PDA

View Full Version : Want 511Bs up and running

not2l8
09-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, I hate to do it, but after looking around for a couple of hours I'd better go to the experts. Thanks in advance...

I have a couple of old 511B horns that I'd like to get new drivers for. It seems like the 902-8B may be the correct driver, but I didn't see any anywhere on the net. (even eBay)

So the question is, even if I do run across a pair of these drivers, can I still get diaphramas for them? Is there a newer driver with the standard two bolt pattern available that would work if not?

thanks again,

Dave

speakerdave
09-24-2005, 11:48 PM
I have a couple of old 511B horns that I'd like to get new drivers for. It seems like the 902-8B may be the correct driver, but I didn't see any anywhere on the net.
Hello,

First, you could go the the Lansing Heritage Library (see the site tool bar above), select the Altec section and read promotional and technical literature from the company. You could also search on this web site for discussion of models you are interested in.

You could go to this web site:

http://www.iconicspkrs.com/
These people, as I understand it, bought the Altec tooling, etc, after its last parent company closed it, and hired some of the staff as well. They make new drivers that will work on those horns.

And this:

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/
is the web site of a company dedicated to service and and information for owners of the classic Altec equipment. There you can get diaphragms for the classic Altec drivers. There is also a discussion forum there.

At least a few of the classic Altec drivers are virtually always on eBay.

David

DavidF
09-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, I hate to do it, but after looking around for a couple of hours I'd better go to the experts. Thanks in advance...

I have a couple of old 511B horns that I'd like to get new drivers for. It seems like the 902-8B may be the correct driver, but I didn't see any anywhere on the net. (even eBay)

So the question is, even if I do run across a pair of these drivers, can I still get diaphramas for them? Is there a newer driver with the standard two bolt pattern available that would work if not?

thanks again,

Dave

"New drivers"... does that mean you have some but want different drivers, or you have none currently?

DavidF

not2l8
09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
They are totally missing, only have the horns. Been sitting in a closet since the early 80's. I've been mostly "just getting by" for the band with some old Peavey columns (2 Twelves, 2 tens and three tweeters). Some of the rooms we're playing in lately are a bit larger, so I think I need a little longer throw with the highs. We've recently added some sub woofers so we can mic up drums and run bass direct.

BTW, just thought I'd mention that for the price, we are very happy with the new Behringer SL3242 board. Is has two onboard digital effects that sound pretty good. The only drawback is that the effects are all preset with no adjustments.

Thanks for the reply,
Dave

not2l8
09-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Speaker Dave,

Thanks so much for the advice. I had seen some of what you mentioned on this web site, but guess I just am not drawing it together on which drivers fit the 2 hole pattern. Nevertheless, the advice on Iconics was absolutely awesome. While I'd love to have some of the vintage Altec drivers for nostalgic reasons , I don't necessarily need the utmost quality since we are going to be scoping the PA soon. (Which if done right can make some pretty bad speakers sound awfully good)

speakerdave
09-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, I hope it helps. It wasn't clear from your first post that you are planning to use these for PA. The Altec aluminum diaphragms are not known for standing up to a lot of pounding. For that you need the Altec Pascalite diaphragms or aftermarket titaniums.

Sound re-enforcement is not something I know a lot about, but if it were me I would not try to plan a band kit around a pair of Altec 511B's that just happen to be around. If the object is saving money, these horns are very common and can be had on ebay usually for less than $150 for a pair, so that is the total potential saving realizable by using them, and if you were to sell them, even less, maybe nothing. As you have already found, using Altec equipment can be inconvenient to say the least. What about using speakers made by a company that is still in business, like JBL, for example?

David