PDA

View Full Version : Officially converted!

Dingusboy
09-18-2005, 05:37 AM
My Tannoy DMT's are up for sale. :scoot::wave:

My new JBL/Altec mains absolutely blow me away. The closest thing to sex I've ever experienced.
Unfrickin' Believable. :jawdrop:

MJC
09-18-2005, 06:34 AM
My Tannoy DMT's are up for sale. :scoot::wave:

My new JBL/Altec mains absolutely blow me away. The closest thing to sex I've ever experienced.
Unfrickin' Believable. :jawdrop:'
Well, another JBL believer. But, if you want to get close to sex, try jumping out of a plane, or mountain climbing, with with nothing below for 2kft or more. Both will get your adrenaline pumping.:cheers:

spkrman57
09-18-2005, 06:37 AM
I myself started with Altec (A7-VOTT's).

Then I found the JBL 2226 and other similiar drivers and it changed my audio life and I'll never look back to ordinary systems again!

How about pics of your Tannoy's as there are a few fans of the "concentric" on this forum!

Ron

300B4me
09-18-2005, 08:04 AM
You have to love the experts! I went into a local music store here in Pittsburgh. Sitting across the room, pushed in a corner was a pair of Dorian C56.(LE14A, LX10,LE175 DHL) I guess I spent too long looking at the speakers. A sales person came asking if he could help. I said that I may be interested in the speakers. He wasted no time telling me that "current" speakers will out perform them! And for alot less money! I held back my reaction to that statement.Anyway, to make a long story short. I bought them for $200! (my offer).He gave me the lecture on an AS IS purchase.He assured me I would not get my money back.I replaced the woofers with the help of an eBayer parting out a pair of Lancer 99s & rebuilt the crossovers. I just wanted to take a minute & explain how I ended up on the JBL site. This is a very site.

Dingusboy
09-18-2005, 08:48 AM
How about pics of your Tannoy's as there are a few fans of the "concentric" on this forum!

Ron

as requested.

For out of the box speakers that work with SET the DMT's are nice speakers and you could do alot worse for the money. They served me well.

Dingusboy
09-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Here are a couple pics of my new speakers.

The woofers are JBL 2226J's courtesy of Ron and the c/d's are Altec 399's from Great Plains audio. They have a 1.4" throat. Ron will have to chime in with the model on the actual horns as my visit with him left me in model # overload. :D

I currently have them in the 4467 cabs pictured, but hope to brace these (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69922&postcount=9) cabs enough that I don't lose anything in a transfer of the woofers.

spkrman57
09-21-2005, 05:21 AM
JBL 2226J in JBL 3677 cabinets (I love these cabinets - braced well and approx 4 cu ft - I remove the foam on the inside of the ports for use with 2226's)

Great Plains 399 1.4" driver (Similiar to Altec 288-8K) Aluminum diaphram

Cast aluminum short throw horn (I bought from MCM years ago - catalog said it was match up to a JBL horn (???) dimensions of approx 7" H x 11" W x 5" deep and closer to 1 3/8" than the 1.4" 399, but very close!)

Crossover - 1.1 mh coil on 2226 (Recommended Brad get 2 mh if too bright in midrange)
- PE 3rd order hi pass 1.6khz

- HF compensation circuit (15 ohm shunt with 30 ohm resistor and .33 ufd cap paralleled in series with L-pad feeding the HF compression driver)

Ron

analogbass
09-23-2005, 03:42 PM
A Tannoy-JBL lifer who bought new and can never choose..

Titanium Dome
09-23-2005, 04:28 PM
A Tannoy-JBL lifer who bought new and will never want to choose..

That's what I call "stacked."