PDA

View Full Version : Vintage device...what is this?

Trevytrev11
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I found a box full of these things and was hoping someone could help me figure out what they are.

Descrpition:

They are about 6 inches long and about 1-1.5 inches wide and deep. They are made of metal and weigh aboout a pound or two. There is a label on one of the sides that contains the following info from top to bottom:
Altec Acousta Voicing systems.
(There is a bunch of squiggly lines with an arrow through it).
600 Ohms
Frequency
400 HZ
Model Number
9013-9
Equalizer

The top of the piece has a peg thats about a 1/2 inch fall that sticks out from the middle. The bottom has 4 screws (one in each corner) and 4 little pieces with two prongs in the middle.

The device came in a green box that says:
Altec Lansing
Anaheim, California
9013 9
400hz

Made in USA

My grandfather used to work for Hollywood Studios (I think that is the correct name) in the 1960's and these parts were found in his garage after he passed away in the early 1990's.

I also have a similar device that is about an inch shorter and only weighs about an ounce or two. It is made of plastic It is made by TOA and is a "Tone Signal Unit STU-05" It can be seperated into two parts, that are connected by wire. The bottom of the pieces has a plastic knob that is surrounded by 8 metal stubs.

I am looking to sell thes parts and would be interested to know what they are worth and where I could find a buyer.

scott fitlin
09-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Im sure Todd White will be along to say more, but in the meantime, those were probably plug in frequency EQing modules for the original Acousta Voice EQ systems that were used in theatres and such! The sound contactor would measure the theatre or auditorium, and use the appropriate plug in filters.

Trevytrev11
09-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Do you (or does anyone else) know if there is a market for these things? I know they are old and the equipment is semi-rare, but does anyknow one where I could possible locate a buyer and how much they would be worth?

Any other imput would be greatly appreciated, I'm really lacking in knowledge when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

scott fitlin
09-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Go to this forum, and ask Todd White!> http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/forum/f/3729

From what I understand, this type of equalisation system used plug in modules, you had to purchase what you needed for a given job, and plug them into the Acousta Voice EQ frame!

Trevytrev11
09-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Scott,

The reply's over there are about as rare as here. Do you have any idea what these things sell for? If it's not worth my time, I may just toss them. I have one on ebay and people are looking, but no ones buying.

Thanks again.

scott fitlin
09-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Scott,

The reply's over there are about as rare as here. Do you have any idea what these things sell for? If it's not worth my time, I may just toss them. I have one on ebay and people are looking, but no ones buying.

Thanks again.I have no idea as to their value! All I know is originally Altec had the Acousta voice system for smoothing the in room response of systems, and the contractors had to buy the frequency modules they needed! It was rather cumbersome and expensive, and then in the 60,s somewhere the 1/3 octave EQ was invented!

I dont know anything more than this! But, does the modules you have, have a shaft that turns, like as if you would have knob on it? Or is it a plug into some socket device?

If its not a variable device, it was meant to be plugged into a socket of Altec gear, is fixed attenuation at the specified frequency, and if this is the case, would only have value to someone who had the Acousta voice system of that era!

If you would like to send me one, I will look at it, have someone else look at it, I know and old timer whose still around! Let me know! Best I can do.

alein12
12-21-2006, 08:57 AM
hi do u still have these