PDA

View Full Version : Array Product Release

Earl K
09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi ,

- Here's info gleaned from the Harman/JBL site on the just released "Array" series .

- I've included the "parts list" for the ps1400 since until this latest product release, the le14h-3 woofer was available as an "obtainable replacement part" ( & it still may be in the future ).

:p

Earl K
09-06-2005, 04:22 PM
And a couple more bits to the system lineup . :)

- Oh, BTW ; the revamp of the website this last weekend resulted in the removal of the S2600 and S3100 "product support" headings. I'm not sure what that means / maybe the ME150h woofs are all gone / maybe the 2426H drivers have all been moved off the shelves / hard to say . :p

edgewound
09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I tried getting info on the Project Array Series today on the website....no price...not available...even called tech support...not available yet...they don't even have a dealer list to say who has K2, or anything else of interest for that matter. Oh yeah....you can order K2's from Harman direct for $13,500.00 each plus shipping....but there's no where to go see in them in California before you buy....all the products worth owning seem to be a teaser...and it's virtually impossible to talk to anyone on the phone at Harman that know's anything other than they can't help you. JBL Consumer division has turned out to be a complete mess.

Zilch
09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Hmmmm. Sub looks suspiciously like Sub1500. I gotta go look now.... :p

3.5 cuft with 4" port, apparently.

The MTM looks cool. The rest, kinda silly.

HEY, what do I know about marketing?

Zilch.

[Workin' with the right woofs and mids, tho. Just need the Aquaplas dusting machine....]

Trapezoidal, huh?

[Heh, heh.]

Oooops!

Mr. Widget
09-06-2005, 06:52 PM
The MTM looks cool. The rest, kinda silly.

They do look a bit odd, but may actually look cool in person. I must say that it is the first speaker JBL has put their initials on that I'd consider since the M9500... And I bet these are better than that.

Any word on when they will have production up and running?

Widget

JBLnsince1959
09-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Let's see if I have this correctly...

1. JBL has designed some new speakers...
2. They are displayed on their web site
3. No one ( even JBL) knows what price they will be....
4. There are none available to be heard....
5. No one to talk to at JBL consumer about them
6. JBL doesn't even know what dealers they will be at...
7. production date is unknown......

sounds like business as usual :blink:

pelly3s
09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
hell i work at a JBL dealer and service center and i cant even get someone down at harman consumer who has a brain. they also want a lot more money for certian parts than JBL pro i found that a little odd.

the project array boxes do look interesting. i would like to see some graphs and reports to see how they perform

Titanium Dome
09-06-2005, 09:33 PM
There's those dang horns again!

Oh well, I wouldn't kick it out on a cold, silent night. :p

Mr. Widget
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Let's see if I have this correctly...

sounds like business as usual :blink:

Don't be daft... the only reason we even know about them is because we are a bunch of JBL groupies and follow this stuff way too closely.

Give them a few minutes to finalize the press releases and get the dealers psyched to sell them.

Widget

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Don't be daft... the only reason we even know about them is because we are a bunch of JBL groupies and follow this stuff way too closely.

Give them a few minutes to finalize the press releases and get the dealers psyched to sell them.

Widget

Just teasing of course, I'm sure that once they get it all together then we will be able to find a dealer to listen to the speakers and buy from as easily as we did with the Performance Series. ;)

Seriously tho, Something I've wondered about.. I ( and others) bought our Performance Series from a dealer who had them on display in the L.A. area. Which has made me wonder why Dome had to look all over the country for them. How is it that no one at JBL could tell him about the dealer we bought from?

Maron Horonzakz
09-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Thats because JBL consumer is managed by FEMA

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Thats because JBL consumer is managed by FEMA

:rotfl:

Well that explains a lot. Now I understand... :D

Titanium Dome
09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Just teasing of course, I'm sure that once they get it all together then we will be able to find a dealer to listen to the speakers and buy from as easily as we did with the Performance Series. ;)

Seriously tho, Something I've wondered about.. I ( and others) bought our Performance Series from a dealer who had them on display in the L.A. area. Which has made me wonder why Dome had to look all over the country for them. How is it that no one at JBL could tell him about the dealer we bought from?

Not only that, the dealer in question has four or five locations in SoCal. I'd have never heard of the dealer except for you.

Titanium Dome
09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
They show up in the new Web site, though--all five locations, including San Diego.

