PDA

View Full Version : new L100s

squibcake
10-21-2005, 10:47 AM
After reading so many positive reviews, I bought a set of L100 speakers. They are the first set of hi-fi speakers that I have ever owned myself. Right now they are hooked up to a Carver Magnetic Field integrated amp (I think it's 100 watts per channel) and a Nakamichi CD player. Everything sounds fine, but I've heard these things really come alive with tube power and low wattage. I'm also finding them to be incredibly revealing speakers, especially when it comes to compression or analog tape saturation. Basically, I want to get the most out of them so I was wondering what type of receiver might synergize well with these guys as well as some info about placement, etc. (right now they are sitting about a foot off the ground, 8 feet apart). I'm excited to finally have a pair of JBLs to call my own.

louped garouv
10-21-2005, 11:02 AM
and welcome to the sickness.... ;)

Zilch
10-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Hiya, squibcake, and welcome.

Please click "User CP" above and enable location display in your profile.

The forum likes to know where folks are. :)

[Well, I do, anyway.... :p ]

Crash
10-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I nominate Zilch as the SPAM KING of this website. :applaud:

Crash
10-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Oh my gosh! Zilch has even surpassed RobH3606 and Ian Mackenzie! How is this possible?

Zilch
10-21-2005, 11:42 AM
How is this possible?Dedication.... :p

Titanium Dome
10-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Welcome. :)

Are your L100s originals (all the drivers in a single line from top to bottom) or second generation (the midrange and tweeter orbiting the top of the woofer)?

squibcake
10-21-2005, 05:25 PM
they are 2nd generation. are both referred to as "century" models?

dllyons
10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the madness !! I have two pairs of the L100 second generations or I guess they're referred to as L100A (correct me if I'm wrong) with the mid and tweeters mounted staggered.
It's interesting that mine have different nameplates- one doesn't carry the Century nomenclature- it just says L100. Its nameplate has the orange JBL logo on an otherwise black and white nameplate. If all L100 serial numbers were sequential, these are my newer L100's for they're in the 271792A range.
My older ones in the 182711A SN range have black and white only nameplate, but do carry the L100 Century designation. A friend of mines L100A's are serial numbered in the 63200 range, so I wonder when, serial number-wise, they changed from the L100 to the L100A models.

Another interesting thing I noticed- my newer ones weigh almost 5 pounds apiece more than my older ones. More internal bracing on the newer cabinets ?

I just replaced the foam rings of the tweeters on both pairs yesterday, and replaced the foam grills on my number 2 pair yesterday also, which brings me to the question- how's the grills on yours ? If they're trashed or you just want the original look of the L100's- see sonofagun pronto .... the guy is second to none in making factory look alike grills....he's terrific !:applaud:

Don C
10-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Another interesting thing I noticed- my newer ones weigh almost 5 pounds apiece more than my older ones. More internal bracing on the newer cabinets?
Ferrite magnets vs alnico on the older speakers?

Rusnzha
10-22-2005, 09:35 PM
The later L100s had the 123A-3 woofer. This sure looks like as much like an alnico as the -1. What speaker went into these with a ferrite magnet? I always thought that all L100s had alnico woofers and mid range speakers and that only the LE-25 was ferrite.

dllyons
10-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Do you think magnet composition would make that big of a difference ? Approx. 4.5 to 5 pounds ? It would be interesting to pop the drivers out and see, but I remember long ago that I tried to do just that, just for curiosity's sake, and had difficulty getting some of the screws to 'unscrew' out of the woofers. It was as though the nuts were on some kind of bind to not let them screw out. So I left them well enough alone. I'm going to have to learn a trick if I ever have to get them out .....:( Maybe someone with more expertise on history of the L100's could enlighten me, and save me the chore.

I have an original L100(a?) sales brochure from 1972 (I believe) that does say the woofer and midrange uses alnico V magnets, but doesn't say what type magnet is in the tweeter.

