PDA

View Full Version : Altec Valencia Crossover Help

DanTana
08-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I had a friend over last week and had him listen to my system, he commented that it sounded good, but it might need new crossover caps. This is something I thought about for awhile and since he's had more experience listening to other Altec's I figured I better check them out. I took apart the N800-F can inside the enclosure. After finally getting all the gunk out and the paper box that had :

EL CAP
4/10.5

On the box, I figure those were the values? There was one capacitor of medium size inside the box, one large capacitor with a smaller one parallel. I figured the medium must be the 4uf one, the large one must be 10uf, and the small one parallel was .5uf. I measured the 4uf cap and it measured 23uf!!! The 10uf one went off my scale, which maxes out at 40uf. Now I replaced these with good, not great caps but the difference was immediately apparent. It was louder, less veiled and better controlled. Now my question is this, did I get the valued correct? I'm assuming I did since the improvement afterwards, but now I want to get some nice foil and film caps. Should I just stick to these values and just swap them out? I know some guys recommend 1st order crossovers and I've read some about the Pi and Hiraga. What have you guys found to be best?

DanTana
08-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Anyone care to chime in? Before I spend $50.00 plus for capacitors?

Zilch
08-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Find the crossover schematic to verify the values.

Dunno what "paper box" is.

Maybe pics would help....

DanTana
08-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Zilch, It was literally a paper box which contained the capacitors inside it. The capacitors were incased in this waxy paper inside of it. Maybe cardboard is a better description, but it wasn't very thick and it was just below the attenuator inside the aluminum crossover box.