I searched under Where To Buy for the Performance Series.

http://www.jbl.com/home/where_to_buy/international_where_to_buy.aspx

Enter a SoCal Zip code (like 90210) and select Performance Series, and there they are!

Mr. Widget
09-07-2005, 09:15 AM
I guess you are right it is a bit like FEMA... they get around to it eventually... on that topic, if JBL offers Michael Brown a job after he is fired we'll know how bad their management really is.:(

Seriously, I do think this is a classic example of what is wrong with BIG business... despite what the corporate chiefs that run our country believe, as these companies grow to be giant collossi they do loose some of the whole picture... hmmm maybe like combining 22 government agencies into the Department of Homeland Security.:banghead:

Widget

Mr. Widget
09-07-2005, 09:18 AM
They show up in the new Web site, though--all five locations, including San Diego.

Enter a SoCal Zip code (like 90210) and select Performance Series, and there they are!

I just entered my SF zip and got several LA locations, San Diego, and Arizona... I guess they aren't venturing north of LA County... I was searching for all music speakers.:(

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
09-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Like the company I retired from..The director was more interested in empire building his own division than serving his clients.

edgewound
09-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Like the company I retired from..The director was more interested in empire building his own division than serving his clients.

I introduced myself to Dr. Sydney Harman at the CES Show about 8 or 9 years ago when he happened to be on the show floor...I couldn't have gotten a more aloof, disinterested, greeting from him....limp handshake, cold look. I guess I was bothering him after I said what a fan I was of JBL....and a Service Center. He gave me the feeling I was a peasant and he was doing me a grand favor by even acknowledging my existence. My attitude changed about JBL Consumer from that day forward. He doesn't give a rat's ass about the dealers, sercice centers...or the customer...and neither does his daughter, Gina. He's purely shareholder driven. I was surprised at his personal demeanor considering his entreprenurial beginnings.

mikebake
09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I know we need some honest, healthy discourse on here, but I suggest we attenuate the biting of the hand that still feeds us things.:cool:

paragon
09-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Ian !!:D Im so exited !! and i just can hi....

edgewound
09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I know we need some honest, healthy discourse on here, but I suggest we attenuate the biting of the hand that still feeds us things.:cool:

Well....consider the postings a customer satisfaction survey. Some companies actually want to know how they stand with the people that make them rich...or quit making them rich;). Dr. Harman's a public figure....he can take it.

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 12:46 PM

GREAT!!! :applaud: that's what we need BIG TIME. When I did a search some time ago, all that came up was Best Buy. Maybe our bitching and hair pulling on the forum has paid off a little ( hey, we can dream can't we?)

Now maybe they'll go and makeup ( or offer really good deals) with some dealers and make these available in more stores.

While I'm not real big on the vintage stuff ( been there - done that) except for a piece or two now and then, I still love the company and think they have the best minds and know how. I like to try out the new stuff more than the old and that's why I get frustrated, you can't find it anywhere.

Well....consider the postings a customer satisfaction survey. Some companies actually want to know how they stand with the people that make them rich...or quit making them rich;).

I agree, as long as it doesn't become name calling..

edgewound
09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Maybe our bitching and hair pulling on the forum has paid off a little ( hey, we can dream can't we?)

That's the spirit...it's too bad that the company has to see pissed off customers to act....hmmm....sounds like current events.

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I introduced myself to Dr. Sydney Harman at the CES Show about 8 or 9 years ago when he happened to be on the show floor...I couldn't have gotten a more aloof, disinterested, greeting from him....limp handshake, cold look. I guess I was bothering him after I said what a fan I was of JBL....and a Service Center. He gave me the feeling I was a peasant and he was doing me a grand favor by even acknowledging my existence. My attitude changed about JBL Consumer from that day forward. He doesn't give a rat's ass about the dealers, sercice centers...or the customer...and neither does his daughter, Gina. He's purely shareholder driven. I was surprised at his personal demeanor considering his entreprenurial beginnings.I go to the AES show in Manhattan! Every time JBL has a booth with a static display! You ask the reps to hear the latest showings they have on the floor, they tell you its not hooked up! Their attitude is always like " Oh well" ! :dont-know I dont understand why they run JBL the way they do these days!

All the other companies have functional displays!

I do know that JBL products could and should be represented in a more positive and human way!

