PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Identify This Speaker

biddy67
10-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Newly minted member, first post. I came across a pair of very heavy (50 lb?)Professional Series speakers at a thrift and I can't recall the model number. The unit had 2- 8" drivers and a dome tweeter made of aluminum (crushed of course, this is a thrift). The front face of the box (not the grille, this was dark brown or black), was an ugly blue, kind of on the light side. The box was wood veneer, very thick 3/4" maybe. I thought maybe it was L413 or L431 or something like that. Any ideas?

Zilch
10-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Go back and GET them!

Once we know the model number, and/or some pics, we'll be able to help better....

Titanium Dome
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Tell us where they are, and we'll check 'em out for you. Yeah, that's the ticket. Trust us on this.

pelly3s
10-13-2005, 03:52 PM
just buy them and dont question it.

also if you could turn on your location so we can see where you are that would be great. we like to know where to locate fellow members

biddy67
10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Tell us where they are, and we'll check 'em out for you. Yeah, that's the ticket. Trust us on this.

Well, they're towards the back, but I don't see how that could matter either way.

biddy67
10-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Well I know my description was rather vague, I am guessing they were quality units, but cosmetically needed some work and at least one of the tweeters was crushed. I owned a pair of JBLs back in the mid '80s and really liked them and would like to add a pair to my current collection. These I say yesterday were 3-way, 2 cu ft or so box, JBL, and very HEAVY, so they must be good, but I'm going to pass on these. The closest ones appear to be the 4313, they had a tag with "Professional Series" on it and two knobs. Anyway, $50 for a pair of speakers would make them the most expensive pair I've ever bought. The tweeter was aluminum and had a number of vent holes. I'm thinking that the face of the cabinet was blue, but maybe it was just the grille, there were lots of vent holes in the dome. There will be others...

Location has been updated.

I currently own: Original Advent (free), Smaller Advent (free), Baby Advent II ($2), Advent /3 ($2), Bozak 301 ($20 came with a Dual 1228, Kenwood KR-6400 attached), EPI 1100 ($20), EPI T/E 100 ($20). Thinking a pair of L100 are needed, some ARs too, but all in good time.

Zilch
10-14-2005, 02:39 PM
O.K., who's in Virginia/Maryland/DC here? :p

JBLnsince1959
10-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Am I understanding you correctly that there's a pair of 4313's a thrift store for $50?

I WANT THEM!!!!!! can we work something out??

Tom Loizeaux
10-14-2005, 03:09 PM
O.K., who's in Virginia/Maryland/DC here? :p

I'm in Baltimore. If I can help by going to look at these...let me know.

Tom
410 466-2223

pelly3s
10-14-2005, 03:59 PM
hmmmmmm I WANT THEM lol

JBLnsince1959
10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
hmmmmmm I WANT THEM lol

:rotfl:

pelly3s
10-14-2005, 04:14 PM
there are never deals like that around here. the only things i ever get on a good deal are a free pair of A5 cabs which I dont have space for but I am making space.

biddy67
10-14-2005, 05:54 PM
a second look at these tomorrow...maybe. Good chance they are no longer there. They were pretty beat up, but I guess the drivers could always be put to good use. You wouldn't want me to have to ship them, they weighed as though filled with lead.

Stuff like this does appear every so often in the thrifts in this area, better luck can be had at yardsales, though where most of the previous speakers were scored. Oh, and I forgot the Klipsch KG-2, got those for $40.

Other nice finds include: SX-780, two of these picked them up for $25 apiece, H/K 730 $15 at the thrift, H/K 310A $25, Carver C-2 and 200mt for $50 apiece, Technics SA-5270 $10, Marantz 2285b for $5 (not working, though). All this stuff in the last year since I started collecting this "junk."

JBLnsince1959
10-14-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm in Baltimore.

For some reason I never realized you were in Maryland. I'm from Frederick, Md. and still have family there. Can I come by and see you the next time I'm in Md?

Tom Loizeaux
10-15-2005, 06:48 AM
... Can I come by and see you the next time I'm in Md?

Sure. I'd be happy to meet any Forum members and show them my stuff.

