PDA

View Full Version : REALLY Huge Cabinets with JBL's Inside

RacerXtreme
08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Just brought my other pair of 210's home.

'Been at my buddy's shop for years.

Over the winter I'm gonna try to lay down some nice wood-grain veneer on just the horn section of the box. Eight JBL 2225's will be stuffed inside. Will update and stiffen the cabinets w/ all of Jim Dickenson's mods including cutting some special pieces to eliminate the parallel surfaces to get rid of standing waves. Think they'll look neat. JBL 2360/ (5 or 6 ?) horns will go on top, not sure which comp. drivers......
http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/A2vott.jpg

My neighbors are gonna love me..........

What you got in your garage for tunes?

c-ya

Guy

dancing-dave
08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I think we need to perform "listening tests" and various "experiments" in a "controlled environment" containing cold beverages and hot food in various amounts.

pelly3s
08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
those look like they could be fun. i have 4 EAW B-215's at my shop that I want to buy off my boss and use them at home. They are huge though and I dont have the room or the money to work on them right now. I know you would probably want to go with a JBL driver for the horn but you might want to look into the EV Nydm 6. Its a killer driver.

matsj
08-23-2005, 11:00 AM
:D :applaud: VERY nice i loved them, in what freqvensy do they play ?

regards mats

RacerXtreme
08-23-2005, 11:59 AM
I've found that the x-over frequency varies with program material. DVD's,
CD's or MP3's can all sound different, but I usually cross them over somewhere between 500 and 1000 Hz. Sometimes lower - down to 200Hz. It really depends on what I'm listening to and how it was recorded. I'm using a Rane AC23 electronic x-over and if I can get away with it, I will run the VOTT cabinets all the way up to 1000 Hz. If it sounds too overpowering then I will back it down accordingly. I guess the main thing I've learned is that there is no "correct" x-over frequency. It can and often does vary.

Defintely got a lot of work ahead of me this winter, but it should be fun. I spent years listening to the big 210's w/ eight of the original 515's in them and eight 288's on top into four 10 cell (1005B w/ Y-throats) horns that were tar filled, but when I'm done with the renovations and modifications they should sound way better than they ever have.

Hopefully.................

We'll see. :blink:

Turn it up !

c-ya

Guy

matsj
08-23-2005, 12:06 PM
How low i freqvensy do they play ? I really like the model.

mats

RacerXtreme
08-23-2005, 02:16 PM
This is what they look like when they are standing up - with the optional wings attached.
http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/VoiceoftheTheatre.jpg

Here's what the largest V.O.T.T. setup looked like. It's called an A1.

http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/A1X.jpg

I have four A4's or two A2's - depending on how you bolt them together -
all with the original wings. How low do they go ? I've got a copy of a response curve around here somewhere.... Not as low as you would expect them to, but not too bad in an A2 configuration. They are extremely efficient speakers. Their sensitivity @1 watt, 1 meter on axis below 500Hz is 108 db. The 288's on 1005B horns were something 116 db @1 watt, 1m....

If I'm correct, the large format V.O.T.T. speakers were the first major project Mr. James B. Lansing worked on when his company - The Lansing Manufacturing Co. - was taken over by All Technical Services, Inc. (which came to be known as Altec) back in the mid 1940's. Think Altec Lansing manufactured the 210's untill the late 80's or early 1990's without changing the cabinets much. They're not perfect and they have their flaws, but that's not a bad run for a particular speaker design.

The A4's are 6' 8.5" wide (with wings) and the A2's are 9' 5" wide (w/ wings).

If you lay them on their side and stack them, the low end response definitely improves.

Titanium Dome
08-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Back when I lived in MI, I had a nice 30'x48'x10' finished pole barn that woulda loved those.

Where are you going to keep them?

RacerXtreme
08-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Where did you live in Michigan ? I live about an hour North-East of Detroit.

Where am I gonna keep them? In my 20 x 40 foot garage. Just tore down (and sold) a 240 foot 4 lane 1/24th scale slotcar track I had in there so I've got the room.

I know it's excessive, but I'll bring them out once in a while for special occasions................. They are sooooooo heavy to move at times, but when they're standing up straight, I've got them on nice casters w/ reinforced stainless steel backing plates so they roll around easy.

c-ya

Guy

Titanium Dome
08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Where did you live in Michigan ? I live about an hour North-East of Detroit.

Where am I gonna keep them? In my 20 x 40 foot garage.

Guy

I was 20 miles west of K'zoo. So you're over in cat scratch fever country as I recall.

When upright, how tall are they? They might have stood up in my pole barn. My kids would have loved them for the high school parties* we had out there. They had to make do with some L100s and L7s, which really couldn't fill the barn to satisfactory SPL.

*Smoke free, booze free, drug free, sex free, fight free. Wait a minute: you call that a party? :dont-know

RacerXtreme
08-24-2005, 11:42 AM
That's funny that you refer to it that way................:applaud:

My sister is married to Ted. Saw him last nite at a new outdoor theater near him called Freedom Hill. Actually, it's technically called the Jerome Duncan Theater. Nice place. Great atmosphere. Think there were about 5000 people there. He's playing at Pine Knob tomorrow nite and usually draws about 12,000 - 14,000 people there. Something like that......

He played through a P.A. last night that had the strangest looking horns I've ever seen. Someone said they're new EV's, but don't know for sure. They were about 10" tall, maybe 2 or 2.5' wide, and silver in color. I'll try to get a picture of them up here. Sounded pretty impressive. Very crisp and clean.
Only used 10 or 11 of them per side and they CRANKED.

How tall are the VOTT cabinets ? 84" + 5" for casters = 89" tall w/o any horns on top. My kids are gonna be in high school in a few years and I'm sure we will be doing some dances or parties w/ them. They are huge when assembled with wings.

c-ya

Guy

Titanium Dome
08-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Been there many times, especially when I was going to college over in Spring Arbor. Saw Tower of Power, MC-5, and Iggy and the Stooges. :bouncy:

Saw the Nuge at Ella Sharp Park in Jackson, I think--can't remember much of that at all.

ericswan
08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
RacerXteme wrote:

He played through a P.A. last night that had the strangest looking horns I've ever seen. Someone said they're new EV's, but don't know for sure. They were about 10" tall, maybe 2 or 2.5' wide, and silver in color. I'll try to get a picture of them up here. Sounded pretty impressive. Very crisp and clean.
Only used 10 or 11 of them per side and they CRANKED.

It wasn't these (http://www.nexo-sa.com/asp/catalogue/catalogue.asp?linkid=279) was it?

pelly3s
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Mmmmmmm Nexo, the loudest and meanest speaker made. On the subject of Altec boxes I just scored a pair of A5's today they are beat to hell with no horns or drivers but you cant complain for free. its nothing a little sanding and paint isnt going to fix.

RacerXtreme
08-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey ericswan:

Yes, it was those. Had a chance to sit down w/ Ted's manager last nite and
talk about P.A stuff. The sound system he used at Pine Knob (now called DTE Energy Music Theater) yesterday BLEW away the one he used at Freedom Hill.

In retrospect, I guess I was more impressed w/ the amount of output from those
cabinets (considering how many of them there were), more-so than the quality of their sound. It is kind of hard to compare sound systems from one night to the other. They all sound good when the crowd is going wild......:blink:

I asked Doug (his manager) which P.A. he liked best and he said by far the ones that are from Showco.

Tired from last nite......and my ears are still ringing. There was around 13,000 people there and Ted was rockin'...........

The man can play guitar.

c-ya

Guy

RacerXtreme
08-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Stranglehold...http://www.mypages.iparenting.com/webs/racerxtreme/concert7.jpg