I know the L100's aren't the best 12" 3 way system that JBL made, but I love them nonetheless. Coupled with a 'mystique' about them and some nostalgia reasons, I wouldn't part with them. I see there's a couple of the original L100's on eBay ..as we speak. Tempting, as I don't have any of the original ones ....

zipplok
10-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi Squibcake. If you wish to get the most out of your L100's I reccommed rebuilding the crossovers using audiophile parts. I rebuilt two pairs using new L-pads, Audiocap capacitors and silver plated copper wire. The sonic rewards were well worth the time and money spent. The resulting sound quality is extraordinary!!

Rusnzha
10-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Do you think magnet composition would make that big of a difference ? Approx. 4.5 to 5 pounds ?

The 128H on the L112 would account for that kind of difference, but I don't know where that difference comes from between 2 different sets of L100s.

Don C
10-23-2005, 10:18 AM
They could have ended up having 2213Hs installed at some point in the past, I don't think that you can see the difference from the front. It's the only reason that I could think of for the weight difference.

Mr. Widget
10-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Squibcake. If you wish to get the most out of your L100's I reccommed rebuilding the crossovers using audiophile parts. I rebuilt two pairs using new L-pads, Audiocap capacitors and silver plated copper wire. The sonic rewards were well worth the time and money spent. The resulting sound quality is extraordinary!! I certainly respect and admire your willingness to open these up and have fun with them, but to me modding this speaker is like putting hot rod hoses on a stock Model T.

Widget

squibcake
10-23-2005, 09:13 PM
in response to a post about the grilles earlier, mine are the replacement grilles that JBL sold (still sells?) for these speakers? i've heard that these are the most produced speakers of all time. for that reason, i'm a little suprised that there's not more written about them in the forums here. but i guess real jbl nuts have favorite speakers that aren't L100s.

i could still use some info regarding placement as well as integrated amps that pair well with these guys. also, the upper midrange on mine seem a little raspy, especially with vocals. the drivers all look to be in perfect shape...can't tell if i'm just hearing levels peaking (tape saturation) on the recordings that i've been listening to or if there's something else going on with my pair or my system.

thanks for the responses!

Rolf
10-23-2005, 09:22 PM
i could still use some info regarding placement ....... also, the upper midrange on mine seem a little raspy, especially with vocals. the drivers all look to be in perfect shape...
thanks for the responses!

Hi squibcake.

I would lift them up so the mid/tweeter is about ear height, pointing them in about 15deg.

Regarding the "raspy"... Is it the same on both speakers??

Rolf

Don C
10-23-2005, 09:22 PM
I think that the Carver amp should be just fine. I would suggest to turn down the midrange L-pad to suit your taste, I liked them at only about a third of the way up. This tends to tame the midrange hump that they are well known for. You are correct that this is not really the favorite of most members here, but they have been discussed a lot anyway, just do a search.

Titanium Dome
10-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Many of us got into JBL because of the L100, and it is a venerated product. Some of the snobbier of our members like to rag on them a bit, but the more they protest, the more I'm suspicious of their true feelings. It's a bit like the 10 year old boy who pulls a girl's hair instead of admitting he likes her. :p

A quick search will reveal lots of L100 info, including

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=713&highlight=L100

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6797&highlight=L100

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2794&highlight=L100

You can find many, many more.

squibcake
10-24-2005, 02:27 PM
yes, raspiness is in both speakers in the upper midrange / lower treble registers. it sounds like distortion or when a level peaks a little too high on analog tape. possibly it's something in my receiver? the drivers in my speakers look pretty good.

also, my tweeters are surrounded by diamond-shaped felt. i have heard that this can be removed...what is its purpose?

thanks,
thayer

zipplok
10-24-2005, 05:12 PM
I certainly respect and admire your willingness to open these up and have fun with them, but to me modding this speaker is like putting hot rod hoses on a stock Model T.

Widget Hi Mr. Widget ! I sure appreciate your feelings on "modifying" vintage JBL loudspeakers. They are true family heirlooms that should be passed down, untouched, from generation to generation. I doubt we will ever see this kind of quality again. I would have never considered modifying these if it had not been requested by the L100's owners or if the stock crossovers had been working properly. I did, though, use the best electronic parts available to me. Parts that would surely bring out the best the original design had to offer. zipplok