PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions and Questions on LE-14Cs

toddalin
09-05-2005, 03:16 PM
A friend just gave me a pair of LE-14Cs with crossovers in the Apollo C51 cabinets. (The cabinets are beautiful with few flaws and the optional fret work). He has had them since the late '60s and the woofers (labled 16 ohm) have the white cones with the dark grey foam surrounds that are totally shot and half gone.

I am thinking of using these to replace my Cerwin Vega VS-100s currently serving front and rear surround duty (Yamaha RX-Z9). As such, I spent a couple hours today comparing them to the Vegas, and my mains. The mains (LCR) are 130A/LE175-HL91/075/N1200/N8000 in L200 cabinets (two ports).

It was instantly apparent that the LE14s were nowhere near as efficient as the Vegas (let alone the mains) with a difference of approximately 15-17 dBC (actually about 20 dBC on a professional Type 2 noise meter, but the Vegas were closer to the meter). Also, the 10" three-way Vegas have far more bass and lower midrange. The Yamaha reports the Vegas as "Large" when going through auto eq. Interesting that it reports the LCR as "Small."

On the spectrum analyzer (octave band), the LE14Cs have a deep notch centered around 500 Hz that extends about an octave in either direction. However, the LE14Cs were far more revealing of detail than the Vegas. They also had a far brighter top end (almost harsh), though they don't extend as high as the 075s.

When compared to the LCR, the LE14Cs actually show a similar, though more accentuated response curve. Unequalized, both frequency response curves resemble a two post suspension bridge (like the CISCO Logo), just that the LE14s show more "droop" between the "posts" (at the 500 Hz notch). The LCR had more droop than they currently do before I added an L-pad to the horn, which allows me to better tune the three drivers together.

My questions are:

How much bass response is actually lost by having virtually no surrounds to speak of? Certainly this represents a massive air leak, but then these are vented cabinets.

Ultimately, I would change the cabinets to make these into surround speakers that hang from the ceiling. How good were the Apollo cabinets for enhancing the bass response? Could this be part of the difference between the bass response of LE14Cs and the Vegas that are now about 10 years old? (I know different cabinets will not help the 500 Hz point and that Vega builds their reputation on bass.)

Finally, is there a general consensus on whether surround speakers should match the sound (response) of the mains (including their flaws), or be as linear as possible? The Yamaha does have a 1/3 octave eq with auto eq for the fronts and surrounds that would make them even a closer match.

Zilch
09-05-2005, 04:16 PM
You won't be able to compare anything until you replace the surrounds on the LE14-C's. It matters. You may be damaging the voice coils playing them with no surrounds. Stop.

The Apollos are probably not properly tuned for them, either. What's the port, just a rectangular hole, right?

We're going to need the interior dimensions/volume to advise on that part.

I'll check the tuning on 130A in L200, as well. It's the wrong woofer for that box. You using the stock ports in them?

Teal = 130A in stock L200 box
Orchid = BB6P suggested optimum "extended bass," smaller box
Red = BB6P suggested optimum "high fidelity," even smaller box

They're all about the same at 500 Hz, tho. I don't know where you're getting bass response from, and there should be no droop in the middle....

toddalin
09-05-2005, 05:28 PM
You won't be able to compare anything until you replace the surrounds on the LE14-C's. It matters.

What sort of difference might I expect?

The Apollos are probably not properly tuned for them, either. What's the port, just a rectangular hole, right?

Right. 5-1/2" x 3-1/2"

We're going to need the interior dimensions/volume to advise on that part.

20-1/2" x 20-1/2" x 12"

I'll check the tuning on 130A in L200, as well. It's the wrong woofer for that box. You using the stock ports in them?

I recognize that it is not the right box, but it is far closer to being right (with better response) than the old University trapazoids they were in. Yes, it has the two stock ports.

Teal = 130A in stock L200 box
Orchid = BB6P suggested optimum "extended bass," smaller box
Red = BB6P suggested optimum "high fidelity," even smaller box

They're all about the same at 500 Hz, tho.

Zilch
09-05-2005, 06:03 PM
LE14C will play beautifully in those Apollos with a single 4" diameter port 10" long. Make an adapter plate to cover the existing port with the duct in it. You'll have to carve the 3.5" dimension a bit to make it fit.

Here's the curve for LE14A; the coaxial LE14C should be very similar. They'll play better than your mains in some respects.

I want to be sure you saw in my earlier post that you should stop playing them until the surrounds are replaced. You may be damaging the voice coils. :o:

toddalin
09-06-2005, 10:45 AM
LE14C will play beautifully in those Apollos with a single 4" diameter port 10" long. Make an adapter plate to cover the existing port with the duct in it. You'll have to carve the 3.5" dimension a bit to make it fit.

Here's the curve for LE14A; the coaxial LE14C should be very similar. They'll play better than your mains in some respects.

I want to be sure you saw in my earlier post that you should stop playing them until the surrounds are replaced. You may be damaging the voice coils. :o:

Thanks.
If I replace the Vegas, the LE14Cs would be mounted in different cabinets. (I wouldn't hang the Apollos from the ceiling but was thinking of using some premanufactured "car cabinets" slightly enlarging the 12" hole to fit. Some of these are actually constructed with the desired angle for ceiling mount. Can you tell me the optimum size/port configuration would be for the LE14Cs?

No, I didn't see the post on not using the speakers and listened for a couple hours yesterday. No VC rubbing is apparant so I probably didn't do any harm. Good thing you let me know because today I was going to try the Yamaha autoeq to see what it does for the 500 Hz dip. The autoeq sends out LOUD, SHARP, FULL RANGE test tones that are really a torture test for any speaker system. Guess I won't do that now!

BTW, both woofers have a dcr of 5.6 ohms (still). One tweeter has a dcr of 4.1 ohms and the other is 4.3 ohms.

Any word on how I can better tune the L200 cabinets for the 130As?

Zilch
09-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Any word on how I can better tune the L200 cabinets for the 130As?Download WinISD for free (links in other threads) and start playing with this yourself. You'll want to see how LE14C's are going to perform in alternative boxes under consideration as well. That's the best way to get a handle on it....