OTOH, Harman has grown so big, and owns so many brand names that do sell a ton of product, that maybe it doesnt really matter what people think of JBL, or what they purchase!

Of course, I am happy to see a speaker with high end consumers in mind! JBL needs to have, at least in my opinion, a product that mops the floor with the other leading brands products! If for nothing more than to show they can!

?

edgewound
09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Not only that, the dealer in question has four or five locations in SoCal. I'd have never heard of the dealer except for you.

...and that dealer only has the Northridge Series on display. I called the one with a phone number...Sing Young Music...Cosmos Digital has NO JBL on display.

In other words...there are NO dealers in So Cal with a representation of JBL on display...call the dealers listed on the website. I called one dealer and the gal on the phone said they don't sell components "unless you spend like a gazillion dollars for a complete custom system"...yes that's a quote:blink: . Anybody see a problem here with our beloved JBL? I can't even go listen to them anywhere...how am I supposed to audition them before I plunk down my hard earned money?

Titanium Dome
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
for example, the Studio L Series

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=SLS

or the Cinemavision stuff (I know it's been around a little while)

http://www.jblcinemavision.com/

The JBL line up is as deep as I've seen it in the last decade.

That can only be good news, IMO. :applaud:

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
...and that dealer only has the Northridge Series on display. I called the one with a phone number...Sing Young Music...Cosmos Digital has NO JBL on display.

In other words...there are NO dealers in So Cal with a representation of JBL on display...call the dealers listed on the website. I called one dealer and the gal on the phone said they don't sell components "unless you spend like a gazillion dollars for a complete custom system"...yes that's a quote:blink: . Anybody see a problem here with our beloved JBL?Thats the song of the 21st century! No one wants to sell components anymore, they want to sell complete systems!

I even called a local pro audio shop in NY to see if they had rack screws, and was told, "O, Im sorry, we only provide those in complete installs, we dont sell them as an individual product " ! :wtf: So I ordered a bag of 100 rack screws from Parts Express, it was delivered 2 days later, and I didnt have to shlep through Manhattan traffic!

Titanium Dome
09-07-2005, 01:53 PM

In other words...there are NO dealers in So Cal with a representation of JBL on display...call the dealers listed on the website. I called one dealer and the gal on the phone said they don't sell components "unless you spend like a gazillion dollars for a complete custom system"...yes that's a quote:blink: . Anybody see a problem here with our beloved JBL? I can't even go listen to them anywhere...how am I supposed to audition them before I plunk down my hard earned money?

Okay, I'm going to go to the store in San Gabriel when I go to one of my warehouse/offices up near Alhambra. I was told by a reliable source that I might at least find some TiKs set up there. I'll report back.

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Sing Young Music did have the Performance Series on the floor but no more. That's why some of us got our PS speakers so cheaply, they were clearing them out.

I was talking to one dealer and asked about JBL and they said that JBL told the dealer they had to have a special room costing over 25 to 30 K just to show the stuff.

Seems that JBL is only marketing to the masses at Best Buy and the Life Styles of the Rich and Famous -nothing in between.

JBL needs to have, at least in my opinion, a product that mops the floor with the other leading brands products! If for nothing more than to show they can!

?

and they could, with GT and the other minds there they could big time.

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
and they could, with GT and the other minds there they could big time.Im sure that guys like GT among others would love nothing better than to do exactly that!

edgewound
09-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Okay, I'm going to go to the store in San Gabriel when I go to one of my warehouse/offices up near Alhambra. I was told by a reliable source that I might at least find some TiKs set up there. I'll report back.

Hi Ti D...

I called them...San Gabriel...only Northridge on display.

Maybe we should all get together and open a JBL Super Boutique and take over the marketing of JBL Consumer...or set-up Factory brick and mortar stores like Bose does...oops just gave JBL Consumer a great idea. Do ya think they're lurking in here?

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Im sure that guys like GT among others would love nothing better than to do exactly that!

of course the whole point for a company like JBL is to make money and I'm sure they've given a lot of thought as to what to make.

2 channel is out more and more each day and HT is in.

somehow pleasing a bunch of old JBL groupies on this forum may not be part of their plans. :D

but you have to wonder what's in the back of GT's mind. He really had to push to get the 250's to production from what I understand.

