PDA

View Full Version : Big Bottle Tops

Ian Mackenzie
09-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Has anyone ever used a 2241 or 2425 inverted with the rear cast diaphragm cover removed?

I have read in a pro publication some timeback of a 2241 being used as a 4 inch direct radiator by using it in an inverted mode for a custom monitor.

I think they may have done some machining to remove the phase plug but not sure about that.

Apparently the results were sensational when used in the upper midrange from a cone 2118 or 2123. It certainly would be the biggest and heaviest dome mid around town.

Ian

Robh3606
09-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Hello Ian

Thats interesting. The 093Ti mid is similar to that. It is sealed back with a couple of baffles and foam in it. It also has a foam block under the dome and a foam ring under the compliance ring. Why not should work just fine but what to you do about loading the backside of the diaphram??? How do you figure out the air volume you need?? You wouldn't need the phase plug or the throat. Wonder if you need to keep the plug in there?? Wouldn't that help load it??

What no pictures from your book:p

Rob:)

Ian Mackenzie
09-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure on the loading but will do more research, I think it would be fun to just try it out.

Ian