PDA

View Full Version : LE-85 Blues

Uncle Paul
10-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Ground loop hum from my active crossover likely killed the dia in one of my LE-85's :biting: . It's one of a pair I bought new in the late 70's. I opened it up to see if the problem was corrosion and get a better reading on the coil. I also wanted to check to see if the foam was rotten. Sure enough the dia is bad and the foam is almost gone.

I used a new screwdriver of the right size and paid careful attention to remove the bolts. Naturally, I stripped two of them and had to use an extractor to get them out.

The only good news is that the original dia has the diamond pattern surround. I think that makes it a D16R2421, so I shouldn't have to replace the good dia in the other driver to keep them the same.

Does anybody know if the replacement foam is available, or do I have to have this done at a authorized service center? Same question for the bolts.

P.S. Yes, I learned my lesson about not protecting my drivers. They will go back into service with spiffy new crossovers that will protect them even in biamplified mode.

"Duke" Spinner
10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
use an impact driver to loosen the bolts / screws