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
of course the whole point for a company like JBL is to make money and I'm sure they've given a lot of thought as to what to make.

somehow pleasing a bunch of old JBL groupies on this forum may not be part of their plans. :D

but you have to wonder what's in the back of GT's mind. He really had to push to get the 250's to production from what I understand.Great point! But if 2 channel is so out more and more each day, why is there so much outrageously high end, and expensive 2 channel gear made today?

Read Stereophile magazine, I mean there is more esoteric 2 channel gear available now, then there was in the days when 2 channel was really it!

Then you have speaker manufacturers like B & W and Wilson Audio making house priced speakers, in the most elegantly made cabinetry as well!

They say there is no market, but they make alot of stuff for a dying market, dontcha think?

The vinyl record did in fact die, so now there are more turntables and arms and cartridges available today then there was 20 years ago, to satisfy this "dead" market!

:dont-know

edgewound
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM

but you have to wonder what's in the back of GT's mind. He really had to push to get the 250's to production from what I understand.

I have a feeling the MBA marketing geniuses are milking the China connection while the profits are still obscene. But those MBA's should go back a couple decades and learn some long-term lessons from the american auto industry...but what am I thinking? The MBA's job is to look for a higher paying job after padding his resume with the current job...not customer satisfaction.

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Great point! But if 2 channel is so out more and more each day, why is there so much outrageously high end, and expensive 2 channel gear made today?

Read Stereophile magazine, I mean there is more esoteric 2 channel gear available now, then there was in the days when 2 channel was really it!

Then you have speaker manufacturers like B & W and Wilson Audio making house priced speakers, in the most elegantly made cabinetry as well!

They say there is no market, but they make alot of stuff for a dying market, dontcha think?

The vinyl record did in fact die, so now there are more turntables and arms and cartridges available today then there was 20 years ago, to satisfy this "dead" market!

:dont-know

yes, the Stereophile group is still alive.........

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Seriously, I go shopping for brand new vinyl every couple of weeks! Dance music still needs the vinyl sound!

But I run into young people who never knew the power of vinyl and analog audio, until they heard it, and didnt understand why this old, obsolete stuff sounded better than what they grew up on!

Now these kids seek out vintage items on Ebay, such as amps and speakers and turntables, etc! But my point is they have become aware! These young people may not be earning $250,000 a yr right now, but many of these kids are in school, and are possibly our future doctors, lawyers, mega buisinesspeople, politicians etc! They buy cheap now, but what will they spend when they have the means to do so? They will buy what they love, if they can afford it, so there is a market, afterall!

And If the auto industry is any indication, just as they purchase high priced luxury or sport cars when they can afford, so too, will they purchase what they consider amazing sounding audio for their homes when they have the means to do so!

My opinion!

edgewound
09-07-2005, 02:58 PM
yes, the Stereophile group is still alive.........

Yes...and I don't think there are many things in life more serene than dimming the lights, enjoying a nice glass of wine, sitting back and absolutely getting lost for a while in great music played back on a fine stereo system...is there?:) "Theater of the Mind" as Jim Ladd calls it.

Isn't that what we love here?

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Yes...and I don't think there are many things in life more serene than dimming the lights, enjoying a nice glass of wine, sitting back and absolutely getting lost for a while in great music played back on a fine stereo system...is there?:) "Theater of the Mind" as Jim Ladd calls it.

Isn't that what we love here?A few drinks, dim lighting, Marvin Gaye comes on, next thing you know you have her bent over the couch..... Ooops, wrong forum, sorry! :o:

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 03:13 PM
A few drinks, dim lighting, Marvin Gaye comes on, next thing you know you have her bent over the couch..... Ooops, wrong forum, sorry! :o:A " MINT " pair of JBL L-300,s can actually make this exact thing happen!

Now watch the Ebay prices of L-300,s shoot through the roof. :D

Mr. Widget
09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I go to the AES show in Manhattan! Every time JBL has a booth with a static display!
Last October the AES Convention was held here in SF and they had a listening room off the main floor where you could demo the full line of LSRs and LSR subwoofers that were set up with a mixing desk. They sounded pretty good too!

Seems that JBL is only marketing to the masses at Best Buy and the Life Styles of the Rich and Famous -nothing in between.
I guess marketing folks at JBL aren't so dumb after all... our current economic reality is such that the two extremes are the growth areas.... the middle is shrinking.:(

Widget

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
But that was in SF! What about us, here in NY? We like California sound, too!

