PDA

View Full Version : My 811 diaphragm has a dimple in it? Should I worry?

BillEpstein
10-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Some way to pull it out? Vacuum it? Leave it?
Sounds okay....

Earl K
10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Bill,

- Without being overly pointed in this reply ,,, :)

- If I was you, I'd leave it all alone until you articulate that you know the difference between an 811 horn and what's attached onto the back of that horn ( like an Altec ? horn driver of some model ) .
- It's impossible to recommend anything constructive to someone so ( apparently ) misinformed about the differences between these two parts.

- OTOH, perhaps you know the difference between the two and are just trying to introduce some snappy new short-hand lingo. Well , if that's the case, please don't .
- Think of all the misinformation you're spreading ( to newbees ) by asking such a question that includes such broadly assumed & implied knowledge .

Cheers :p

BillEpstein
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Would that make you feel better?
So I mixed up 811 and 806?
Forget I asked. Asshole!

edgewound
10-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Bill,

- Without being overly pointed in this reply ,,, :)

- If I was you, I'd leave it all alone until you articulate that you know the difference between an 811 horn and what's attached onto the back of that horn ( like an Altec ? horn driver of some model ) .
- It's impossible to recommend anything constructive to someone so ( apparently ) misinformed about the differences between these two parts.

- OTOH, perhaps you know the difference between the two and are just trying to introduce some snappy new short-hand lingo. Well , if that's the case, please don't .
- Think of all the misinformation you're spreading ( to newbees ) by asking such a question that includes such broadly assumed & implied knowledge .

Cheers :p

Sorry to say, Earl K...well...no I'm not sorry...That leap down Bill's throat was not necessary. I can understand if you're having a bad day, but he asked a simple question with some syntax error, and you knew what he meant, but you unloaded on him anyway...You owe the man an apology.

edgewound
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Some way to pull it out? Vacuum it? Leave it?
Sounds okay....

Bill...If it has a dimple and sounds fine leave it be. If you're adventurous and want to fix it forget the vacuum. Try this...use the rounded end of a popsicle stick or tongue depresser to ease the dimple back into shape by pushing it out working back and forth gently, with a finger backing the opposite side. The aluminum is fragile so you gotta be GENTLE or you'll crease or possibly tear the diaphragm. I give no warranty on this technique, it's up to you and your own dexterity, but I've done it several times with some good success.
Good luck to you.

Robh3606
10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Can we start this over please??? I think that may have been meant to be humourous.

Bill if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sound's good leave it be.

"Try this...use the rounded end of a popsicle stick or tongue depresser to ease the dimple back into shape by pushing it out working back and forth gently, with a finger backing the opposite side. The aluminum is fragile so you gotta be GENTLE or you'll crease or possibly tear the diaphragm."

I can see me with the stick through the diaphram!

Rob:)

Steve Schell
10-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Bill, my experience has been that minor imperfections in the diaphragm's dome do nothing to harm the sound. The main consideration is that the damaged area should be straightened as necessary to prevent it being closer to the phasing plug; the clearances are minimal in a compression driver. I have straightened many domes using my thumbnail on the underside, while watching from the topside. If there is a sharp crease you may have to work at it gently from both sides at once. The aluminum is about .002" thick, and fairly strong. It stood up to being formed in the first place, and it should withstand being straightened out without problems.

John
10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I would have to agree I believe Earl K was just trying to introduce some humour to a thread and someone jumped off the deep end with the "A" word.:(

Also that dimple does nothing to the sound, in fact I have seen it posted by more than a few people on this forum that they have seen JBL ship them that way at times straight from the factory:blink:

I also would be carefull as well to give tech advice if I had the feeling that the person recieving the advice might do more harm than good to their equipment. I would ask a few questions first to make sure he understood the potential to inflict more harm to the diaphram.:banghead:

spkrman57
10-04-2005, 03:58 AM
And Bill, Earl K. is a nice guy, I think you both had a sore moment.

I hope you both can get by this and let it go away.

Bill is not a aged veteran, but does understand some of the basics.

Sometimes criticism sounding like sarcasm can hurt some feelings.

Are we all okay with this now???

Ron

2pair
10-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Why is everyone defending earl? When he won't do it for himself? :bs: I don't see anything funny in his post, and I would be as offened as Bill was.

I agree with Edgewound..
you owe the man an apology

Robh3606
10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
This thread is closed because of the direction it seems to be heading in. If two members have issues with anothers post it should remain between them. We don't need a thread turning into a free for all with members who are not directly involved posting opinions on either side. You have two adults here. I think they can deal with any issues they have with each other without our help.

Rob:)