PDA

View Full Version : what is your favorite HF driver...why?

Akira
08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
this actually started from another thread
but, what is your favorite HF driver. my bias always leans towards compression loading, especially if the sonic result is a smooth airy texture. my vote goes to the slot. ribbon arrays excite the air but, i'm never sure of what i'm hearing. while they may be great for home listening, they are impossible to use in a monitoring situation. i have heard some low cost dome tweets that sound pretty good. i haven't heard the new beryilliums whose specs go into the stratasphere and would be interested in any comments. has anyone auditioned the new JBL superHF driver 045Be?

Zilch
08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Project May uses 045Be. Read up.

Me? 2404....

Akira
08-30-2005, 10:19 AM
read it all...doesn't tell me a thing, except the specs are in the stratasphere. numbers mean nothing. what the !!#%$*! does it sound like. the only thing that matters is the musical texture a driver imparts into the mix. in this regard the 2405 sounds like pure air...no spit, sparke or sizzle. the best reproduction of hi-hat, 21" rock ride (every drummer and engineer knows what that sounds like) guitar harmonics and breathy vocals.
i prefer the 2404 for P.A.

Robh3606
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
That's a tuff one. I look at the midrange and tweeters as single drivers in some instances. I think it's the combination of the two that makes or breaks the highs. Using a 1" compression driver I would have to say a 2405 up top brings out the best results. My favorite system still uses a 1" with a 2344 but the two driver combo on the right horn is cleaner and can give you excellent results. Almost a "super dome" where you get that upper range delicacy and air but with balls. Looking at domes the 093 and 046 combo in the XPL is great! Here I think you get all the delicacy in the domes again with balls. They can play loud and sound completely unstrained. The only place I think the compression driver may have them is the "edge" they have. I don't know if its the sensitivity/power handling or what but compression drivers are simply explosive with transient material. They also have the power to back it up where they don't sound thin or compressed.

Rob:)