PDA

View Full Version : Pile of Control series at my office...

Fred Sanford
10-02-2005, 08:22 AM
My office (a JBL dealer) is cleaning out old stock, and has a pile of JBL speakers cluttering up the office. Is there anything in this list that is especially good, that I should make a bid on? One of my bosses would probably give them to me for any reasonable offer, the other would more likely want their full cost from me. Just curious if you all had any input...

Control 25T indoor/outdoor speakers (with 70V/100V autoformer, I assume it could be bypassed, has anyone done this?). 1 pair.

Control 18ST indoor/outdoor sub (8" driver, with autoformer). 1 unit.

Control SB-2 indoor stereo sub (dual voice coil 10"). 1 unit. They also have a JBL bracket to hang this speaker.

Control 24CT in-ceiling speakers (round, with autoformer) 2 pair.

These are all in box, some opened. Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

je

mikebake
10-02-2005, 09:35 AM
I have a pair of the Control 18's 8 inchers, don't like them, suggest pass on that item.

Zilch
10-02-2005, 11:28 AM
The Sub2 is especially good, a reiteration of an early vintage design. Get a pair of 'em if you can.

Control 5+ and 28 are good, and the older Control 10 3-way if there's any of those.

Also, 8SR, if any, a discontinued model.

Almost any of the indoor/outdoor models are good for patio duty.

Yes, you can usually bypass the transformers....

Fred Sanford
10-02-2005, 11:42 AM
It appears that all this gear was bought new ~1996-1998.

Excellent, thanks for the info, guys...any suggestions what I should offer for the SB-2? Full Compass shows list price as $333.00

Thanks,

je

Zilch
10-02-2005, 12:04 PM
...any suggestions what I should offer for the SB-2? Full Compass shows list price as $333.00.Well, I don't know the purchase dynamic, but I'd offer $75 but be prepared to go to $150. I've got one playing here in my office right now.... :)

Afterthought regarding my comment about indoor/outdoor versions and patio duty, above. Those are ALSO appropriate for installation in bathrooms, where condensation of humidity from the shower will make short work of conventional speakers....