PDA

View Full Version : Sagging spider problem

ralphs99
08-31-2005, 06:02 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement spider for a 252G? Or failing that, how I can treat the existing spider to get it back in shape?

Thanks,
Ralph.

norealtalent
08-31-2005, 06:32 AM
I've tried treating spiders with no consistent, long term success. Yes, they can be stiffened up with various coatings but the consistency from one treatment to another lacks cohesion. I would look into two NEW spiders that are similar enough to be used in place of the stock ones. Yes, there would be differences from original performance but at least you would have a matched pair. For me, that's the important part. You can try [email protected] . Maybe he can get you something similar enough to work. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

edgewound
08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
it might be worth a try to shim the cone assy into place and apply a heat gun to the spider to try to shrink it....might work....might not. Just don't get too hot to burn it.

Zilch
08-31-2005, 12:05 PM
C4R252 - $162.00

edgewound
08-31-2005, 12:13 PM
it might be worth a try to shim the cone assy into place and apply a heat gun to the spider to try to shrink it....might work....might not. Just don't get too hot to burn it.

That's if you want to tinker....best just to recone it...with JBL kit of course.

ralphs99
09-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks for everyones input!

I can't justify a full recone. In Australia JBL parts are twice the price you guys in the states enjoy. The hardcore JBL fans hang out down under! You gotta be hardcore to suffer these prices. It's probably the same in the EU tho.
Anyway, I just can't throw away an otherwise perfect cone. That would be too much!
I'll have a go at replacing the spider. I like the challange. It's a lone driver so I don't have to worry about matching.
I spoke to a local crew that sell replacement parts for all sorts of drivers, including individual spiders. I'll check out their shop next week and choose something suitable.
I'll let the forum know how I get on.

Cheers,
Ralph.

ralphs99
10-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Just an update on my 252G spider problem.

A local Melbourne company called Speakerbits sold me a replacement spider. Not quite the same as the original, but close enough. Fs has gone up, but should come down a bit after running in. So I'm very happy at having the driver working.:)

Speakerbits sell all sorts of replacement parts for all manner of drivers. Surrounds, voice coils, spiders etc. They can also remagnetise compression drivers! A great resource for us Aussie experimenters.

Thanks to everyone who offered their input.

Ralph.