PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Surround

indycraft
10-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Hello,

What is the black substance used to coat the cloth surround and seal the dust cover on a 123A speaker? Is it available from JBL and will they sell it to an individual?

Thanks,
Indy

Is this Iowa?
No, it's heaven

Zilch
10-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Mastic. I believe GordonW has made some recommendations. Check out his posts using "Advanced Search." Please post the relevant links you find for future reference....

paragon
10-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Bitumen ???

indycraft
10-05-2005, 12:25 AM
I found information posted by Edgewound regarding dome adhesives.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7023

Listed adhesives are: Loctite Black Max, Black bostic, Black CP Moyen.

Still looking for information on cloth surrounds. Can cloth surrounds be "reconditioned" so to speak? I have seen speakers (usually 4311s) in pictures (ebay) with some sort of goo dripping down the front. Why wouldn't they have placed the cabinet on its' back? (rhetorical question but welcome your responses)

Thanks
Indy

Is this Iowa?
No it's Heaven

Zilch
10-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Vertical is the best storage position so that the spiders and cone don't sag under gravity.

Invert the driver, and the mastic will run the other way.

Didya know glass is a fluid? Over hundreds of years it will get thicker at the bottom due to gravity.

[It don't run out over the edge of the frame tho.... :) ]

johnaec
10-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Didya know glass is a fluid?Dang - 'guess I'd better flip the tops on my L65's... :rolleyes: :duck:

John

Titanium Dome
10-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Vertical is the best storage position so that the spiders and cone don't sag under gravity.

Invert the driver, and the mastic will run the other way.

Didya know glass is a fluid? Over hundreds of years it will get thicker at the bottom due to gravity.

[It don't run out over the edge of the frame tho.... :) ]

I can verify this from the windows in an old house I bought in MI some years ago. The house was built in 1880 and had the original windows in the back section. I replaced them of course, but having heard the "glass is liquid" thing before, I took one of the old panes and cut a cross section from top to bottom in three places.

All five glass slices were thicker near the bottom and thinner at the top, but the distortion was greater in the center, where the top was thinner and the bottom thicker than anywhere else. Also, the sag in the middle was lower than the edge pieces.

I wondered if left standing for another hundred years if the tops would eventually gap, but I didn't have the time to wait, so I threw them away. :p

JBLnsince1959
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
but having heard the "glass is liquid" thing before, I took one of the old panes and cut a cross section from top to bottom in three places.

All five glass slices were thicker near the bottom and thinner at the top

simply turn them upside down and in another 100 years they'll be perfect again. :D

scott fitlin
10-05-2005, 03:12 PM
simply turn them upside down and in another 100 years they'll be perfect again. :DNow why didnt i think of this? If I knew i was going to be around in another hundred years......

Wonder if JBL will still be around?

:D

Titanium Dome
10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Now why didnt i think of this? If I knew i was going to be around in another hundred years......

Wonder if JBL will still be around?

:D

Well, the original JBL brand is still around, though I won't link to it for fear of offending anyone (again :p ). That JBL product line is over 100 years old.

I wonder if the existence of that JBL is why there's never been a "JBL Cascade" speaker. Ugh! Think about it... :barf: Oh, crap, just do a little digging around, and you'll come up with something.

Don Mascali
10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh, crap:applaud:

paragon
10-08-2005, 10:29 AM
I used simply non drying and cheap Bitumen for cars at my K145 surrounds. A very thin layer with a small brush (?) will help. Compliance is a little bit more stiff than original, but this has no effect in the 4530. TSP will off course change (Reflex enclosure !). But you get also a new driver with other TSP when you change the surround or the whole cone.