PDA

View Full Version : L36 vs. L100

Ralphh
08-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Since I have never been able to listen to an L36 in the same room with an L100, I would like to know if anyone has compared these two classic loudspeakers.

spkrman57
08-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Is a 12" woofer vs the 10" in the L36, if I remember correctly that is.

Ron

Lancer
08-27-2005, 11:49 AM
While the L36 and L50 are nice 10-inch 3-ways, the pancake twelve with the 3-inch voice coil in the L100 gives it quite an advantage.

One should examine the schematics of the networks used in these systems, along with the driver complements, to become familiar with them.

clmrt
08-27-2005, 01:25 PM
I've had the L88 and L36 in the same position with the same gear. The 88's bass (123A-1, same driver as in the 100, probably the same tuned cab) was, well, overwhelming. Mids and highs were great. The L36 was more controlled and had as much headroom, non-scientifically speaking. There was a lack of coherent image and focus that was distracting with the 36. Still worth what they sell for, easily.

The L26 is better than either...MHO.

"Duke" Spinner
08-28-2005, 04:48 PM
i've had my
L-36 since new in '76 ...

what a well balanced speaker ....

Steelyfan
11-19-2005, 05:44 AM
I stumbled upon an (ended) listing on Ebay, 5827823430, look what this guy has to say, it is peptalk for its sale or is it correct ? I have a somewhat similar experience : lots of bass (but almost no mids to my experience, maybe due to age, and deterioration of glues)

his sales text " This auction is for a pair of JBL L36 Decade speakers. These are incredible reproducers! I have owned many different models of JBL including the L100, 4311 (same thing) 4312, and L80T. These have the same tweeters and similar mids as most of these but the difference is the depth of the cabinet and the tremendous 125A woofer! This 10" woofer goes below 30 KHz and crosses over at a higher frequency than the others therefore giving you increased bass including mid-bass performance. Yes, in these cabinets they outperform the others hands down! Speaker Services of Memphis( A famous and trusted repair facility) also agree with this assessment. The 125As foam surrounds have just been replaced and calibrated by them (No sloppy Do-it-yourself job here). The cabinets do have some minor nics and scratches but overall appearance is very good (see the accurate pictures). If you want the best bang for your buck and you truly love your music, then you deserve these! The GREAT JBL L36 Decade. " end of his sales text.

mrbluster
11-19-2005, 08:28 AM
As It happens, I have a pair of L36s that I have listed for sale locally. I had Just finished work on them No time for "real listening" (and too many speakers at the moment) So I set them up quickly in my living room. 25 watt NAD, cheap wires and a portable CD. OH-MY! What a surprise. In the worst possible environment they sounded just wonderful. Tuneful defined bass, dynamic and lively without being harsh. Yes, I have had L100's and currently have a very nice pair of L166s So I know what these series sound like. There may indeed be something legitimate to These claims regarding the L36s superiority.

Mrbluster

norealtalent
11-19-2005, 09:34 AM
I've had the L88 and L36 in the same position with the same gear. The 88's bass (123A-1, same driver as in the 100, probably the same tuned cab) was, well, overwhelming. Mids and highs were great. The L36 was more controlled and had as much headroom, non-scientifically speaking. There was a lack of coherent image and focus that was distracting with the 36. Still worth what they sell for, easily.

The L26 is better than either...MHO.

A couple weeks ago I got another pair of L40's going for a friend. He was replacing his L36's to have 4 L40's. The bottom end of the L40's walked ALL over the L36, nice upper mids and highs while they completely lost the lower mids and bottom. They might great for television but I can't imagine them ever being able to compete with an L100...:blink:

Lancer
11-19-2005, 09:52 AM
The L100 uses the more expensive pancake twelve while the L36 and L40 use the less expensive ten. Don, or someone, wrote a bit about the Decade series and how it was one of JBL's first uses of lower cost drivers.

Here's your matrix detailing the use of these original lower cost drivers. Regardless of their less expensive manufacturing costs compared with "traditionally built" JBL drivers, the 116, and 125/127 performed quite admirably.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4553

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4550

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4551

mrbluster
11-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I love quality as much as the next guy, but time and again I have been amazed at the beautiful sound coming from a cheap ugly box. Better components (drivers) dø not always equal better sound.