PDA

View Full Version : Do These Look Right? (Need Fast Response Please)

toddalin
09-26-2005, 10:31 AM
I am thinking of bidding on these for my L200 cabinets (to replace the 130As), but the foam edge doesn't quite look right. It looks like the surround was redone to the front of the cone (the glossy appearance). The JBL literature doesn't appear glossy on the front. The seller noted to me that the cones had been redone in the past. The seller is local and I could pick them up thereby reducing the cost. These go off in a couple hours so if someone more knowledgable than me could take a look and let me know if they look right (and hopefully not bid against me), I would appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-JBL-2231A-WOOFERS-FOR-4343-OR-4333-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ5811013435QQcategoryZ50597QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Thanks

Robh3606
09-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Those look like cloth surrounds to me. Should be foam. Must have been reconned along the way.

Rob:)

edgewound
09-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Todd...

Looks like they were reconed with 2225 kits....I take that back. The yellow marking on the back looks to say 2231....probably redone with a cloth 2225 type surround.

frank23
09-26-2005, 11:35 AM
2231 should be reconed with 2235 recone set, which is a foam surround like the original 2231

the foam surround was chosen for a reason [lower Fs and larger excursion]

a 2231 cone with a cloth surround very probably does not have the same thiele-small parameters as an original 2231 [or 2235 recone] and would be likely to need a different size cabinet and port tuning and not deliver the low frequencies as a 2231 would do

greetings, Frank

Zilch
09-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I am thinking of bidding on these for my L200 cabinets...Have we discussed makin' 4430's outta them? ;)

toddalin
09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Have we discussed makin' 4430's outta them? ;)

No, what's involved and what are the advantages???

They currently have 130A, LE175/HL-91, 075, N1200, N8000

So if they are in fact 2231 cones (as I also noted on the markings) redone with a cloth edge, I would never get another speaker to match up unless I were to have it redone the same way ($$$). (I'm trying to get at least three that are the same for LCR) Also a true 2225 doesn't fair much better in an L200 cabinet than the 130As that are to be replaced, though these 2231s could be somewhere between the two.

Robh3606
09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Isn't there a 136HS kit that has a pleated surround??? You would have to measure the drivers for T/S and may have a hard time finding a third.

Zilch
09-26-2005, 01:55 PM
No, what's involved and what are the advantages???

They currently have 130A, LE175/HL-91, 075, N1200, N8000Well, you're running three-way, so I can't make QUITE so good a case. ;)

Gettin' 2235's or equal in there will fix your bass and get you part way. You'll have to determine whether they push to 1200 Hz well enough to satisfy.

If not, and you start thinking about reworking the rest of it, talk to me about going constant directivity two-way as an option.

Do you ever get up to the Bay Area? Hearing them is best. :)

What's involved? See my avatar....

toddalin
09-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, you're running three-way, so I can't make QUITE so good a case. ;)

Gettin' 2235's or equal in there will fix your bass and get you part way. You'll have to determine whether they push to 1200 Hz well enough to satisfy.

If not, and you start thinking about reworking the rest of it, talk to me about going constant directivity two-way as an option.

Do you ever get up to the Bay Area? Hearing them is best. :)

What's involved? See my avatar....

Thanks.

Actually will be up in the Bay Area in Nov.

Couldn't I lower the horn crossover point by placing a resistor in series with the horn thereby increasing the impedience seen by the crossover? I recognize that this doesn't change the bass crossover point, but would add more overlap at the crossover frequency.

Zilch
09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Couldn't I lower the horn crossover point by placing a resistor in series with the horn thereby increasing the impedience seen by the crossover? I recognize that this doesn't change the bass crossover point, but would add more overlap at the crossover frequency.Nope. The output is tapped inductor:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network%20Schematics/N1200.pdf

You COULD try 3110 instead, tho, but then you'd be pushin' the 175, maybe. 175 play 800 Hz on H91? I dunno.

Actually will be up in the Bay Area in Nov.Well, put "Zilch" on your list, then.... :p

Tom Loizeaux
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Why not wait for a real pair of 2231s?
They do become available from time to time. I have 2 on my "spares" shelf.

Tom

toddalin
09-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Why not wait for a real pair of 2231s?
They do become available from time to time. I have 2 on my "spares" shelf.

Tom

Everyone has "spares" on their shelves, but no one wants to part with them (reasonable).

I was 2nd high bidder on a set of 2235Hs yesterday and seller offered me a pair at my bid price. Hopefully they are in excellent shape. Now I need a second pair (center channel and subwoofer). Anyone have a pair of 2235Hs they want to sell?

Robh3606
09-26-2005, 07:27 PM
"Anyone have a pair of 2235Hs they want to sell?"

Don't forget you can get cores and drop in new recone kits. A core would be a 2225 as an example.

toddalin
09-27-2005, 09:38 AM
"Anyone have a pair of 2235Hs they want to sell?"

Don't forget you can get cores and drop in new recone kits. A core would be a 2225 as an example.

Yes, but recones are $175+ tax each + basket/frame.

pangea
09-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Everyone has "spares" on their shelves, but no one wants to part with them (reasonable).

I was 2nd high bidder on a set of 2235Hs yesterday and seller offered me a pair at my bid price. Hopefully they are in excellent shape. Now I need a second pair (center channel and subwoofer). Anyone have a pair of 2235Hs they want to sell?

Be VERY careful with that kind of offerings!!!!

BR
Roland

PS: Let him take new pictures of all the drivers he's selling and let him give you the serial numbers as well, in advance.

Se if he has sold anything before and check all his ratings.

Don C
09-28-2005, 07:24 AM
I want to echo what Pangea said in his post and add an anecdote. I sold a motorcycle on eBay a couple of months ago, and did very well on it. A few weeks after getting the bike shipped out to the high bidder, who was happy, I got an email through ebay from the third highest bidder. He wanted to know where his bike was, and he was threatening to report me to ebay. I called him up on the phone, and it turns out that someone had contacted him using eBay's contact a member button, claiming to be me, and had offered to sell him the bike cheap. The scammer claimed that the first bidder had backed out. He was using a free email account that he had given in his first message. The victim sent $2500.00 to a Western Union office in los Angeles. That was only about half of the bike's value, but still a big loss, he'll never see that money again. Fortunately for me, when I explained the situation to him he understood that it was only his own mistake. Be careful out there, make sure that you are dealing with the person that you think you are dealing with. A quick message to me or to ebay, using ebay's contact a member button or safe harbor, could have prevented the scam from working at the beginning.

toddalin
09-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the warning guys. Under the ebay, "Second Chance Offer," ebay is supposed to stand behind the transaction, as if it were a normal purchase. From ebay e-mail:

"The selling of this item through Second Chance Offer is in compliance with eBay policy; you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for all eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection."

Still, I didn't take immediate advantage of it and have not heard from seller since our 2nd coorospondance. I would expect to see them on ebay again sometime in the near future (and they'll probably go for more $$$).

Zilch
09-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Actual eBay "Second Chance" offer comes with its own eBay auction page, i.e., it's not a private interaction with the "seller."

toddalin
09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Actual eBay "Second Chance" offer comes with its own eBay auction page, i.e., it's not a private interaction with the "seller."

It did. I just didn't include it here. It also gives you the chance to interact with the seller before purchase.