:bouncy:

edgewound
09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
A few drinks, dim lighting, Marvin Gaye comes on, next thing you know you have her bent over the couch..... Ooops, wrong forum, sorry! :o:

I was trying to be sincere Scotty....but...I like your idea too:p

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I was trying to be sincere Scotty....but...I like your idea too:pIt IS sincere! It does happen this way! I like my idea, too! Thats why Ive done it! Nothing like Marvin singing "Lets get it On" and a little Hennesy, and.........

DRG
09-07-2005, 03:41 PM
The first production run for the new Project Array Series will be in early October. The quantities will be very small at first. The intended audience will be Europe and the U.S. through the Synthesis distribution chain. They will initially be special order for HT customers. There will be two finishes. One is black gloss over a zebra wood grain and the other is a dark brown/red over mahogany.

Tentative MSRP schedule:

1400 Array - $5,500 each
1000 Array - $4,000 each
800 Array - $3,000 each
880 Array - $3,000 each
1500 Array - $3,500 each

Pre-production information provided for the Lansing Heritage Site courtesy of James B. Lansing Sound, Incorporated

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 03:46 PM
The first production run for the new Project Array Series will be in early October. The quantities will be very small at first. The intended audience will be Europe and the U.S. through the Synthesis distribution chain. They will initially be special order for HT customers.

Tentative MSRP schedule:

1400 Array - $5,500 each
1000 Array - $4,000 each
800 Array - $3,000 each
880 Array - $3,000 each
1500 Array - $3,500 eachSounds good! Some availability is cool!

Pricing is in line with current pricing from other manufacturers, like B & W!

I did have a good summer, maybe I do need a new pair of speakers for the living room afterall!

:idea:

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 03:50 PM
The first production run for the new Project Array Series will be in early October. The quantities will be very small at first. The intended audience will be Europe and the U.S. through the Synthesis distribution chain. They will initially be special order for HT customers. There will be two finishes. One is black gloss over a zebra wood grain and the other is a dark brown/red over mahogany.

Tentative MSRP schedule:

1400 Array - $5,500 each
1000 Array - $4,000 each
800 Array - $3,000 each
880 Array - $3,000 each
1500 Array - $3,500 eachWhat do you mean, initially it will be a special order for HT customers? You mean If I dont buy an HT system, I cant buy these?

Titanium Dome
09-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Tentative MSRP schedule:

1400 Array - $5,500 each
1000 Array - $4,000 each
800 Array - $3,000 each
880 Array - $3,000 each
1500 Array - $3,500 each

If they have the sound, I've got the money. (Well, after I unload some other JBLs.) :o:

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 04:44 PM

Tentative MSRP schedule:

1400 Array - $5,500 each
1000 Array - $4,000 each
800 Array - $3,000 each
880 Array - $3,000 each
1500 Array - $3,500 each

Pre-production information provided for the Lansing Heritage Site courtesy of James B. Lansing Sound, IncorporatedIll seek out a synthesis dealer in the NY area! If they are good, they are good. I want new speakers for home!

Mr. Widget
09-07-2005, 04:52 PM
That is exciting! Any idea when they will be available?

Widget

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
First production run in early October, the JBL man said!

Mr. Widget
09-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Ooops so quick to get to the prices I skipped right over that.:o:

Widget

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey Dome...thanks for the links...I really like the looks of the new studio L speakers. Looks like an upgrade of the previous studio speakers. didn't see a price but maybe in the same price line?

too bad they didn't have an upgrade of the 3way 12" or or 4way 12"

be interesting to see the standard GT 4 way with the Ultrahigh-Frequency Driver. Maybe someday I can buy the Ultrahigh-Frequency Drivers and put them in my 312's

HEY JBL WEB designers.....HERE"S a hint..make the pictures a link to the description page also...better yet make the the picture and description one big link to the description page. that would be a lot easier than trying to find the tiny little link in the speaker name....I had to hunt for awhile for the hot spot, at first I thought it was a static page. Just a suggestion.

thanks for the info on the project array = great work

Titanium Dome
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Tentative MSRP schedule:

1400 Array - $5,500 each
1000 Array - $4,000 each
800 Array - $3,000 each
880 Array - $3,000 each
1500 Array - $3,500 each

Pre-production information provided for the Lansing Heritage Site courtesy of James B. Lansing Sound, Incorporated

We really appreciate the heads up info on this. I'm excited, the forum's excited, JBL's excited...woo-hoo! :homer:

Now, can we set up an audition? I'll drive up to Northridge, picking up members along the way. I'll also pick up Korean BBQ, some Soju, and the funkiest darn kimchee you've ever had. Or, if you like, sashimi, edamame, rice, and Asahi with some Miso soup. Pizza and Bud Lite? Spaghetti and red wine? Vegetarian fajitas, black beans, and Corona? Fatburgers, fries, and Cokes? What'll it take?

