PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade tweeter in C70 Alpha I to 035TiA or not?

Henry Chris
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM
I have a pair of C70 Alpha I's, that I don't know much about, other than the fact that they sound wonderful and are in perfect working order. The technical manual for the S70 Alpha III (which seems to be identical to what's inside my C70's), lists the 035TiA as the current replacement high frequency driver.
Does anyone have any opinions on how switching the LE20-1 for the 035TiA would affect the sound, for better or for worse?
All the drivers in these speakers are working fine, I'm just wondering if upgrading to a more modern component is something that you knowledgeable people would recommend.
Thanks,
Chris

Zilch
09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
035Tia's are not very expensive. Buy a pair and give 'em a try....

GordonW
09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
If you did this, I'd suggest using the crossover network from the 4312C. With the 035Ti, you'd have virtually the exact same driver set as the 4312C... so the crossover made for them should work quite well...

Naturally, you will probably need to make some adjustments... some minor changes in component values, and such, due to the different baffle shape and cabinet volume/tuning of the C70/S70 system. But, I would think, with perserverence, that you could significantly exceed the performance of the stock 4312C. Much better bass alignment in the larger enclosures, should lead to better ("cleaner") sound, overall...

Regards,
Gordon.