PDA

View Full Version : Crappy old car for free

Regis
08-20-2005, 10:12 AM
So who would want a piece of junk like this? It can't be worth much...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/zip/92211365.html

porschedpm
08-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Nice story. I'm sure whoever posted it is "yenkin" us, though.

scott fitlin
08-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Only in Cali I tell you!

Who gives away a `69 Chevelle with a 427?

Bet the guy who picked it up is happy tho!

:banghead:

Regis
08-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Nice story. I'm sure whoever posted it is "yenkin" us, though.

I thought so too, but the writer sounds like the little old lady who wants her garage remodeled and wants the car pulled out of the garage. She states "I cannot help you due to a health condition, therefore, bring a friend...". Pacific Palisades is an older, high income area by the beach here in SoCal, here in West Los Angeles. Still it might be, but how many guys would say "I'm tickled pink!"

A clone is selling for $65,000.... Wonder what the real thing is going for...

Mr. Widget
08-20-2005, 10:29 AM
When did Chevelles become so popular... There is a very clean one (it looks virtually new) that is frequently parked on my street with Radial TAs and original GM mag style wheels that I believe came on the Vette... (did Chevelles have the same wheels as an option?) have no idea which engine but it does have the "Cowl Induction" hood. A local fellow owns it, and I commented on it's excellent condition... he asked if I would take it off his hands... a V-8 are you nuts!

It is very cool in that retro sort of way... hmmm much like our speakers.:hmm:

Widget

Lancer
08-20-2005, 10:50 AM
A young man from UCLA called me 2 minutes after listing the ad, and picked it up just 1 hour ago.

Duh! No shit Sherlock!:applaud:

the sticker on the chrome thing in the center says 427

Yeah, I'll bet it does! :rotfl:

He should be able to clean it up and get forty grand for it I'd think.

http://www.yenko.net/dealers/yenko.htm

http://www.noneckschevelle.com/images/carpics/bob69yenkochevlle.htm

I don't care for the color but the acceleration is fun as hell.

Regis
08-20-2005, 11:04 AM
A clone is selling for $64,900!

http://www.best-carclassifieds.com/classiccarvehicleDetail-2144.htm

Lancer, you might like this color better. Note the special interior and badges...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/blewis166/redyenko/redyenko.html

Mr. Widget
08-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Does it have to be a '69 to be stupidly valuable? I have no idea what year the one down the street is, but it looks the same to me. If those are really going for that kind of money this one must be worth a fair amount to someone... unless '69 is the holy grail and the 1970 has the wrong chrome trim on it or something equally distinguishing...

Widget

Zilch
08-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Fine, but the garage conversion is illegal, most likely:

"All off-street parking spaces, carports, parking lots, parking garages and access drives required by this Chapter shall be dedicated to the parking of motor vehicles and kept available for parking for the duration of the use requiring the parking...."

Regis
08-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Mr. Widget,

Thought you were pulling our leg on that post! The reason why this Chevelle is so incredibly valuable is because it's a Yenko. Yenko Chevrolet was a dealership that you went to and ordered 'da special'. A very warmed over COPO (GM'ese for Corporate Office Production Order) car which meant that GM freaks like us JBL freaks here knew the killer production codes to specify on a car when they ordered it. Police Suspension, heavy duty cooling, Drag-Pak, etc, etc, plus the huge engine. Then Yenko applied custom graphics and even badges and a mild reworking on the interior.

Chevelle's are still highly sought after. Any year between 1964 and 1972 are desireable. 1970 was actually the peak (IMHO) in the styling, so if this guy is offering this car, hell I'd take it off've his hands. The wheels are factory Rally wheels (and yes, the Corvette had them too). The cowl induction was an option. Is this a SS (Super Sport)? Even if it's not, a clean Chevelle in the condition you describe is hotly sought after. If I were you, I'd jump on it, like I jumped on those 250 Ti's. Do a search and see for yourself.:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Chevrolet-Malibu-Chevelle-California-Car_W0QQitemZ4568640984QQcategoryZ6164QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Lancer
08-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Fine, but the garage conversion is illegal, most likely:Oh, you're in California... everything is illegal there... :rotfl:

Mr. Widget
08-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Hey what do I know about cars? I thought it had clean lines and looked fast.. as far as buying it.. we live in a city where parking is a real issue.. I see this car all the time as the owner and I are moving our cars around to avoid getting ticketed on street cleaning nights... I'm sure he'd love to sell it. Most of the time I wish I didn't have a car at all... they are a real pain in a city.

