PDA

View Full Version : L100 Driver Identification

Gino
10-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Hello, I wonder if someone could tell me of a way to identify the drivers in my L100's without removing them from the cabinets? Possibly by serial number? I've had these since 1977, they still sound fantastic and I really hate to open them up risking damaging them for something so trivial just to satisfy an idle curiosity. The owners manual list the lists the drivers to be alnico driven so I guess that narrows the possibilities a bit. Forgive me if the answer is in some past thread, but I looked to no avail. Thanks in advance, Gino

edgewound
10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Hello, I wonder if someone could tell me of a way to identify the drivers in my L100's without removing them from the cabinets? Possibly by serial number? I've had these since 1977, they still sound fantastic and I really hate to open them up risking damaging them for something so trivial just to satisfy an idle curiosity. The owners manual list the lists the drivers to be alnico driven so I guess that narrows the possibilities a bit. Forgive me if the answer is in some past thread, but I looked to no avail. Thanks in advance, Gino

Hi Gino...

The L100A was last produced in 1977 and probably has a 123A-3 woofer, LE5-2 mid and LE25 tweeter.

GordonW
10-12-2005, 09:54 PM
To further expend, the 123A woofer and LE5-2 midrange were both alnico-magnet units, but the LE25 (or the LE25-2, as some were equipped, apparently) is a ceramic magnet unit. Only the very-earliest L100 model (before the L100A), produced in the very-early '70s, had an alnico tweeter (the round-flange LE20-1)... all L100 models produced after approximately the beginning of 1973 had ceramic-magnet tweeters.

Regards,
Gordon.