PDA

View Full Version : lowering the spl of a 2110-H

Jakob
09-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi!
I have just finished of a project where I use a 2110 as a midbass (265Hz to 1200kHz with a 6dB down slope and a 12dB up slope). I think it has good sound qualities, how ever, I would like to lower its spl 3 to 6 dB. When I play this system at high volumes the mid and low treble gets annoying.
The 2110 box is sealed and has a volume of approx. 15 l's
What would You recomend?

Thanks!

-J

Jakob
09-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks Giskard for the link. I know of this resistance-way to decrease the spl of a speaker, but since this driver produces sounds with few Hz's and with many watts, won't ordinary 10W-resistors melt?

-J

Earl K
09-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi Jakob

,,,,,, play this system at high volumes the mid and low treble gets annoying.

What is a high volume in your case ? ( in SPL )

,,,, won't ordinary 10W-resistors melt?

I use 1 ohm, 10 watt resistors inline with some components and they don't even get warm. But then , I don't ever get beyond 90 db (4 feet from the speakers).

You do have resistor options;

(a) - go buy an adjustable 50 watt or 100 watt Lpad ( 8 ohm is easy to find ).

(b) - make up a fixed pad with 20 watt resistors - double them up in parrallel to get 40 watts of power handling. If your circuit calls for a 4 ohm resistor then buy 2 , 8 ohm resistors and wire them in parallel to give you your desired 4 ohm value, etc..

(c) - start with 10 watt values , wire up a single lpad according to the values given from the calculator at the link that Giskard posted. Install your new lpad in an accessible spot at the box, and then cautiously turn up your music. Check/feel the resistor after 1 minute, 2 minutes, then 3 minutes, 4 minutes, again after 5 minutes and so on. If it heats up very fast, then I agree you need more power/heat dissipation - meaning 20 watt or more resistors. But first, I think you might as well discover how many watts of power dissipation you really need - by employing this empirical test method.

regards <. EarlK

4313B
09-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Jakob
Thanks Giskard for the link. I know of this resistance-way to decrease the spl of a speaker, but since this driver produces sounds with few Hz's and with many watts, won't ordinary 10W-resistors melt?

-J

Ok, use this applet then:
http://www.webervst.com/lpad.htm

Parallel up resistors to get the power handling you need.

Jakob
09-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Thank You all for Your input!
I'll give it a try!

Regards!

-Jakob