PDA

View Full Version : 250 Ti Limited Edition Impression (lunch!)

Regis
09-19-2005, 02:04 PM
My bud picked up the refoamed woofers Saturday and lunch time today was the first chance we had to drop them in (of course, we'll make up the time...).

Drove to the house and had the L-150's serenade us for the ten minutes or so it took to get eight screws, four wires and two LE14H1's stuffed in the piano black cabs of the 250's. OK, now to turn off the other stereo and see what these sound like. I did warn my bud that the surrounds might take time to break in and the bass might not be all that great at first. This was my experience with the L-300's, but it wasn't to be for the 250 ti's. Oh no, none of that would do for the big black monolith's. They set out to prove me very, very wrong.

Started out with Grover Washington, a smooth jazz CD that has a lot of dynamic range and some serious saxophone work to it. Man, when those horns attack, you get set back. The sound was simply unbelievable. The range, the depth, detail and separation, the 250 ti's have it all! The music pours out in a rolling crescendo, building up as you stare at the black trapezoid boxes wondering how in the hell so much sound can come out.

Real long lunch hour as CD after CD got dropped in. My friend wasn't sure how they'd sound. He had a mild case of the pre-listening-sesh jitters. Would the JBL's disappoint? Would they not live up to the legend that they were? No and hell no! He was solidly stoked at how they sounded and was very pleased at the sonic characteristics of these fine speakers. I was pretty frigging impressed too. We flipped on the L-300's on the other and it was obvious that the L-300's have a higher decibel output even at lower volume, with the high-efficiency horn pushing out more sound than anything else, but you trade some detail for that as the doubled-up mid drivers on the 250's make up in that respect. Turn off the L-300's, just not fair to have horns vs. regular drivers.

Finally, rolled some techno/trance music onto the CD player. Besides liking the music, the electronic music is some of the most demanding stuff you can push through a loudspeaker. Electronic drums, wide and fast ranging synthesisers and radical highs really make a speaker work hard. This is what separates the so-so 'polite' speakers that people pay far too much for, from our favorite brand. The 250's stepped up to the task. The bass was simply bad-ass. You could feel some serious low frequency moving the whole roomful of air. The punch of the drumbeat was crisp and taut with no muddiness whatsover. Harsh electronic highs slammed out of the top effortlessly. They were almost overpowering in output. God, did they sound nice. I could live with this pair of speakers, no problem, as they really, really haul, call me impressed!

spkrman57
09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I could use a lunch time like that!

Ron

Titanium Dome
09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
The sound was simply unbelievable. The range, the depth, detail and separation, the 250 ti's have it all! The music pours out in a rolling crescendo, building up as you stare at the black trapezoid boxes wondering how in the hell so much sound can come out.

...My friend wasn't sure how they'd sound. He had a mild case of the pre-listening-sesh jitters. Would the JBL's disappoint? Would they not live up to the legend that they were? No and hell no! He was solidly stoked at how they sounded and was very pleased at the sonic characteristics of these fine speakers. I was pretty frigging impressed too. We flipped on the L-300's on the other and it was obvious that the L-300's have a higher decibel output even at lower volume, with the high-efficiency horn pushing out more sound than anything else, but you trade some detail for that as the doubled-up mid drivers on the 250's make up in that respect. Turn off the L-300's, just not fair to have horns vs. regular drivers.

Finally, rolled some techno/trance music onto the CD player. Besides liking the music, the electronic music is some of the most demanding stuff you can push through a loudspeaker. Electronic drums, wide and fast ranging synthesisers and radical highs really make a speaker work hard. This is what separates the so-so 'polite' speakers that people pay far too much for, from our favorite brand. The 250's stepped up to the task. The bass was simply bad-ass. You could feel some serious low frequency moving the whole roomful of air. The punch of the drumbeat was crisp and taut with no muddiness whatsover. Harsh electronic highs slammed out of the top effortlessly. They were almost overpowering in output. God, did they sound nice. I could live with this pair of speakers, no problem, as they really, really haul, call me impressed!

Yes, yes, and yes! Direct radiators rule in the music department, though not, as you say, in the sound output department. Study after study shows that most listeners prefer louder, so if an efficient horn cranks out 95dB while another driver is putting out 89dB at the same volume control setting, the subjective response is that the horn sounds better.

Even though I tease folks about their horn units, they are, in fact, remarkable devices in many ways. In many applications they are far superior to direct radiators, especially to the run of the mill drivers that inhabit so many consumer speakers. And if I wanted to hurt somebody, I'd choose a horn. :bash:

In subjective listening, however, I'll take a top quality direct radiator over a horn. The 250Ti is a prime example of why I'd make that choice. The Revel Ultima Salon is another example. I'd take that over a K2 S9800. That's also why I'm so pleased with the Performance Series.

:yes:

If I need louder, I'll get a bigger amp. :banana:

Regis
09-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Yes, yes, and yes! Direct radiators rule in the music department, though not, as you say, in the sound output department. Study after study shows that most listeners prefer louder, so if an efficient horn cranks out 95dB while another driver is putting out 89dB at the same volume control setting, the subjective response is that the horn sounds better.

I couldn't play the L-300's and the 250 Ti's side-by-side, unless I had an adjustable front and rear adjustment set-up similiar to a vintage quad system. Just too much of a mismatch volume-output wise (tho' it would've been very cool to have four large JBL's at serious volume). But when I switched off the L-300's and just added a couple of notches or three to the volume knob, the sound was very much alike between both speakers. Now, this is only a short listening sesh and I couldn't really analyze the two at lunch, but I'd be just as happy having the 250 Ti's as I would the L-300's. Neither one is 'better' than the other, just simply a different approach.

Lancer
09-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Neither one is 'better' than the other, just simply a different approach.One is 70's tech and the other is 80's tech. The engineer who designed both systems probably sees the whole thing differently.

There is something about the 4333 / L300 though that always begs a listen.

Regis
09-20-2005, 04:13 PM

I hear you, the L-300's are begging to be listened to every day, or is that me begging? I almost ran home at lunch again!:p

Lancer
09-20-2005, 04:17 PM
It's you. They're monsters and they have you in their grasp. ;)
I enjoyed the hell out of mine.

I remember when I heard Fresh Aire I for the first time on a pair of L300's...

speakerdave
09-20-2005, 05:36 PM
. . . .our favorite brand
Hmmmm. A new appellation. OFB speakers.

speakerdave
09-20-2005, 05:39 PM
'Tis, yeah, baby.