As for Yenko... I missed that bit, but I did think those stripes were ugly... what do I know.

Widget

scott fitlin
08-20-2005, 12:26 PM
How would you like to fill that tank with gas every day? $3.00 a gallon for premium here in NYC!

Chevelle = nice classic chevy, fun to look at, fun to floor the pedal, nice to sell, but curse all the way leaving the gas station! :D

Regis
08-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Scott,

The Yenko's were even worse, they only got 8 miles to the gallon!:eek: But the next stoplight didn't take long to get to!:D I'll not wax nostalgic here (ok, so maybe I'm lying), but I'm sure many of us have fond memories of these cars. I never got to own one, but many of my friends and my brother had some serious g-force machines. Oh well, my hobby now, is that I'm the 427! No gas needed here (except as a by-product...:p), But training and racing mountain bikes does have it's risks, like when I went off've a ten foot cliff and fell among the beach-ball sized boulders... And yes, I had to pedal another 17 miles to get back to the car, but who was feeling it? I was having a blast!

scott fitlin
08-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Man, 8 mpg, and those cars had bigger gas tanks than most of todays cars, what would it cost to fill, $50.00?

At 8 mpg I would be at the gas pump every morning! No can do! :no:

speakerdave
08-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I just read the post. It's definitely a jerk off (if that makes you feel any better).

Alex Lancaster
08-20-2005, 03:17 PM
:) Next ad: "Strange French car, Bugger Royalty, 3 speed, canīt drive it, pls come and get it" :p

Regis
08-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I just read the post. It's definitely a jerk off (if that makes you feel any better).

It could be... but it must be pretty friggin' well thought out... Good story anyway!

But you never know. The pair of 250 Ti LE's that had a garage sale sticker on them for $100...

speakerdave
08-20-2005, 03:33 PM
It could be... but it must be pretty friggin' well thought out... Good story anyway!

Nah. It's not even a good try.

John
08-20-2005, 03:33 PM
A clone is selling for $65,000.... Wonder what the real thing is going for...[/QUOTE]

Correction that is what they are trying to get for it, does not mean they will.
I am not a expert but I would bet that all the Yenko chevelles are accounted for by the guys that keep tabs on them as well. http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/blah.gif

My chevy suburban takes over $100.00 canadian to fill if it is on empty so you guys in the lower 48 got nothing to complain abouthttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif I am just lucky I get about 18 MPG on the highway,althought I only get about 3-5 MPG out of my sport boat, but hey the boating season is on the short side up herehttp://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown.gif

John
08-20-2005, 03:37 PM
But you never know. The pair of 250 Ti LE's that had a garage sale sticker on them for $100...[/QUOTE]

But the price kind of jumped up a bit by the time you got there:(

Regis
08-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok, SpeakerDave, I understand your being cynical, it's just that kind of world. But consider this (for you too John), I was watching a Discovery channel show the other night about a guy who lives here in SoCal who hunts down rare Ferrari's, Maserati's and the like.

We all know those marques make a Yenko Chevelle or Shelby GT-500 look like a commonplace car. Yet, this guy dug up a super rare 1954 Ferrari in somebody's garage in Palo Alto. He also found a Zagato designed, one-off aluminum Maserati that was in an Italian village. It was hidden behind a brick wall that somebody built across a room, so you couldn't see it unless you tore down the wall. The guy talked to the owners granddaughter or something like that and then poked around the village buildings till he found it. It was in pretty poor shape, but the car went for a pretty penny. There's also the famous "Butcher's Mercedes Benz"

http://www.brooklands.org.uk/Goodwood/g9801.htm

So some of us will continue to fantasize. Call me a fool, but boy, I like to drool! :p

Regis
08-20-2005, 04:03 PM
But you never know. The pair of 250 Ti LE's that had a garage sale sticker on them for $100...

But the price kind of jumped up a bit by the time you got there:([/QUOTE]

But it didn't jump too far, amigo! :D I made sure of that. Call it luck, persistence or whatever, but he accepted the offer and that made it a solid deal. I could've held him to a slighly lower price, but I didn't mind paying the extra small amount that I did...

speakerdave
08-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Ok, SpeakerDave, I understand your being cynical, it's just that kind of world.
Let me ask you a question, Regis. Do think it is possible you have let your good luck make you fatuous?

