PDA

View Full Version : Is this an original 2235H cone?

Guido
09-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Hello Experts!

Is this an original 2235H cone?

I think no.

1. No massring
2. look at this cheap aluminum foil with folds
3. See this hump. Now I now why it was clattering

Guido
09-10-2003, 10:10 AM
more

Guido
09-10-2003, 10:13 AM
more2

4313B
09-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Guido
Hello Experts!

Is this an original 2235H cone?

I think no.

1. No massring
2. look at this cheap aluminum foil with folds
3. See this hump. Now I now why it was clattering
This is a link to a photo of a brand new genuine JBL C8R2235

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414&highlight=mass+ring

Guido
09-10-2003, 10:19 AM
So what is it?

Crap?

Speakertown
09-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I'm not an expert, but I've never seen JBL use alum.
bobbins in woofers, not even in the aftermarket brand
cones.

4313B
09-10-2003, 10:35 AM
So what is it?

Crap?
Well Guido,

You get a transducer reconed and it comes back to you making objectionable noises. :( A query is posted on the forum and everyone gets to speculate on what's wrong with your transducer. You pull the dust cap and find some Reynolds aluminum foil previously used as a turkey tent during Thanksgiving now being pressed into service as your coil former AND it has dings in it. Is that crap?

I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count ;)

And, where DID that damn mass ring roll off to?

Oh wait, I'm sure the reconer in his infinite wisdom left it out because "it sounds better" without it...

I doubt there ever was a mass ring. Maybe there's 35 grams of aluminum foil wrapped around the coil instead?

In any case - I'm sorry the reconer didn't do right by you... :mad:

boputnam
09-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count ;) Beat me too it! Shucks...

And, where DID that damn mass ring roll off to? I'll bet that reconer has a necklace made of them - assuming he's ever seen one!

Guido - how could he possibly get that voice-coil centered with that BUMP on it! You need to get a refund and find a JBL authorized service! :scold:

4313B
09-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Actually, this whole scenario infuriates me and I have virtually no stake in it at all.

If I took a case of TNT and blew 99/100ths of my brains out I still couldn't be so utterly idiotic as to take someone else's transducer, recone it with some POS I found laying about, and then represent it as a genuine JBL recone job AND be so audacious as to actually take their money!!!

That Bo, is a mini rant.

I don't recall in any of Guido's posts him thinking he was getting anything other than a genuine JBL C8R2235...

Guido
09-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Sorry that I didn't post that this is a new Speaker!

The ones you remembered was K140 reconed to 2235 and they do work perfect now. The reconer who did these K140 is OK.

The two speakers you see one of I recently bought from a american guy on ebay.
I told him that something sounds wrong and he offered to take everything back.
But I didn't want to spend another 80 bucks for resending to the states and first tried to find out whats wrong.
You see the result......

4313B
09-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Sorry that I didn't post that this is a new Speaker!

The ones you remembered was K140 reconed to 2235 and they do work perfect now. The reconer who did these K140 is OK.

The two speakers you see one of I recently bought from a american guy on ebay.
I told him that something sounds wrong and he offered to take everything back.
But I didn't want to spend another 80 bucks for resending to the states and first tried to find out whats wrong.
You see the result......
Ah Ha!!! I thought that looked like typical American handiwork ;) You really had me worried dude! I thought Germany was going to hell in a garbage truck too. What a relief :) :) :) Ok, so this is some recone job done over here. Makes sense, I've seen loads of that crap over here. Everyone here want's their recones done at Walmart while they shop. :D

boputnam
09-10-2003, 11:13 AM
That Bo, is a mini rant. ;)

Dave G
09-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Hello Guido

it's not a nice feeling being had. I have had a similar problem with JBL le15a recones. Bear in mind that these are genuine cones.

Genuine you ask? You need to learn E-bay or dodgy reconer speak.

:banghead:

I would not recomend any reconers in UK either. I would start learning to do it yourself if you are going to keep dealing with these type of drivers.

4313B
09-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Dave G
Hello Guido

it's not a nice feeling being had. I have had a similar problem with JBL le15a recones. Bear in mind that these are genuine cones.

Genuine you ask? You need to learn E-bay or dodgy reconer speak.

:banghead:

I would not recomend any reconers in UK either. I would start learning to do it yourself if you are going to keep dealing with these type of drivers.
Well, there ARE a few excellent reconers left in the U.S., it's just finding them that can be difficult. I think the problem is that people today look at a typical JBL driver and they don't really see what we all first saw back so many years ago. They just see some hardware that needs a new cone and they fail to understand that just any old cone won't do.

That line JBL printed in some manual a long time ago couldn't be more applicable today.

"Understanding What You Are Dealing With"

Alex Lancaster
09-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, that was a nasty recone, and wait till You tell us what the wire looks like.

The only aluminum formers I have seen on JBL's are on the "K" and "E" musical instrument line, and they have holes about 3mm all around for ventilation, I am not familiar with the "D" series.