We'll word-of-mouth these things into evey forum, blog, bulletin board, chat room and Web site in the AV world. I've seen some of these guys posting in the most diverse places all over the world. So, whaddya say? Huh? Huh? :bouncy:

JBLnsince1959
09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
the funkiest darn kimchee you've ever had

Hmmmmmmmmmmm :homer: kimchee

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm :homer: kimcheeIm bringing bagels from Brooklyn! And cream cheese and Nova from Zabars!

Brooklyn bagels CANNOT be beat, same for NY pizza!

:cheers:

sfellini
09-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Brooklyn bagels CANNOT be beat, same for NY pizza!

Couldn't agree more... (I grew up in NJ)...

In DC, bagels & pizza ... :barf::barf::barf:

edgewound
09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Obviously....Harman is listening in here, because Techbot has placed a white paper of Project Array Series....today. Maybe the Company will take some cues from us about the distribution channel/ dealer issues....or lack there of. I think they've killed off the dealer network:(

scott fitlin
09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Obviously....Harman is listening in here, because Techbot has placed a white paper of Project Array Series....today. Maybe the Company will take some cues from us about the distribution channel/ dealer issues....or lack there of. I think they've killed off the dealer network:(I just read the white papaer! Interesting reading. I like what JBL is saying, I want to hear the speakers that bring " Pro Sound Home " !

Hearing is believing, but I read some points mentioned that strikes my fancy! They mention they have paid careful attention to the cone material, and all associated parts, im thinking maybe they have something really good for us, which I feel we need and deserve to have! That UHF unit looks good.

The only thing they say that I dont agree with is that traditionally horn systems tended to sound closed in, while the best direct radiators sound three dimensional! To me, it was always the other way round, but, whatever.

Need to hear them. :D

JBLnsince1959
09-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Couldn't agree more... (I grew up in NJ)...

In DC, bagels & pizza ... :barf::barf::barf:

10-4, I grewup in Frederick MD and DC and spent alot of time in NYC, love that pizza.

In fact it was outside Frederick MD along Highway 15 towards Thurmont that I first started riding long distance. ( Opps, way off track here :D )

we've got some great BBQ I could bring.. :applaud:

I would really like to thank DRG and guys ( and gals) at JBL for taking the time to place the information on the forum.

Thomas Mygind
09-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Obviously....Harman is listening in here, because Techbot has placed a white paper of Project Array Series....today. Maybe the Company will take some cues from us about the distribution channel/ dealer issues....or lack there of. I think they've killed off the dealer network:(

Where is that whitepaper located ?

thanks

scott fitlin
09-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Where is that whitepaper located ?

thankshttp://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7113

Valentin
09-08-2005, 11:16 AM
seem that there is an new driver used for the 1500array sub it is the driver used in the japan model HB5000 witch was under development and it is supposed to be grate may be Giskard can talk about it knowi wonder if it will have RMC like LSR sub or that time 3 like in the Revel Sub

johnaec
09-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Is there possibly a typo re: the 8" driver descriptions at the JBL site? The descriptions all say the 8" drivers have 4" voice coils! 'Anyone know for sure?

John

Zilch
09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Heh.

All we need is a little tweeter horn for 2407.... :p

JBLnsince1959
09-08-2005, 12:40 PM
If they have the sound, I've got the money. (Well, after I unload some other JBLs.) :o:

Like your performance series ? :blink:

I quess now that you've bought the 4430's you've realized that you should be into horns.:rotfl:

Titanium Dome
09-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Like your performance series ? :blink:

I quess now that you've bought the 4430's you've realized that you should be into horns.:rotfl:

I'd get rid of the 4430s first. Despite all the market speak and the technical advantages indicated in the Array Series White Paper, I still prefer the direct radiator approach.

I'll comment more on my 4430 experience in another thread, but at this point I'll only trade horns for horns. The L100s, L5s, L7s, and Performance Series (especially that!) are safe for now.