You can attribute to cynicism my not being gulled by that preposterous hoax if you like, but a person's language carries markers of gender, class, occupation, age and region, etc, and if there are ridiculous incongruities he is putting something on. The fact is I think you will see, if you think about it, "bejesuses" and "tickled pink" are two expressions that just will not be used by one person unless that person is trying to imagine himself being someone else. This is just one example of the many incongruities in that language sample.

This is not cynicism. I've studied language, its history and its contextual dimension known as pragmatic. I've been reading student writing at all levels from 7th grade to college for many years and I have developed a nose for bullshit and for someone trying to pass off someone else's language as his own. Sorry to disappoint you, Regis, but you're being had.

David

Regis
08-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Oh well, it was fun well it lasted. Thanks for your perspective on the subject, obviously an area you've studied well and I'll respect that (we've all got our talents). Anyhoo, the day is done and I'm outta here! Tommorow, going to race MTB, stomp some XC behind and have a good time! All of you have a rest of a great weekend! :D

speakerdave
08-20-2005, 05:36 PM
You too, and don't take any wooden nickels!

David

richard c.
08-20-2005, 06:50 PM
I think someone is laughing at "all" the people that know what a Yenco Chevelle is worth. What kind of a wife wouldn't know what she had in the garage??? Most "husbands" wouldn't want anybody touching that car, and "IF" she really lived with him - he would have told her how rare and valuable it was. Most women would get some good advice from a car guy before doing something stupid, like giving it away. I have had a few nice cars in the past and I currently drive a 2001 Mustang GT, Black coupe w/Bullet wheels, and a 5-speed that my wife can't drive - BUT she does know that it is a disirable car and not to give it away (25 MPG!).

This is a little bit like the wife who gets a call from her husband, who wants a divorce. He tells her to sell his expensive car, and send him 1/2 of the money. So, she sells it for $5.00, and sends him 1/2.

Richard C.

Oldmics
08-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Quote from the Widget

" we live in a city where parking is a real issue.. I see this car all the time as the owner and I are moving our cars around to avoid getting ticketed on street cleaning nights... I'm sure he'd love to sell it. "

Widget

Buy the damn thing and I"ll let you park it at my house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would look good next to my 56T-Bird and 1947 Jeep with the snow plow.

Seriously,I would stick my nose under the hood and see what that guy wants for the Chevelle.

Oldmics

edgewound
08-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey....I have a '56 'Bird in my garage too...for reals. Anything that is an authentic Yenko...Camaro or Chevelle will probably bring six figures....and a really nice example might fetch close to $300K. The Peterson Automotive Museum here in LA has had Yenko's on display...and recently had a black/black Plymouth Hemi-'Cuda convertible on display....I think it said one of thirteen factory made...worth over $300,000. Some people really suck....but why would anyone make up a fraud like this?

Oldmics
08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Quote from edgewound
"Hey....I have a '56 'Bird in my garage too"

Must be something common that happens from sniffin glue fumes :nutz: :nutz: :nutz:

Hey,Checkout this rare bird currently on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-Ford-Thunderbird-COLLECTORS-CONVERTIBLE_W0QQitemZ4569915032QQcategoryZ6240QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

Oldmics :drive:

edgewound
08-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Quote from edgewound
"Hey....I have a '56 'Bird in my garage too"

Must be something common that happens from sniffin glue fumes :nutz: :nutz: :nutz:

Hey,Checkout this rare bird currently on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-Ford-Thunderbird-COLLECTORS-CONVERTIBLE_W0QQitemZ4569915032QQcategoryZ6240QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

Oldmics :drive:

Wow...that '55 is something special. My '56 was a gift from my dad to my mom in 1962...I was 2 years old. It's like a member of the family. Mom passed in 1983, Dad in 2002...now it belongs to me and my brother and I have physical custody:applaud: . He bought a '57 Ranch Wagon quasi-resto-mod and we'll take both cars to cruise nights...lotsa fun. That T-Bird is part of my life...doubtful we'll sell it. It's such a peaceful space to drive it with the hardtop removed...doesn't get much better.

duaneage
08-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Saw one like this in Florida a few years ago

http://www.yenko.net/reunion/Price.JPG

It was pretty beat though. Had Yenko seats and gauges. Sweet sounding engine

Alex Lancaster
08-24-2005, 07:47 AM
:) They even fixed up Corvairs, wasnīt the turboed one the"stinger"?