PDA

View Full Version : PB12 problem

Dum@ss
09-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Shortly after my warranty ran out my PB12(revision 2) started to act funny. After 3 or 4 minutes it would begin to cut in and out rapidly and the front LEDs would flash green and red. I happen to know as much about electronic circuit boards and schematics as I do about quantum gravity physics...absolutly nothing. Be that as it may I figured that I would at least try to find out what was wrong with it before I posted any questions online. I downloaded the service manual for the PB12 and removed the amplifier. It took all of a second to figure out the problem. It was the NPE(?) C72 (6v8/100v k) part# 033680464-270. It was fairly charred on the solder side of the board. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the approximate price of the part or how much a service tech might charge to replace the part, and to solder a 16-18 gauge jumper or bus wire across the 2 connections of the L5 ferrite bead as outlined in the July 03 service bulletin. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not have the funds for another sub. Thank you in advance.

Zilch
09-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Check with your Harman service center. That should be a $25 - $50 repair, assuming nothing else is wrong....

duaneage
09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
They may be able to swap the board out for another. Looks like a power supply problem, there may be additional parts that need to be replaced.

Dum@ss
09-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply fellas. I took the amp in to a local repair shop (JBL authorized fixer guys). They charged me $30 to look at it and said that they could have it back to me "in a month or so" once they figure out whats wrong and how much it will cost. He said he couldn't even guesstimate how much it would cost to fix it. The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth, they seemed fairly unprofessional. I have one more question. I have a friend who works at a electronic "superstore" and knows a lot about electronics. He had mentioned that the PB12 amps are plagued with problems and I should just hook up a big ol' house amp that I have lying around. The sub is hidden from veiw so that wouldn't be a problem. My question is this: what are the four wires coming out of my box (I'm assuming the black and white tied together are the + and - speaker leads) but there is also a green and a black. Should I try to hook up my amp or hope my local shop doesn't treat me like a Alcatraz shower patsy? Or should I forgo all the hassle and order a new amp like the Dayton SA240? Thanks for any help you can give this Dum@ss!

pelly3s
09-27-2005, 07:52 PM
well i will tell you that it definately looks like its broken lol.... ok anyways i am no electronics expert and i have no clue where in line that part is in the signal flow. it could be possible that it is part of the protection circuit and the speaker may be dead shorting due to some reason. how long out of warranty is the sub? the fasted turn around would probably be to send it back to JBL and have them service it, or see if it is a direct board swap and see if they will just send another one to you.

Zilch
09-28-2005, 12:05 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3933

LE15-Thumper
09-28-2005, 04:23 AM
Re-check link to other thread for update on my PB12 experience.