Jakob
08-28-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi!

Take a look at this, and tell me what You think:
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/av800.htm

Regards: Jakob

Titanium Dome
08-28-2005, 12:56 PM
I always favored the MOSFET amps I've heard. All eleven of my current amps are MOSFET designs. (My four receivers are not.)

Over on AVS forums there's an ongoing (and pointless IMO) debate about whether or not one can "hear" an amp. At a certain practical level the obviousness of the answer is absurd, but on a theoretical level, the debate is really "Can one distinguish one amp from another?"

My answer is "Sometimes."

I'd love to hear this particular MOSFET design :bouncy: , because, despite some potential technical limitations, a well-designed MOSFET amp is music to my ears. Besides, ALL amps are subject to technical limitations, and however they might manifest themselves, the MOSFETs please me most. :yes:

duaneage
08-28-2005, 06:14 PM
I worked on an VSP labs power amp years ago for a friend. It had 12 FETs per channel. They wre Hitachi J49 and J50 FETs N-Channel types and teh performance was startling. THey were just rock solid, very quiet, and had very quick response. I sent square waves through the amp to test the switching and was amazed at how accurate the response. Upper limit was easily 50Khz and the slew rate was astounding.

aust-ted
08-31-2005, 02:03 AM
Hi

I currently use a Perreaux 6000B mosfet amp to drive my bass speakers in an actively xover'd system and it works well. However when I compared it to a tubed amp (PP EL34s) for use with my mid horns (2450/ 2380) it came off second best. A slight grainy character that some have described as mosfet mist. BTW the Perreaux easily beat the tubed amp driving the bass speakers (dual 2235s). Better dynamics.

Regards
Ted