PDA

View Full Version : Optimal cabinet dimensions

stevem
10-08-2005, 09:48 AM
My box program will give optimal cabinet dimensions for a given enclosure volume in order to minimize the standing waves inside. My question is, does it matter which cabinet wall has the driver mounted on it? Will a driver mounted on the "front" of the enclosure produce the same or different standing waves inside if it is then mounted on the "side" of the box?

stevem
10-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on this? :dont-know

Zilch
10-09-2005, 06:55 PM
I'd guess it does matter, but it's a third or fourth-order kind of effect.

If you then rotate the cabinet does the program reorient the "front" in the parts cutting list?

stevem
10-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I'd guess it does matter, but it's a third or fourth-order kind of effect.

If you then rotate the cabinet does the program reorient the "front" in the parts cutting list?

I don't think my program has that feature.:banghead:

BooBoo Magoo
10-10-2005, 05:38 AM
My question is, does it matter which cabinet wall has the driver mounted on it?Some would argue that you should mount the drivers on the 'side', e.g. the depth should be greater than the width. I've done plenty of 'golden ratio' enclosures and I think they sound best with the driver mounted on the 'side'.

DavidF
10-10-2005, 10:12 AM
My box program will give optimal cabinet dimensions for a given enclosure volume in order to minimize the standing waves inside. My question is, does it matter which cabinet wall has the driver mounted on it? Will a driver mounted on the "front" of the enclosure produce the same or different standing waves inside if it is then mounted on the "side" of the box?

I assume that the program also assumes (error squared?) a box with 90 degree angles, i.e. rectangular. The math will likely calculate different frequencies of standing waves in side vs. end mounting. The issue remains with parallel walls setting up the problem to begin with. I will bet that the program assumes practice of mounting the woofers in the widest baffle orientation. I would start with the best orientation of the woofer on the baffle that meets your overall design and use work-arounds for the standing wave issues (glass or foam padding, angled interior braces, etc.).

DavidF

stevem
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
I would start with the best orientation of the woofer on the baffle that meets your overall design and use work-arounds for the standing wave issues (glass or foam padding, angled interior braces, etc.).

DavidF

This is the approach I have always taken, but sometimes I need to re-examine by basic premises to make sure I'm doing things the best (correct) way.

AlexanderS
10-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Hi, Stevem,

Try also my program: http://members.fortunecity.com/winreal3d/

Check section 10 on the web.

You can change the shape of the box and look at the effect of internal resonances.

For room effects I suggest that the first start is with no reflection from walls, floor and ceiling, and the second with reflection from the floor and ceiling only.

Best regards,

Alexander