Tom

biddy67
10-15-2005, 11:01 AM
I am linking a photo. I got them for $25, thought they were $25 apiece, so that was a bonus. They are in rough condition. The woofers look pretty good, the foam of course is gone, where can I get this thin roll foam? Both mids have tears in them, but they look easily repaired. Finally, the domes are crushed, I am at a loss what to do about these. Maybe that ding repair kit where you glue something on, pull out, then dissolve off the glue? I don't know, these are aluminum, right? Might present a problem. The cabs were not as bad as I remember, a little sanding and tung oil, could look pretty good. One grille.

Earl K
10-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Nice Score ! :)

- I imagine you could turn a tidy profit by now offering these up for sale on this site, for something in the mid $200. range . ( No, I'm not interested )
- The le10H woofs alone will fetch 100 to $200 for the pair ( as is ) parted-out on eBay .
- The rest ??? well they need rehabbing to be worth anything on the used market ( IMHO ).

Heh BTW; what happened to those twin 8" woofers ? ( Hallucinogens ? ) :D

;)

Zilch
10-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Please don't play these until they are redone, lest you damage the voice coils, other than a brief, low-volume test to verify that all of the drivers operate, of course.

Once rehabbed, they'll be better than anything else you have on your list. They are quite beautiful, actually, to those who know what they can be. It'll take some effort and investment for that to happen, however.

If you're not up to learing how to restore these properly, or are not interested, just resell them as-is at a profit. The more you mess with them now, the less they'll be worth....

biddy67
10-15-2005, 12:48 PM
to refurbish, I'll post back someday when they are done. I have re-foamed many woofers in the past with good success. These seem tighter and center better than the Advents and EPIs, are the chances good I'll be able to do them without cutting out the cap? I have never had to fix tears in the cone, but it does not appear too difficult, where is a good tutorial on this? And finally, I see the big guys sell the proper replacement foam. I like to go low budget with MATelectronics, Rssound, mainelectronics, but they don't seem to have the thin roll 10". Is there a budget supplier out there?

Earl K
10-15-2005, 04:28 PM
And finally, I see the big guys sell the proper replacement foam. I like to go low budget with MATelectronics, Rssound, mainelectronics, but they don't seem to have the thin roll 10". Is there a budget supplier out there?

- I suggest you buy surrounds from Rick Cobb out of Florida. Then get them installed by a professional, making sure the new foam is glued to the backside of the cone. Here's his email address ; [email protected]

:)

Rudy Kleimann
01-02-2006, 01:00 AM
I believe these are 066 tweeters, as are in my L166's. The diaphragm is actually a cloth dome with phenolic resin, onto which a thin layer of aluminum coating was vapor-deposited (See L166 brochure elsewhere in this website for more information).

You might try some adhesive tape stuck to the dome, but the dome is pretty hard and stiff, and I don't know how strong the bond is between the phenolic dome and the aluminum coating. You might have no luck in raising it, and it might peel the aluminum? :bomb:

If you are careful, you can remove the diaphragm and push the dome back out into shape. It won't be perfect, but it'll be a damn sight better than what they are now. You'll have to pull the driver from the cabinet, remove three screws to release the front cover plate, and carefully de-solder the diaphragm leads in order to remove the diaphragm. Take your time, and be gentle. The diaphragms are NLA. And don't bend the voice coil!

bigstereo
01-02-2006, 06:08 AM
For some reason I never realized you were in Maryland. I'm from Frederick, Md. and still have family there. Can I come by and see you the next time I'm in Md?

I lived near Hagerstown from 84 to 99. Right over the mountain.

RJ

GordonW
01-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I have a large number of correct LE10 (and LE8) surrounds. Been selling them for $12 a pair (plus usually about $2.50 for USPS Parcel Post mailing)...

Regards,
Gordon.

biddy67
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I have a large number of correct LE10 (and LE8) surrounds. Been selling them for $12 a pair (plus usually about $2.50 for USPS Parcel Post mailing)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Sure thing Gordon, I'd love to get ahold of correct foams for LE10s, I have PM'ed and not gotten a response, send payment info and we'll get moving on this.

SEAWOLF97
01-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Regards,
Gordon.

when I had Lancer 77's, the LE10 surrounds were quite hard, thought they sounded OKAY. Were they originally that way or did harden with time ?

JohnK
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
The original white surrounds were as soft as marshmallow when they were new.