Alex

boputnam
09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
I would start learning to do it yourself if you are going to keep dealing with these type of drivers. And JBL themselves has made that a dead-end here. JBL have clamped-down on all sources of recone kits so that even those that know how to do the work - and do it right - cannot source kits.

4313B
09-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
And JBL themselves has made that a dead-end here. JBL have clamped-down on all sources of recone kits so that even those that know how to do the work - and do it right - cannot source kits.
And that's a bad thing?

Dave G
09-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Well I got a 2226 cone kit last year. Pay retail but no worries about posting drivers and no labour charges.

They thump it out all day and all night with a bridged QSC PLX 3400 so I am happy with my work;)

Perhaps I should stockpile?

boputnam
09-10-2003, 01:10 PM
And that's a bad thing? I'm loving the idea.

Dave G
09-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Well, all I can say is I took my LE 15 to the susposed experts and they could not even get the dodgy pattern cone tinsel wires to line up with the posts. I did post pictures here.

I just don't think the majority of repairers give a f**k about the quality work anymore.

I'm sure that Giskard does a nice clean job and will check everything before proceding.

4313B
09-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Well, all I can say is I took my LE 15 to the susposed experts and they could not even get the dodgy pattern cone tinsel wires to line up with the posts. I did post pictures here.

I just don't think the majority of repairers give a f**k about the quality work anymore.

I'm sure that Giskard does a nice clean job and will check everything before proceding.
Not me! I'm just lamenting the current state of affairs!

Guido
09-10-2003, 01:46 PM
And JBL themselves has made that a dead-end here. JBL have clamped-down on all sources of recone kits so that even those that know how to do the work - and do it right - cannot source kits.

Does this mean that JBL no longer allow recone kits to end user?

I think I still can buy some here in Germany.

boputnam
09-10-2003, 01:52 PM
I think I still can buy some here in Germany.

:dancin: :scoot: :smthsail: :scoot:

:smthsail: :scoot: :dancin:

Dave G
09-10-2003, 02:03 PM
.....Are not available for resale.

Of course if your JBL authorized distributor does the work it should be warranty covered. I think they should only charge about 30 mins per woofer, or is that just in USA?

I don't trust em here so I sent em to orange county speaker repair for a regauss as well.

Yes, the two way ship was expensive.
:smthsail: :bash: :smthsail: :rockon1:

Dave G
09-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Nice use of smilies bo.:D

4313B
09-10-2003, 02:08 PM
I don't trust em here so I sent em to orange county speaker repair for a regauss as well.
Good idea :)

Daniel B
09-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Guido,

I’m confused.

One of K140's was making a funny noise, but you didn’t pop the cap off of it.

db

Guido
09-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Daniel B
Guido,

I’m confused.

One of K140's was making a funny noise, but you didn’t pop the cap off of it.

db

The K140s was reconed to 2235 2 month ago. I had a problem with one of them but the reconer repaired it. Now both K140 (2235A) are ok now.

But the two new 2235 from Ebay have crap cones:banghead:

GordonW
09-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Well, there ARE a few excellent reconers left in the U.S., it's just finding them that can be difficult. I think the problem is that people today look at a typical JBL driver and they don't really see what we all first saw back so many years ago. They just see some hardware that needs a new cone and they fail to understand that just any old cone won't do.

That line JBL printed in some manual a long time ago couldn't be more applicable today.

"Understanding What You Are Dealing With"

Well, OTOH, there are SOME of us out there, doing reconing and other speaker repair work, that look at the gaping holes left in the available kits, the necessary time to aquire kits (some that don't even have delivery dates for new batches to be made) for the ones that are "available", and come to the realization that in many cases, it's "make do with what you got", or do nothing at all, to get a customer something they can work with, in a time frame that actually makes SENSE. :banghead:

Personally, for many drivers (not just JBL), I've actually gone to the trouble to modify parts, to combine parts from completely differnent manufacturers... to make up assemblies as absolutely close as possible out of parts gotten from the 4 corners of the earth (how about an Eminince cone, with a CV voice coil, a generic spider and a generic foam surround, to ALMOST EXACTLY recreate the original T/S parameters and FR, of a Tonegan/Radio Shack 18" woofer, for one example?) to try and make a speaker sound AS CLOSE AS DAMN POSSIBLE to what it originally did.

Heck, there's some cases, when I look at JBL's "recommended replacment, use as last resort", and say "I can do better than that, making it up myself"... and you know what? Usually, I'm RIGHT. I wind up with something closer to the original than the "recommended replacement"... and I know I'm not the only one out there that can do that, cuz there's some really talented guys out there, that have been doing this FAR longer than I. You just have to be selective, and not let the first Tom, Dick or Harry you find, hack up your stuff... :biting:

Regards,
Gordon.

4313B
09-10-2003, 06:26 PM
:cheers:

GordonW
09-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Thank you, I feel much better now. :spin:

Regards,
Gordon.
"they're coming to take me away, ho ho, hee hee, ha ha...":nutz:

4313B