PDA

View Full Version : 802-8G problems....

louped garouv
10-21-2005, 05:47 PM
OK so one of my 802-8Gs is not working anymore... just stopped during *moderately* high level playback this afternoon... :banghead:

opened it up and the leads to the diaphram are broken.

Is the fix as easy as repairing/soldering the leads so that there is a connection again? Diaphrams do not appear to be breached (no obvious signs of light shinning through)

Thanks a bunch....

***first blown compression driver for me.....**** :biting:

scott fitlin
10-21-2005, 05:59 PM
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Altec-Diaphragms

Might as well get a new diaphragm! They advertise original Altec diaphragms in both 8 and 16 ohms!

Price isnt too bad!

scott fitlin
10-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Are you saying the wires from the drivers input terminals to the diaphragm are what broke?

That you can fix!

DavidF
10-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Are you saying the wires from the drivers input terminals to the diaphragm are what broke?

That you can fix!

I tried. The connections from the terminals to the coils bend 90 degrees. I thought I might be able to fix/re solder but the leads are very fine and the insulating material- phenolic or something- was in the way. Eventually I moved on and had the diaphragms replaced. Besides, I sensed that the other leads would soon break and I was not prepared to mess with all of them.

David F

scott fitlin
10-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Oh, the very fine copper strand into the diaphragms VC! That you cant fix!

louped garouv
10-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Oh, the very fine copper strand into the diaphragms VC! That you cant fix!

will I need to replace the copper strands or solder them so they again have a connection?

Thanks again...

In the meantime, I am listening to 802Ds

I think I like the Gs better...

Probably will pick up some diaphrams for future use... seems like a prudent move...

thanks for the link (and advise)

louped garouv
10-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I tried. The connections from the terminals to the coils bend 90 degrees. I thought I might be able to fix/re solder but the leads are very fine and the insulating material- phenolic or something- was in the way. Eventually I moved on and had the diaphragms replaced. Besides, I sensed that the other leads would soon break and I was not prepared to mess with all of them.

David F

Is the 90 degree bend at the connection stock? I thought I had read that the 90 degree bend was indicitive of over powering.... IE the bend comes just before the break in connection.... but I can't seem to find that post....

again, thanks a bunch...

DavidF
10-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Is the 90 degree bend at the connection stock? I thought I had read that the 90 degree bend was indicitive of over powering.... IE the bend comes just before the break in connection.... but I can't seem to find that post....

again, thanks a bunch...

Can't confirm since I did not keep the old diaphragms. They do have to curve over 90 degrees to move from the terminal to the voice coil, old or new. Is there a difference in the radius of the bend over time that causes more tension and a tendancy to snap? Don't know. Took the extra effort to send the drivers to Great Plains to get them re-magnetized, just in case. A little under $200 for the pair plus shipping out, but a good investment for me.

David F

louped garouv
10-24-2005, 08:15 AM
found a simmilar problem w/ 604s on the altec users board...

here is a link....

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic&t=124&f=3729

long story short -- can be done, effects frequency response and reliability of the units, should be considered a short term fix...

thanks again -- looks like I may try to fix these and also order the new diaphram/new mounting kit (mine are older style screw mounts -- supposedly the newer pop on style eliminates this issue...) from Bill at Great Plains.....