PDA

View Full Version : Hal Cox?

oznob
08-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Does anyone know what ever happened to Hal Cox? I was digging around my attic and found some 2400 crossovers I purchased from him some time ago. I know he used to sell JBL related stuff but I haven't heard his name in a while. Hope he is OK as he seemed like a very nice fellow with a lot of Lansing related knowledge.

Regis
08-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I know his name has been mentioned here before and it wasn't long ago. Try a search and see what you come up with....

pbda
08-19-2005, 05:05 PM
There is at least one extensive thread on the board about Hal Cox.

oznob
08-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys, I will look again. :)

Audiobeer
08-19-2005, 09:23 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2540&highlight=hal+cox

johnhb
03-01-2007, 08:32 AM
I just spoke to Hal the other day. His phone number is (510) 236-XXXX.

What a treat it is to speak to him. Greatest first hand source of historical information about this great hobby.

Emergency edit:

Okay. I just called Hal and told him about the concerns for his privacy. He said he didn't care and was going to put his ad back in a magazine and would love to talk to people. But in the interest of modern paranoia I have set up an email: [email protected]. Send a request for his phone number with Hal Cox in the subject line and I will get you his number. My tech guru will be in San Francisco next week. I asked him to stop by and take Hal to lunch and to figure some way to make him accessible to his fans. Also if you send messages I will print them and send them up to him. Now how's that? Everyone happy and safe?

Mr. Widget
03-01-2007, 09:15 AM
ACKKK - NEVER post anyone's home number in an international public forum!!!!!!!!!!! PM's only!!!Absolutely.... though Hal had his home number in his ad in the back of Audio magazine for decades... I am not sure if he would still want it out there.

Widget

SUPERBEE
03-02-2007, 12:20 AM
I have a whole list of HAL COX stuff for sale. I posted this earlier. That guy is AMAZING.

Drew Daniels
08-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Hal is living at the Yountville VA home. He called me last week but was cut off and didn't leave a call back number. don't know if he has e-mail yet.

If you know how to reach him, please let him know I said happy birthday.

Doc Mark
08-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Hello, Drew!

I am assuming your are "our" Drew Daniels, of JBL fame!! If so, it's great to see you join the others from JBL that are currently, and who have been in the past, a part of this wonderful forum!! As you may have read in my post about Howard Durbin, most of us here really appreciate the fantastic work that has been done at JBL in the past, and continues to be done there in the newest TOTL JBL offerings! Your thoughts, memories, and comments "about things JBL", will most certainly be appreciated and valued here! Thanks, again, for your note, and I hope we see much more of you in the future. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (Mark)

Drew Daniels
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Happy to be part of the fun.

I finally talked to Hal -- he called back.
His mailing address is:

Mr. Joseph H. Cox, c/o
The Veterans Home of California, Yountville
McKinley Bldg., Ward 7
P.O. Box 1200
Yountville, CA 94599

BTW, he loves classical music and fine red wine, as always.
I'm fixing to send him some Murcury Living Presence re-issues and a pair of Sony 7506s for his birthday, which was 8/12.

-Drew ( http://drewdaniels.com )

JBL 4645
08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
What’s Hal’s specialty in the JBL field of expertise?

Drew Daniels
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Hal was one of the first JBL dealers in Califonia. He was close friends with Bill Thomas--even set up a vineyard for him. Hal's real expertise was sales, but he was good at organizing, set up San Francisco's FM radio start, and probably could write a great history of the audio business.

DavidF
08-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Happy to be part of the fun.

I finally talked to Hal -- he called back.
His mailing address is:

Mr. Joseph H. Cox, c/o
The Veterans Home of California, Yountville
McKinley Bldg., Ward 7
P.O. Box 1200
Yountville, CA 94599

BTW, he loves classical music and fine red wine, as always.
I'm fixing to send him some Murcury Living Presence re-issues and a pair of Sony 7506s for his birthday, which was 8/12.

-Drew ( http://drewdaniels.com )

Yountville...love that place. He is sure set up well for red wine in that neighborhood. I know there is a Vet's facility is up on the hill but never been up that far.

moko2000
08-19-2009, 04:54 PM
hi, I am new to the board, but have been reading it for many years. I saw this Hal Cox post and thought I would share my short moment of time with him.
Around 1993 I picked up a single corner enclosure from a thrift store in San Leandro. I could see a D130 silver dust cover through the grill cloth and the price was right so I bought it. Took it home, hooked it up and it sounded great. Then I noticed a small metal oval label on the lower right. "Hal Cox Stereo, SF, CA". I mentioned this name to my audiophile friend and he said Hal had a stereo shop in SF in the 70s-??. There was also a JBL crossover and 075 bullet in the cab. It still works and I use it often.
Then 2002 comes around and I find Hal's phone number on the internet. I give him a call and mention this old cabinet I have of his. It's a pretty simple construction, but I wanted the plans to build another one. So I stopped by his house in Mill Valley during Dec 02 and proceeded to spend the whole day hanging out with him. His girlfriend has just passed away and he was in the process of getting booted from her house and was trying to get his business in order as well as keep his nerves together. He mentioned he was having computer printer issues and gave me his credit card to go buy a new printer. I think I had known him for a total of 30 minutes at this point. A few hours later, he was printing business envelopes and happy as a clam. I remember a few JBL speakers in his house, the metregon, a few hartsfields and some other 80's JBL models I wasnt familar with. We listened to a few albums and drank some wine. I remember his garage with packed to the ceiling with JBL gear. His daughter stopped by and gave me a few music CD's she played on and Hal loaded me up with some more wine and speaker plans. It was the wrong model speakers, but it didnt matter at that point. :)
I got a few pictures lying around I will upload. It was good to see him.
kurt

moko2000
08-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Hal Cox & his garage - Dec 2003

moko2000
06-06-2010, 12:09 AM
the oval emblem was on my corner speaker cab made by Hal Cox. The speaker is in the same condition I got it in back in the early 1990s at a thrift store in San Leandro. It has a D130, 075 and JBL crossover(the model # escapes me right now). That is anti-cat-scratch sticky tape on the bottom. This enclosure still sounds amazing.
46128x46127.46126