PDA

View Full Version : What.... Is.... THIS.... ?!?

carrington
09-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Anyone have any idea what I just bid on? Should have thought about this before I bid.... :blink: ?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:11&Item=5804085792

Anyway, if anyone knows I'd appreciate some input. Thought it was an amp at first but it seems like all the tubes are power supply tubes.

Thanks in advance guys,

Carrington

"Duke" Spinner
09-03-2005, 06:55 AM
looks Homebrewed ......

soundmotor
09-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Anyone have any idea what I just bid on? Should have thought about this before I bid.... :blink: ?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:11&Item=5804085792

Anyway, if anyone knows I'd appreciate some input. Thought it was an amp at first but it seems like all the tubes are power supply tubes.

Thanks in advance guys,

Carrington

It doesn't have an output transformer on it so I'd say a homebrew regulated supply.

bbrown
09-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Isn't the R-480-Q the output tranny?

soundmotor
09-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Isn't the R-480-Q the output tranny?

No, it is a power transformer @ 350VCT w/ various filament voltages. "R" is a power, "K" an input, & "S" an output and so on for the Peerless numbering scheme. The "Q" (or other letter) at the end denotes case style in this case, a can.

GordonW
09-04-2005, 10:03 AM
My off the cuff guess: a power supply for field-coil speakers?

Regards,
Gordon.

soundmotor
09-04-2005, 03:04 PM
My off the cuff guess: a power supply for field-coil speakers?

Regards,
Gordon.

I believe it is merely a variable DC supply.

richard c.
09-05-2005, 08:51 AM
I sent a note to the ebay seller telling him it was a power supply. The guy that buys that will be in for a surprise!:banghead:

A field coil power supply could / would be built with about 1/4 of the tube compliment, and only one power transformer. Solid-state would be much easier (as long as it was hidden - and never talked about!:)

This power supply could be cleaned up, and than put right out front showing the nice glow of the tubes (and nothing else). It would make a nice space heater this winter!

Richard C.

tomt
09-06-2005, 03:13 PM
i'd say the sheer amount of parts included are worth $138

richard c.
09-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Maybe, If you needed the parts??? - No I don't think so. $138 + S&H! It's not tested, and both power transformers could be burnt copper & iron.

I did send the ebay seller a message telling him it was a power supply. I got no reply - Big Surprise. This power supply was listed under "Stereo Amps". Maybe an honest mistake???

Carrington,
I just now noticed that you not only bid, but you won. Is there anything you can do about being misled? OR do you just chalk it up to experience?

I wonder how often something like this happens on ebay:biting:

Richard C.

duaneage
09-15-2005, 01:05 PM
The 6Y6G tubes are single ended 6 watt audio output tubes, I think there is more than meets the eye. whether it is worth 138 dollars as a 6 watt amplifier is another matter.

I think the heavy power supply section was for the fields of speakers. There is a slight chance that this is a historical piece, but only a slight chance

richard c.
09-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Even if this "chassis" has 6Y6's which could be used for a single ended audio amp, I think there would be better tubes to start a single ended project.

I like push-pull output like 6V6's (Class A1) which have 10 to 14 Watts @ less than 5% harmonic distortion. More modern output tubes will probably do even better.

I still love tube type power amps, I like to repair / restore them, and I have several. Like I have said before, they look cool with the blue glow pulsing to the beat, and they can heat a small room!:D

I prefer 6550's or KT88's, BUT this is only my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of this forum!

Richard C.

richard c.
09-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I was just wondering if you got it, and were able to check it out?

Richard C.

P.Warner
09-22-2005, 06:52 PM
You should be able to "reverse engineer" from the chassis.
The octal tubes/sockets look to be randomized.

richard c.
09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Yep, all it takes is a tube manual (or diagram from the web) to get the socket pin-out, then carefully draw the connections and components on a sheet of paper. You could even post a picture of your drawing, and we could tell you what it is.

Richard C.