PDA

View Full Version : Repairing my 122A's, DIY style

tesla
09-03-2005, 07:43 AM
I went to Orange County Speaker yesterday to pickup some refoam kits. This is the second time I've been there, I refoamed a pair of original advents about a year ago. Ever notice the speaker rebuilding company's always say it's ok to install the foam on the top of the cone, when it was installed originally on the bottom side? thats not the way *I* do it!

I've come to the conclusion that one of the spiders needs to be reset. I think that it should be easy, just slip a razor carefully around to seperate the spider from the frame, and as long as I don't cut it, I can then reset it. Last time I was there they gave me some brown glue, this time white glue, which I don't think is a good idea for regluing the spider. Any suggestions for glue for the spider? Oh, btw, I'm using material given to me by OCS to shim the formers, another thing that they said wouldn't be necessary.

Oh, and I had the magnets remagnetized.

Any critics out there? I am still in the planning stages, and want to do it right!

Gene

GordonW
09-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Either 3M or Locktite black automotive weatherstrip glue should work fine for reglueing the spider. Put a light coat on both surfaces... make sure the shims are in the voice coil correctly, and slide the assembly in the basket, so that the spider contacts the basket CORRECTLY, the first time. It's possible to reposition the stuff for a short while, but it's MUCH easier to just get it right the first time...

Alternatively, 30 minute epoxy will also work quite well. Saves the "gotta get it in one take" hassle... you can move it around a bit until the glue hardens. Gotta make sure that it's laying down flat, as it's curing, though... the epoxy doesn't have the "tack factor" of the weatherstrip glue (ie, it won't "hold down" the spider while the glue cures)...

Regards,
Gordon.