PDA

View Full Version : Help with L100 cloth grill frames?

wpod
09-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Greetings- First I'd like to publicly thank Zilch for making this grillcloth replacement project possible. He provided me with a few yards of JBL blue to cover my L100 frames ( plus a few other projects).If you haven't seen it in a while, this JBL factory cloth is really quite stunning. Zilch made the transaction a breeze with good communication and fast shipping as well. My question is, when JBL issued cloth replacements for the deteriorating foam grills , did they make up "panels" of the cloth to be inserted into the existing frames? The reason I ask, is that I figured a good way to install the cloth would be to fasten (staple) it to a homemade "picture frame", sized to fit inside of the original frame. I suppose this could be fastened with velcro or glue. I'm wondering how thick the wood frame should be to give it the "proper" reveal. In other words, if I used 1/4 inch stock (lattice) and covered it with the cloth, the finished product would be nearly flush with the existing frame. If I used 1 inch stock and covered it, it would yield about 3/4 of an inch reveal ( similar to the foam look). Any idea what JBL did with this issue or any comments on what would look better? Thanks very much, wpod

GordonW
09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Sounds similar to what I've done before, but I used 1x1 board stock (3/4" square). This led to a more "low profile" grille, that looked more reminiscent of that on some of the later model speakers (and, IIRC, more similar to the cloth-grille-replacement-grille-kits JBL sold for the L100s). However, there's no reason a 1" x 1"-board frame wouldn't work...

Regards,
Gordon.

edgewound
09-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Greetings- First I'd like to publicly thank Zilch for making this grillcloth replacement project possible. He provided me with a few yards of JBL blue to cover my L100 frames ( plus a few other projects).If you haven't seen it in a while, this JBL factory cloth is really quite stunning. Zilch made the transaction a breeze with good communication and fast shipping as well. My question is, when JBL issued cloth replacements for the deteriorating foam grills , did they make up "panels" of the cloth to be inserted into the existing frames? The reason I ask, is that I figured a good way to install the cloth would be to fasten (staple) it to a homemade "picture frame", sized to fit inside of the original frame. I suppose this could be fastened with velcro or glue. I'm wondering how thick the wood frame should be to give it the "proper" reveal. In other words, if I used 1/4 inch stock (lattice) and covered it with the cloth, the finished product would be nearly flush with the existing frame. If I used 1 inch stock and covered it, it would yield about 3/4 of an inch reveal ( similar to the foam look). Any idea what JBL did with this issue or any comments on what would look better? Thanks very much, wpod

JBL's solution was to fabricate an insert to install in the walnut banded frame. The insert was routed out of 1/2" particle board with a 45 degree bevel around the edge...a radiused edge looks good too. Attach the cloth with spray glue (3M Super 90) to the back side of the insert, stretching the cloth taught and even. Attach the insert with a few dollops of hot melt around the inside perimeter of the frame....looks pro.