Lancer
09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
I guess I'm wondering why you guys insist on comparing the 4430 with the Performance Series....

Stop it dammit! :banghead:

I'll be real blunt. One has to have a representative pair of horn based JBL's whether they be Hartsfields, Everests, 4331's, S7's, K2's, L300's, 4430's, L200t3's, etc., etc., etc. One also has to have a representative pair of the JBL direct radiator systems whether they be L26's, L40's, L150A's, 250Ti's, PT800's, etc., etc., etc.

Ian Mackenzie
09-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah well these habe aquaplas coated diapgragms..thát's all I care about right now!

Ian

Lancer
09-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Coat everything with aquaplas.

It's the only way to be sure... :p

JBLnsince1959
09-08-2005, 01:54 PM
I'll be real blunt. .

Well...... that would be a first wouldn't it? :D

Titanium Dome
09-08-2005, 04:31 PM
I guess I'm wondering why you guys insist on comparing the 4430 with the Performance Series....

Stop it dammit! :banghead:

I'll be real blunt. One has to have a representative pair of horn based JBL's whether they be Hartsfields, Everests, 4331's, S7's, K2's, L300's, 4430's, L200t3's, etc., etc., etc. One also has to have a representative pair of the JBL direct radiator systems whether they be L26's, L40's, L150A's, 250Ti's, PT800's, etc., etc., etc.

I thought I had some representative horns with the SVA1800s, but they're quite different from the 4430s. I'd trade them all for some Array Series, I suspect.

Maybe it's from my ill-fated days playing bass guitar, but I've always preferred direct radiators for home sound reproduction. The whole band thing might have soured me on horns for pleasurable purposes. :blink:

The real problem is I never get rid of any speakers. Admitting I have a problem is the first step.

edgewound
09-08-2005, 04:42 PM
The real problem is I never get rid of any speakers. Admitting I have a problem is the first step.

That's ok Ti D....we're here for ya buddy...at least you can admit it. Step 2: You must give your JBL's to me....I'm here to help:p

Titanium Dome
09-08-2005, 05:08 PM
That's ok Ti D....we're here for ya buddy...at least you can admit it. Step 2: You must give your JBL's to me....I'm here to help:p

Psych!

MJC
09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi guys, I was wondering about a week or two ago what was happening with the Array Series. Its been almost 2 years since they were shown at the '04 CES in Vegas. I just happened to go to the JBL site early this morning when I saw they'd redone the site.
But like was mentioned, JBL Consumer marketing and Fema are interchangeable. Maybe they could hire Alicia Silverstone, she was clueless too.

edgewound
09-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Psych!

Sure...local pickup is no problem at all...I can drive the 40 miles in afternoon traffic in about 7 or 8 hours:bouncy:

Miss Orchid
09-08-2005, 05:41 PM
But like was mentioned, JBL Consumer marketing and Fema are interchangeable. Maybe they could hire Alicia Silverstone, she was glueless too.

What does it mean when one is glueless?

scott fitlin
09-08-2005, 05:53 PM
But like was mentioned, JBL Consumer marketing and Fema are interchangeable. Maybe they could hire Alicia Silverstone, she was glueless too.

What does it mean when one is glueless?I think they meant " clueless "! Its a term we use here in the U.S. to describe someone or an orginization that has absolutely no idea of WTF they are doing!

I hope this helps! :D

edgewound
09-08-2005, 06:06 PM

What does it mean when one is glueless?

It simply means that they cannot stick to doing their job...it's a Western expression.

scott fitlin
09-08-2005, 06:10 PM
It simply means that they cannot stick to doing their job...it's a Western expression.I never heard that one! I, too, learn something new every day!

Thank you, Edgewound! :D

"Duke" Spinner
09-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Glueless ...

that definitely must be a SoCal expression, Scott ...

can't say i Ever heard that either ....

Miss Orchid
09-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Thank you. :)

MJC
09-08-2005, 07:43 PM
I think they meant " clueless "! Its a term we use here in the U.S. to describe someone or an orginization that has absolutely no idea of WTF they are doing!

I hope this helps! :D

That was a typo, I just changed it.
But, they really are, clueless, that is.
JBL has new really high end speakers, but almost no one can find them. Maybe their hiding them in Iraq, which would explain why troops are still there.
Or maybe they're still under water in N.O.
PS, Arrays, L series, where are you!