PDA

View Full Version : Minigon (S5?) Driver Repair

prw
09-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Greetings everyone,

I found this wonderful forum as I was google-ing for resources regarding a set of Minigons that I inherited from my parents. My father bought them, along with a custom-built (wood-matched) cabinet to house the Minigons and the components (Harmon Kardon tube preamp, amp, tuner and Thorens turntable) sometime between 1955-1959. Based on reading some other threads, I believe they are of the S5 variety, since they each have a woofer, aluminum-domed tweeter and crossover. The HK components haveunfortunately been disposed of over the years and I'm now driving them with a Proton D940 Integrated Amp.

The cabinets are in beautiful condition, but one of the woofers is now "farting out" whenever significant bass content exists with any significant volume. I recall having both woofers re-coned back around the mid-1980's timeframe at a place called Music Dealers Service (MDS) in Chicago, but they are no longer in business. One of the tweeters has several dents in the dome, but I'm not sure if its sound has been compomised, since there's not a whole lot of HF coming out of them. I use them primarily as "background" radio music in the house and they sound pleasant enough, very mellow and open, despite the lack of HF (I keep the preamp's "treble" tone control pinned to max). They are certainly beautiful to look at, blend in nicely with the feel of the house, are a great conversation piece and have sentimental value (I fondly remember growing up with them in the sixties, as they were almost always playing my Dad's Big Band-era music).

Since one woofer is shot, it seems to make sense to get all the drivers and crossovers evaluated and serviced, if possible. Does anyone have any advise? I live in Chicago, but am open to shipping the drivers and crossover, if it makes sense.

Thanks in advance...

Audiobeer
09-22-2005, 11:13 AM
There are many on here that are capable but may not be able to get to it. I have used Orange County. There is a web site http://www.speakerrepair.com/ I have had good luck with them. I have had great luck with those on line here that are techs.

prw
09-22-2005, 11:24 AM
There are many on here that are capable but may not be able to get to it. I have used Orange County. There is a web site http://www.speakerrepair.com/ I have had good luck with them. I have had great luck with those on line here that are techs.

Thank you very much - I have left a message with them and await their response...I'll post updates as I receive addtional info.

prw
09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
BTW - here's a pic for anyone interested...

Zilch
09-22-2005, 01:25 PM
http://www.jblproservice.com/service/illinois.html

Use "Manage Attachments" from the "Edit" window to upload pics to the forum.

There's nothin' we like better'n pics of vintage JBL here.

[Well, ALMOST nothin'.... :p ]

prw
09-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I did use "Manage Attachments" and the pic appeared to upload, but to where, I have no idea?!

prw
09-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Ah - my attachment size was too large before - here you go...

pelly3s
09-27-2005, 07:41 AM
they are beautiful. i was wondering how do you like the Proton D940. I use one too and I was looking for other peoples opinions. I got mine for a great deal. It was $8 the tuner didnt work but that is ok. I am just using it as an amp. I love the thing its got a ton of power for a little amp

prw
09-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Agreed - I hate to admit it with all the audiophiles here, but the Proton is a surprisingly pleasant receiver to listen to. The ergonomic design is well executed too - nice, quality feel/layout to the controls and visually appealing (to my taste). I also like the flexibility they provided with the power amp inputs/preamp outputs - a nice touch for a consumer-level product.

Thanks for the Minigon compliments :cheers:

Lancer
09-27-2005, 08:11 AM
I hate to admit it with all the audiophiles hereAll right! Hold on a minute! Who let all those dicks in here!?

Awesome looking Mini! :yes: