PDA

View Full Version : LE5 mids

oznob
08-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Is there much of a sonic difference in the various LE5 mid-ranges, ceramic magnets. Specifically, I have a pair of 4311b's which have the LE5-10 mid. The drivers themselves are in OK shape. I have a pair of mint LE5-6's from a pair of L36 decades. Before I start swapping drivers, anyone know if there will be any appreciable difference in sound?
Thanks

Earl K
08-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi There

There's oodles of info in the following "LE5 Matrix" link. (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5706)

- It's full of great info .
- It'll answer your question in a much more authoritative manner ( than I can ) about all the possible ad hoc le5 substitutions.

:)

oznob
08-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi Earl,
Thanks so much for the information.
M :)

DavidF
08-22-2005, 10:22 AM
In a very general sense, the LE5-10/12 and the LE-9/11 are similar in the family of 5 inch mids. The response curves and impedance curves look similar in overall response. The coils in the 10/12 models are lighter and not as inductive so you would expect some differences in the response and impedance magnitude specs, and there are.

While not truly drop-in replacements in terms of electro-acoustic performance for each other, they are similar enough to often be recommended for replacement if replaced in pairs. I do not know the differences with the LE5-6 compared to the 10/12 to comment on the differences. I do believe they share the same recone kit which leads one to think they may be similar in response characteristics.

The 104H-2/3 differs significantly from the 10/12/09/11 in response characteristics and impedance and should not be considered a drop-in replacement. The cone treatment on these models seems to provide much less of the response rise typical in the 10/12-09/11 models. This treatment would also suggest some positive effect on the breakup modes at the upper limit of response but does also limit ultimate high end extension compared with the 10/12-09/11 models.

I expect the poly cone 104H may be different from all of the above but, again, I do not recall having seen any specs on this model to be able comment.

DavidF