PDA

View Full Version : Do 8 and 16 Ohm Speakers "Sound" the Same?

toddalin
09-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Assuming the same model and similar vintage, and that they are used with the correct crossover, with the exception of a small volume difference, do the 8 and 16 ohm speakers sound the same (i.e., same tonality and frequency curves).

I'm thinking of mixing 8 and 16 ohm speakers (specifically, LE-14Cs) for front and rear surrounds if they would have the same sound. Please don't mention reconing to change impedience as LE-14As are $443 and LE-14Hs are $548 EACH to recone. I don't even know that they can do the 14Cs. Refoams, are no problem though.

Earl K
09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Assuming the same model and similar vintage, and that they are used with the correct crossover, with the exception of a small volume difference, do the 8 and 16 ohm speakers sound the same (i.e., same tonality and frequency curves).

- I suspect the two impedance versions are actually the same impedance voice coil . JBL did change their impedance labelling convention/method in the early 1960s.

- I'd recommend measuring the DC impedance of those le14C drivers you have.
( If you don't have a DVM/Digital Volt Meter, then you should buy a cheap one )

- You should find that your le14 ( so called ) 8 ohm & 16 ohm voice coils have the same DCR (DC Resistance ).

Service Info from 1982 indicates ;
- A healthy le14a voice coil measured 5.9 to 7.1 ohms ( dcr )
- le14h = 5.7 to 6.9 ohms
- le14c = 6.7 to 8.3 ohms .

Either side of those ranges and the coil is suspect .

Service Info from 1976 indicates ;
- A healthy le14a voice coil measured 5.7 to 6.9 ohms ( dcr )
- ( no le14h yet existed )
- the older, le14c = 4.6 to 5.4 ohms .

Either side of those ranges and the coil is suspect or not original or of a different vintage .

- Yes, the two impedance versions will sound the same . And definately close enough if the coils are actually different vintage .

I'm thinking of mixing 8 and 16 ohm speakers (specifically, LE-14Cs) for front and rear surrounds if they would have the same sound. Please don't mention reconing to change impedience as LE-14As are $443 and LE-14Hs are $548 EACH to recone. I don't even know that they can do the 14Cs. Refoams, are no problem though.

- Well, you must not be North America if you are being quoted prices like that .
- A brand new le14h-3 purchased direct from Harman US is around $ $280. ( for a whole speaker, not just the recone ). Bargooon !

- If your le14Cs are working fine I would never think of reconing them. Plus I think that kit was discontinued .
:o:

toddalin
09-01-2005, 11:08 AM
-
- Well, you must not be North America if you are being quoted prices like that .
- A brand new le14h-3 purchased direct from Harman US is around $ $280. ( for a whole speaker, not just the recone ). Bargooon !

- If your le14Cs are working fine I would never think of reconing them. Plus I think that kit was discontinued .
:o:

Thanks.

Prices are from Orange County Speaker in So. Cal.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

Earl K
09-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Prices are from Orange County Speaker in So. Cal.
:homer: D'OH :homer:

:)

Zilch
09-01-2005, 11:54 AM
They're apparently having difficulty gettin' kits.

[Or think they have the last of 'em.... ;) ]

The answer to the basic question is: Yes, they sound the same, and in many vintage JBL cases, in fact ARE the same.... :p

boputnam
09-01-2005, 02:57 PM
- I'd recommend measuring the DC impedance of those le14C drivers you have. Bingo.

:applaud: