PDA

View Full Version : Altec 617-8A

dina0527
08-22-2005, 04:05 AM
Hi everybody,

I just got a pair of Altec Model#617-8A from my friend as a gift. I have tried searching the intenet and can not find something more about this speaker.
Do anyone out here know this speaker? Is it good to listen music?

Thanks...

Todd W. White
09-14-2005, 10:21 AM
The 617 was a hi-quality ceiling speaker.

If you are looking for a speaker to play music in a non-critical listening environment, such as in your home (but not as purist-type audiophile system), it will work fine.

VOLVOTECH
04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi everybody,

I just got a pair of Altec Model#617-8A from my friend as a gift. I have tried searching the intenet and can not find something more about this speaker.
Do anyone out here know this speaker? Is it good to listen music?

Thanks...

HELLO==DO YOU WANT TO SELL THESE???
THE 617-8A SPEAKER IS A CEILING SPEAKER.
IT HAS A BUILT IN CROSSOVER THAT CROSSES OVER AT 1500
CYCLES PER SECOND,WITH 12 DB OF ATTENUATION.
POWER HANDLING 60 WATTS AT 60HZ TO 15K-HZ.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO SELL THEM,PLEASE.
THANKS,HOWARD. [email protected]

hjames
04-30-2007, 03:52 AM
The ad was nearly 2 years old - they may not be around anymore ...

08-22-2005, 07:05 AM

HELLO==DO YOU WANT TO SELL THESE???

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO SELL THEM,PLEASE.
THANKS,HOWARD. [email protected]

Mr. Ed
12-12-2009, 05:09 PM
The first time I saw a 617 was in 1983 at Texas Sound in Houston, an Altec dealer that installed the system in the Super Dome. The term “ceiling speaker” is not really a fair assessment of the devise. It is a time aliened speaker and was used as a studio monitor.

The Altec 604 was a true studio monitor and the 605 was labeled a ceiling speaker. The difference between a 604 and a 605 was the 604 was tested to verify that it met the specs as a true studio monitor.
The cone and magnet was a 515B speaker with a hole in it with an 802 to 808 driver mounted on the rear.

The two were 180 degrees out of phase as compared to a 515B, 417 or other cone driver and an 802 to 808 driver on a 511 or 811 horn. This was because of the physical distance between the two drivers.

If you want to properly time alien two drivers to each other, place the horn on top of the low end cabinet loose. Run a tone through the amp at the desired crossover point. Place a mic five to ten feet from the cabinet depending on the size of the system, half way between the centers of the two drivers vertically. Run the mic into a mixer with a VU meter. With the amp at a comfortable level, move the horn back and forward towards the mic till the VU meter peaks. If the placement of the horn is to far out of place, try reversing the leads on the horn and repeat the drill. This may allow for better cabinet construction. And that is the time aliened point for those two drivers.

I have both 604, 605 and 617 speakers. The problem I have is the driver replacement for the 617s. I have thee with blown drivers. They do make great woofers. Back years ago you could buy the driver which was a hockey puck. I would like to find some.

I've said enough, good day.

old guy
12-12-2009, 07:58 PM
In the interest of accuracy...

The 617 wasn't "time aligned" and not a studio monitor.

The HF section is a phenolic diaphragm University T50. Not so great.

I have about half a dozen, and a pair of the 15" big brother. I am going to look at replacing the HF section...

They aren't a bad speaker, just not as nice as some...

BTW there are substantial construction differences between the 605 and 605, not just testing.

I may have some HF parts for the 617 if you need. They are no longer available.