PDA

View Full Version : L55 Rebuild help please

zipplok
09-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I am rebuilding a pair of L55's and need to replace the felt under the glass tops. Does anyone know what type of material would be best to use? Thank You much, Zipplok

Don C
09-18-2005, 04:15 PM
I have a set, and I don't know what the original material was, because it deteriorated so badly. It's a big mess. A previous owner added some thick material to replace the original, it feels like a wool blanket, but black in color.

Zilch
09-18-2005, 05:43 PM
I think someone earlier mentioned using one of those thick art papers, from the art supply store, but a fabric store will either have felt, or be able to tell you where to get it.

In a pinch, of course, you could use JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth, which is kinda "wooly." ;)

edgewound
09-18-2005, 06:45 PM
A good replacement material is the black carpet to cover pro sound or DJ speakers...it's actually a felt material. Standard black felt could be used too. Wal-mart sells it in the fabric and crafts dept.

majick47
09-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Someone brought this up before re the JBL black felt tops and it was suggested to check with a picture framing store for felt matts. I'm in the process of restoring a couple speakers with badly scratched tops and I inquired with a shop and he said they have matts with a black felt surface that should look very close to the original material.

Audiobeer
09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
The local frame shop near me had the exact match in look and thickness. The only downside was that the flip side was white. I used a black magic marker to correct that on the edges. Looked great.

zipplok
09-19-2005, 05:57 AM
Thank You to everyone ! I believe picture matting will be the way to go as they are available in various sizes and thickness. For the glass to be flush with the top edges, the matt must be at least an 1/8th of an inch thick if not more. Thanks again !!