PDA

View Full Version : JBL L112 re-foam or not?

soj
09-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi, would like to get a few opinions on whether or not I should re-foam the surrounds on my JBL L112's. I bought this pair of speakers new and have used them very little. Cabinets and everything are in like-new shape. I still have the original users manuals and boxes the speakers were shipped in. The only issue with these speakers is that the foam surrounds are going to need replacing.

Long way of getting to my question but, felt the background would help. I'm considering putting these speakers up on ebay and am wondering if I should replace the foam surrounds first or leave it up to the buyer to do so? I know it isn't expensive to replace them but, since these are high-end speaker, the person who would be interested in them might want to do the job themselves so they know exactly the type of job that was done.

Any opinions?

Zilch
09-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Let the buyer do it. Maybe offer to have it done for them, if desired.

I'm always suspicious that some DIY'er screwed it up, and that's why they're for sale.

soj
09-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Good input. Thanks.

majick47
09-11-2005, 07:08 PM
soj did you ever consider listing your L112 speakers on this boards marketplace section? Might be a lot less hassle than Ebay and you would be dealing with some very educated buyers.

DavidF
09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
This is kind of tough to answer. I agree with Zilch from my perspective. Two things to consider for repairs. One is if someone is looking for a working system right out of the box. Not everyone is hands-on like many who frequent here. The other is if the surrounds are completely gone leaving no support for the cones other than the spider. Drivers with no surrounds at all always leave me concerned about too much jostling twisting the voice coil out of round or something.

DavidF

BassHog
09-12-2005, 05:04 AM
If I were buying a pair of 112's, I would definitely prefer to refoam them myself. It leaves no doubt about how the work was done.

soj
09-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks to Zilch, Majick47, DavidF and BassHog for the input. Sounds like all favor leaving them as is and letting the buyer do the work. The original surrounds are still completely there. I noticed two splits in the foam on one of them but, the other doesn't show any. However, I'm sure if one is in need, the other is as well. Thanks again. Soj.

Dynacoman
09-13-2005, 04:25 AM
I would offer the buyer the choice. Some vintage lovers arn't so handy.

Jim

jreiff
04-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Are you looking to sell the L112's? Are the tweeters and Midrange ok?

Hi, would like to get a few opinions on whether or not I should re-foam the surrounds on my JBL L112's. I bought this pair of speakers new and have used them very little. Cabinets and everything are in like-new shape. I still have the original users manuals and boxes the speakers were shipped in. The only issue with these speakers is that the foam surrounds are going to need replacing.

Long way of getting to my question but, felt the background would help. I'm considering putting these speakers up on ebay and am wondering if I should replace the foam surrounds first or leave it up to the buyer to do so? I know it isn't expensive to replace them but, since these are high-end speaker, the person who would be interested in them might want to do the job themselves so they know exactly the type of job that was done.

Any opinions?

hjames
04-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Are you looking to sell the L112's? Are the tweeters and Midrange ok?

DUDE - you really need to look at the DATES of these posts - the other thread was 2004 - this is from 9-13-2005 .. if they were trying to sell its probably GONE!

briang
04-26-2007, 09:25 PM
DUDE - you really need to look at the DATES of these posts - the other thread was 2004 - this is from 9-13-2005 .. if they were trying to sell its probably GONE!

Heather,

In my best President Bill Clinton voice I say to you, "I feel your pain." :)