest is all good. Sorry to be a stinker.

jim3860
10-26-2005, 12:06 AM
yes i think you did great i bought a pair in far worse shape than yours i paid 65 bucks for them had to replace both foam surrounds on woofers 150 bucks to have that done cabinents are beat to heck but i dont care they are very nice speakers anyways sure it would be nice to have a pair in mint condition but i think that the price i paid is worth having beat up cabinents i bought them to listen to not look at lol, good score i think you will really like these:applaud: