PDA

View Full Version : L100 Grille Peg question

kworrilow
08-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Did all L100's use the plastic/nylon grille pegs, or did some early ones use wood dowels? (I've run across two pair of the original inline driver-style L100's with identical wood dowels for grille pegs; figured they were just cheap replacements but thought I'd check before I rip them out and replace with plastic.) Thanks.

standuffer
06-20-2014, 12:50 PM
My L100's (purchased 1971) came with wooden pegs to hold the grille frames on.

They never worked very well as the air movement through the bass port kept blowing off the grille frame until they were ruined by falling 3' to the concrete basement floor.

I did use some adhesive strips of Velcro (with limited success) to hold the frames on, until abandoning the frames completely after the foam deteriorated in the mid-late 80's.

I just purchased a "brand new, never used" set of frames with new replacement foam installed from Scott McCoy ([email protected]) of "sculpted-foam-innovations" e-pay (no affiliation). They were expensive but after ~30 years without them, I must admit, "Looking pretty Fine” :applaud:

Unfortunately, I’m again suffering from the wooden pegs and their original “gripping” issue. I’ll either look for some on e-pay (too expensive), make some new ones from wooden dowels, or go to some sort of grill attachment system from "Simply Speakers".

hjames
06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
These are the pegs I bought for my L-36s, my B-380 sub, and some other JBLs that use the peg style grills. They did NOT have wood pegs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Grill-Pegs-for-mounting-Grills-on-Vintage-Speakers-/261118618160?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3ccbe1ea30
They seem to be an exact match for the factory pegs.
Over the years I have seen eBay vendor sign--shop has sold them in black or white ... These are black.

My L100's (purchased 1971) came with wooden pegs to hold the grille frames on.

They never worked very well as the air movement through the bass port kept blowing off the grille frame until they were ruined by falling 3' to the concrete basement floor.

I did use some adhesive strips of Velcro (with limited success) to hold the frames on, until abandoning the frames completely after the foam deteriorated in the mid-late 80's.

I just purchased a "brand new, never used" set of frames with new replacement foam installed from Scott McCoy ([email protected]) of "sculpted-foam-innovations" e-pay (no affiliation). They were expensive but after ~30 years without them, I must admit, "Looking pretty Fine” :applaud:

Unfortunately, I’m again suffering from the wooden pegs and their original “gripping” issue. I’ll either look for some on e-pay (too expensive), make some new ones from wooden dowels, or go to some sort of grill attachment system from "Simply Speakers".