PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys check this out!!

Robh3606
09-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Don and Jon is this the beast you saw at CES???

http://www.jbl.com/home/synthesis/productlist.asp?SerId=Syn8

Mr. Widget
09-03-2003, 01:28 PM
That is the system they had at the Home Entertainment Show (Formerly the Stereophile Show) in San Francisco earlier this summer.

It was big and loud. It has a bit more headroom in the bass region than my HT system with 4 18" 2242s? instead of my 4 2235s. To be fair my room is not as large as theirs, but in my admittedly biased opinion in my room vs their Ball Room demo mine is better sounding. I didn't pay $109K either.;)

I would expect and hope that it would be a bit better than my system if it were in my HT room. I don't expect to find out anytime soon though!:D

JonFairhurst
09-03-2003, 02:54 PM
That's the puppy.

The artillery consisted of
* [5] SK2-1000DG mains
* [4] SIS subs
* [1] SDP-40 controller
* [1?] SDEC2500A EQ
* [9] S800 amps (bridged)

I'm not sure if the controller includes x-overs, or if there was additional gear for that. Greg Timbers mentioned that you don't even have to high-pass the dual 10" woofers. Crank down the frequency knob and they just soak up the power and stop moving.

They played an Eric Clapton multi-channel video of an outdoor concert. It had to be beyond the actual 10th row SPLs. My first listen was without earplugs. The second time through (with Don & Co.) I grabbed the earplugs before my second foot was through the door!

Using this system for normal listening would be like driving your daily commute in a monster truck. It's really overkill!

But the K2 S9800 demo sure was nice :-)