PDA

View Full Version : JBL LSR6300 Series - Experiences?

sdaniel
09-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Has anyone had the luck to audition them, or are there reviews available? What about the RMC? Would it create a too well defined sweet spot to be used in a home theatre? Is it only applicable to the recording studio application? The manual seems involved, (http://www.jblpro.com/LSR/RMCUserGuide.pdf),

They do seem respectable, but what do users think?

Two LSR6332's a LSR6312SP, and three LSR6328P please, Santa.

SDaniel

Valentin
09-27-2005, 07:48 AM
I have a pair of lsr6332 and a a 6312 sub

I have them for stereo and they are great very detail sound and very smooth

the sweet spot is very ample and play very loud if desired

they don’t vary in tone with volume

personally for HT i would use 3 lsr 6332 2 lsr6312 and 2 lsr6328 for rears

I have head also 6328 and it great if your room is not that big i would use

5 lsr6328 and 1 lsr6312sub

this last system would let you eq with the RMC the bass in your room

the lsr6312 does not give you the deepest bass but it gives it very tite and defined down to about 25hz

if your for bass wait for the new array 1500 sub

Tom Loizeaux
09-27-2005, 04:49 PM
I just got an e-mail flyer from JBL announcing their new LSR 4300 monitors.

(Personally, I suspect that their old 4300 series, especially the 4343, 4344, 4345 and 4350 sound better.)

Tom

Don C
09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I just had to search for them:
http://www.jandsnz.com/index.php/pi_pageid/46/pi_newsitemid/24

sdaniel
12-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I have a pair of lsr6332 and a a 6312 sub

I have them for stereo and they are great very detail sound and very smooth

the sweet spot is very ample and play very loud if desired

they don’t vary in tone with volume

personally for HT i would use 3 lsr 6332 2 lsr6312 and 2 lsr6328 for rears

I have head also 6328 and it great if your room is not that big i would use

5 lsr6328 and 1 lsr6312sub

this last system would let you eq with the RMC the bass in your room

the lsr6312 does not give you the deepest bass but it gives it very tite and defined down to about 25hz

if your for bass wait for the new array 1500 sub

Note: since posting this note, I found the owners manual for the lsr line, which is more detailed than the spec sheet, thus should answer the tech questions. But please comment if you wish.

Well, I am closer to going the ‘buy it new’ route, and have questions about the LSR 63 line.

The “home theatre’ kit they sell looks nice, but read on.

The installation is a HT, but I’d still like to be able to go old school, turn off the little speakers, and crank up two big mains when I want to just play albums. So I think two 6332’s, two subs, a 6328 center, and maybe 2 for the rear channel. (I hope those in wall speakers will give good enough back channel performance to save me some cash) (Yea, I’ll fork over for two subs, and go cheap on the rear channel – Am I goofy? I will look up the array 1500 sub)

The room is 18’ deep, 13’ wide front, 17’ wide rear, with 8’8” ceiling. (I wish it was deeper, but am glad it is not square.) I have a nice Yamaha HT receiver I’d like to use for the processing and rear amplification, and a Crown DC300a for the 6332’s.

My primary questions are, first, the 6332’s go down to 60Hz, and as far as I can see, the sub is fixed at 80 Hz top end. I can see running its outputs to the crown/6332’s, OR using the sub out on the receiver. The first would require signal cables to the sub, back to the rack, (located in the back wall of the theatre.) then speaker wires to the 6332’s. No problem, except long runs are something I shy away from. The other option, using the sub out on the receiver works better IF the receiver has a high-pass for the main outputs and powers its 'sub out' when in ‘stereo’ mode. (I may have to dig up the manual for that.)

My second involves this quote from the subwoofer manual:

“For compatibility with film industry playback standards,
a +10 dB LFE gain is provided and engaged by a pushon/
push-off switch on the rear electronics panel. This
operates only on the Direct input, and its purpose is to
restore proper level to the LF effects channel, which may
have been previously attenuated by 10 dB during program
processing.”

If it was attenuated in the studio, wouldn’t you want it back no matter which input you used? And, will I have to turn it off for music? Could it be redundant with a subwoofer output on the receiver?

Lastly, will the RMC work with such a configuration?

Thanks,
SD

Valentin
12-16-2005, 04:22 PM
the RMC funtion Will work grate

for the fron speakers use the crown amps by passed from the subs from 80hz up
i would recomend the central chanel to be lsr 6332
and only the back chanels lsr6328

sdaniel
12-20-2005, 01:26 PM
the RMC funtion Will work grate

for the fron speakers use the crown amps by passed from the subs from 80hz up
i would recomend the central chanel to be lsr 6332
and only the back chanels lsr6328

Thanks, your layout is optimal, if economics allow. 6332 is a big center channel, and I just might not want to push my budget.

Sdaniel

speakerdave
12-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I think "program processing" refers not to work in the studio, but rather bass management in your receiver or CD/DVD player.

I haven't heard the new LSR speakers, but I do use the older LSR 32's in a stereo setup for movies and CD's. I think they are remarkable speakers.

David

sdaniel
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
I wrote this in response to a private message inquiring about my experience with my purchase. I thought I'd put it here for the benefit of all mankind.

I like them a lot. I have the 6332’s on top of the matching subs, and they work great. I guess the subs are needed if you want them, or it is a matter of taste. If I recall, the 32’s numbers go low enough to make them excellent 12” speakers on there own, but given today’s technology, and standards, the subwoofers are 'needed'! I power the 32’s with a 45-watt Yamaha pro amp. The 32’s are 4 ohm, so they see @ 90 watts, which is plenty. When I go to 11, and the subs start to clip, the 32’s don’t seem to distort at all. It is loud as can be. I have to find my SPL meter so I can quantify it.

When I am in the mood to be critical, I am not pleased with the fit and finish of the ‘waveguide’ tweeters on the 6332's. The assembly has little ridges between the parts (magnet, diaphragm/spacer, washer/ mounting flange.) that I think would ‘trip up’ high frequencies. The ‘waveguide’ on the 6328 and 6325 is one piece, and smooth. But I don’t even play an engineer on TV, and they sound great, so I’m going to live with it.

My system is 5 way, with two towers as described above, a 6328 for center channel, and 6325’s for surround. If I were doing it all over, I might swap the 6332’s for 6328’s, but only because it would look smaller in the room, and I’d have the better waveguides all around.

A note of caution, perhaps, is that the series has balanced inputs, and home theater processors with balanced outputs are expensive top end devils. Most receivers only have speaker outputs, or unbalanced outputs. One guy at JBL pro pointed me to a schematic for one of their products that accepts speaker level inputs, and said I could use those two resistors in the positive and neutral lines to protect the inputs. I called later and talked to another guy, who said no way, do not do it. So I did it anyway, and it works fine. The speakers are so quiet at idle, all I can hear is the projector fan.

One of these days I will post a photo show of the install. Right now I am configuring a 5” video monitor into a rack panel so I can preview video without turning on the projector. It will come in handy when listening to satellite radio via DirecTV.